Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel that Hill and Blair are the only rotation players that are going hard in the pre-season. Manu, Tony, Tim, RJ, Roger, Dice, I just feel that they are going throught the motions more than playing.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but its part of the stats they have put up.
    It's understandable and to be expected for the vets, but I don't think the young fella's are going through the motions. They might not all be standing out, but I wouldn't say it's for lack of effort.

Besides, Malik's having a pretty damn good camp and preseason, and you can't tell me he isn't going hard..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice use of time

its the preseason, and yep, thats everyone.
    Are you serious? Semantics. Also, stating the obvious. Yes, it's preseason, that means nothing when concerning popularity. It was still preseason when Pardon the Interruption talked about him, it's still preseason when ESPN is writing articles about him. What does popularity have to do with preseason? Obviously, when I spoke of "everyone", I was talking of everyone who matters when it comes to RoY voting. Sportwriters. Sportswriters write articles. Similar to the ones in my previous posting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ You just got mookie'd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^ You just got mookie'd.
    yea, no .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously how the did this guy fall to us?

I mean I get the fact that Duncan was drafted because of Robinson's broken foot (amongst other ailments to the team), and that was just good timing.

I get that Manu was an unheard of foreign kid at a time when foreigners were still overlooked.

I understand that Parker might have dropped because he was just a fast kid who couldn't shoot and never stood out in the assist category.

But everything about Blair should have merited a top 5 draft pick. This is ridiculous. The Spurs are ridiculous. And I just want to laugh at every lame ass troll that ever said we tanked to get Duncan, because when it comes to Blair, they will have no one to blame but their own team's stupidity.

Those asswipe GMs and player personnel gurus must really be kicking themselves now. They spend months analyzing, scouting and dissecting all possible information on prospective NBA rookies. They give them all sorts of intelligence tests and submit them to a battery of personal interviews. All that information and they STILL found a supposed reason to pass on Blair. There's no doubt he should've been a top five pick as orginally projected. Did these guys simply forget all about his rather impressive resume, as a key contributor of a major college program?

Their loss is the Spurs gain. It's unbelievable that the Spurs were able to nab this guy in the 2nd round. This guy is our lottery pick talent without the draft lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm starting to think ROY isn't out of the realm of possibility for Mr. Blair. This kid might be the first second rounder to contend for and possibly win the ROY. How f'ing sweet would that be?
    Is there any second round drafter that won the ROY in the past?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the precocious rookie from the university of pittsburgh had scored 13 of the spurs' previous 15 points, dragging them from a 13-point fourth-quarter deficit to a three-point lead with 3:02 remaining.
    15-13=3?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any second round drafter that won the ROY in the past?
    I guess the answer may be technically yes
    1957-58...Woody Sauldsberry .........Philadelphia Warriors......... 60th pick

There are only two other people not in the top 10 of their draft classes to win ROY:
    1974-75..... Keith Wilkes...... Golden State Warrior........11th pick
    1987-88..... Mark Jackson..... New York Knicks...............18th pick

The full list is here, I'm too tired to post it in the correct table format:Linky
    Last edited by DespЏrado; 10-12-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You saw what happened to Thabeet, right?
    With all due respect to Thabeet, I'd much rather see how Blair fares against Griffin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all due respect to Thabeet, I'd much rather see how Blair fares against Griffin.
    The first LAC-SAS game will be marked on the calendar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The first LAC-SAS game will be marked on the calendar.
    For sure. I want to see Blair do to Griffin what Hill did to Rose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the answer may be technically yes
    1957-58...Woody Sauldsberry .........Philadelphia Warriors......... 60th pick

There are only two other people not in the top 10 of their draft classes to win ROY:
    1974-75..... Keith Wilkes...... Golden State Warrior........11th pick
    1987-88..... Mark Jackson..... New York Knicks...............18th pick

The full list is here, I'm too tired to post it in the correct table format:Linky
    Thanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair will probably post some incredible numbers for the time he does play. I just don't think he gets 25 minutes a night, which is what he will need to get ROY consideration.
    I don't know. If he posts incredible numbers in 20 minutes and have a couple of mind-blowing games (like 20-20 games or something like that) maybe it could be enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think he will get the minutes. Pop just doesn't seem to play rookies that much. Hill showed great promise last year and could not get in the Dallas series even though he was by far the better back up pg.
    BS. Pop has no problems playing rookie, rookies that deserve playing time. Hill hit a slump in the second half of the season which is why Pop stopped playing him. It wasn't because he was a rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How bad ass is it that the Spurs didn't have a first round pick yet draft someone that people can have serious ROY talks about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are blessed with this guy everyone! I hope he gets many minutes this season, watching him play is a delight for my eyes, he does a great job for our team and fits perfectly with the rest of the players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if Blair manages to learn enough of the Spurs defensive scheme so as not to be a big liability, his rebounding and scoring and other intangibles will outweigh any hesitation on Pop's part to give him olenty of minutes. Pop can be flexible too when the situation warrants and Blair may just be that kind of exception to the rule.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go to lakersground.net and see Lakers fans diss this guy as too short but the Spurs will have last laugh as he absolutely tears up the front line of the Lakers alongside Duncan and he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ

Bring it down DB!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go to lakersground.net and see Lakers fans diss this guy as too short but the Spurs will have last laugh as he absolutely tears up the front line of the Lakers alongside Duncan and he will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Nmq2aJeZQ

Bring it down DB!!!
    They have no idea what's going to happen to them, just none. If I am a Laker's fan I at least take notice that Blair might be a little better than advertised. I mean I know I am jumping the gun even mentioning ROY, but I haven't been this legitimately excited since Duncan and Manu were drafted. (Tony didn't win me over until later.) Blair is a game changer. Barring injuries the NBA is soon going to know the name Dejuan Blair.

At this point I don't think there is any ceiling on how good Blair might be. That should scare some folks over in LaLa land. But I guess they still haven't learned their lesson from overlooking Parker and Manu.

The only thing better than beating the Lakers, is ending a Laker's dynasty.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that Blair getting minutes will be predicated on him being a rookie. Our front line rotation has a lot of questions. There is not much that is concrete beyond Duncan, McDyess, Ratliff and Bonner...and those last two will be more or less depending on the situation. If Blair continues to play well he will get minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once again, Bonner's days are numbered. Pop may be giving Bonner a last chance to prove that he deserves to where a spurs Jersey. Pop Is giving everyone a chance to show what they can do. Theirs no way that Blair drops to 5 big in the rotation. Bonner is here cause he can shoot the 3. Last year we needed all the help we could get in the scoring department cause of Tim's bad knee and Manu being out. With Parker being the main creator, all we had left were guys that could shoot open jumpers/3's. So Pop put in three 3pt shooters next to tim and tony to get more scoring opportunuties ( Mason Jr./Finley/Bonner). We have guys that can create their own shot now. RJ can slash/post and shoot the 3, Mcdyess can Shoot/post. Now the important aspect to focus on is Defense, Primarily Rebounding and Shot-blocking. Bonner averaged 4.8 rbds in 23minutes a game last season and I'm not even going to talk about his shotblocking numbers. Ratliff is a legit shotblocker and both Blair ad Ratliff are solid rebounders. With the offense taken care of; since we have a healthy Big 3 along with RJ/DICE and Mason jrs sharp shooting we dont need a big that can shoot 3's. Blair will take a chunk of Bonner's minutes since bonner can't rebound to save his life. I'm kinda irritated that Pop said something about blair getting only 4 rbds ( 1 defensive ). Especially because Bonner averaged only a little over 4 rbds a game. Thats crap, Bonner deserves to get lit into for being 6-10 and not getting rebounds. Pop doesn't get on Bonner when he misses shots ( which is what he is here for ) but he'll get on Blair for not getting enough rebounds. Blair and Ratliff were tied with team high 4 rbds so Blair didn't do atrocious on the boards. All I have to say is this, Bonner has to go. If Pop is playing him to shop him, thats fine (only for a month though ). If he is playing him because of last season's production, then thats nonsense. With the addition of Dice and RJ were not suppose to be running 1-4 sets that much anymore. Which would make bonner pretty much useless in our system, especially since less plays are going to be called and their is supposed to be a motion offense in place now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd expect, because of the difficulty of a rookie adjusting to the long NBA season, wanting to have Blair fresh for the playoffs, plus Spurs watching out long term for Blair's knees, he's not going to be playing more than 20 minutes a game which is what a lot projected as best case scenario in the beginning.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see who is starting opening night.

Because Blair is an elite shotblocker and all...

5 rebounds in the amount of time he was on the court last season is not bad at all, especially considering it isn't his forte. And again, we'll see who is starting on opening night.

He averaged 5. And think about what you're saying. That would be like saying, "God damn, that guy DeJuan Blair is playing terrible. He isn't even knocking down any 3's!!!".
    If your a center or a PF you cant get by on 5 rbds if your playing half the game. So although Bonner is a sharp-shooter he is playing the C/PF position and has to get rebounds. I still wouldn't understand why Pop would roll with him as a starter if you have Dice and then Blair/Ratliff on your bench. And when it came to the shot-blocking I never said Blair is a shot-blocker I said that Ratliff is and Both blair and ratliff can get rebounds. But even if rebounding is not your forte, if your playing that Position and you dont have a solid rebounding SF then you have to get tough and start going for em' regardless. C Bargnani of The Raptors has gotten away with not getting rebounds for 2 seasons. Why? SF Jamario Moon was a good rebounder ( 2007-08 ) SF - Shawn Marion is also a solid rebounder ( 2008-09 ). Spurs SF Michael Finley not so much. That exspoed Bonner big time. Side note Shawn Marion left to go to the Mavs and the Raptors traded shooter Jason Kapono to get Reggie Evans who is known for ( Rebounding ).

Thread Information