Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accused thief could face prison for Tony Parker heist
    By Craig Kapitan - Express-News

Security guard turned Bexar County Jail inmate Christopher James Carolan pleaded no contest Friday to stealing an autographed Michael Jordan jersey from Spurs star Tony Parker.

Carolan, who wore orange jail scrubs and handcuffs as he stood before 186th District Judge Maria Teresa Herr, was arrested in June after Parker's manager showed sheriff's office investigators a Craigslist ad for the jersey that was posted a day after the collectors item went missing.

The jersey, valued at $20,000, was sold for $120, court do ents indicate.

The defendant agreed to a two-year sentence for the theft, as well as a five-year term for an unrelated burglary case. But he has asked the judge to consider letting him serve the terms on probation instead of in prison. As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors have agreed not to weigh in on the probation request during his sentencing hearing next month.

Carolan, 22, was working as a security guard for Price Protective Services and was assigned to look after a gymnasium under construction at Parker's Anagua Springs Ranch estate when the frame containing the jersey was pried open, according to court do ents.

In a police interview, Carolan acknowledged selling a jersey on Craigslist because he was short on cash, but he denied that it was Parker's. He was also the owner of a signed Jordan jersey, which he had received for his birthday, he said. But Carolan's fingerprint was recovered from an empty envelope at Parker's gym that once contained the stolen jersey's certificate of authenticity.

Parker's certificate was recovered from a Craigslist customer who identified Carolan as the seller in a photo line-up.

Outside the courtroom Friday, defense attorney Kyle Simpson said he hopes Parker's celebrity won't hinder his client from getting a fair shake when he asks for probation next month.

“You have a man who's been an upstanding member of the community,” Simpson said, adding that Carolan has no prior felony convictions. “The victim in this case happens to be an NBA all-star, but it's my hope and wish that my client isn't treated any different.”

Prosecutor Jason Garrahan, who handled the burglary charge, said the plea agreement is no different than one he would offer any other accused thief.

Neither Parker nor his representatives were in the courtroom as Friday's hearing took place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unbelievable, unbelievable; unbelievable

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “You have a man who's been an upstanding member of the community,” Simpson said, adding that Carolan has no prior felony convictions

God I hate lawyers.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy should be punished if/when he is found guilty and I believe he is guilty.

Having said that, I hope parker's status as an NBA player doesnt affect the judicial system. If it does, there is something totally wrong with our justice system. His (Parker) standing as an NBA star should have NO BEARING in our justice system and if it does, it will just make me hate "the law" that much more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God I hate lawyers.
    That lawyer is right

Almost every American has stolen a Michael Jordan jersey

I wrote that ====> bishopospurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people suck

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in prison they dont descriminate when it comes to fresh ass

so you like ur sammich boy

Stand-up philosopher CharlieMac's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn 2 years? It was a jersey.

unity in diversity
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am planning to be public defender (that is no joke), and I for one am SHOCKED that a guy who stole approximately $20,000 worth of property from a residence will get PRISON time?!

You can get prison time for that? Next you are going to tell me you can't beat the crap out of people or try to hook up with under age chicks on the internets.

Seriously though, there is a shortage of prison space everywhere because prisons cost a ton of money. Put the violent criminals in prison, and fine the out of white collar and drug criminals. He should get a fair trial and the state should have the correct burdens; he should have to pay res ution and/or return the property, plus be fined. Putting his white-collar ass in prison will just create one less employable American.

BTW, 2 years would probably be mid-term, and he would only serve half of that with good time...if he is in jail now b/c no bail, he might even eventually get time served...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu would have just given him the jersey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    valued at 20 g's

Kooler than Jesus Nathan Explosion's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real crime is one of stupidity. A signed Jordan jersey sold for $120? I would have easily come up with the money, even if I was broke, just to buy it, then turn around and auction it off for at least the estimated value.

Of course, all this assuming that it wasn't stolen.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So now time in prison should be determined by wealth of an object? Get the out of here with that horse .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is USA's law really that loose that some people are arguing whether a thief should get prison time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no trial... he pleaded no contest to the charges and agreed to a two-year term (plus a five-year term on an unrelated charge). He's asked for deferred adjudication, he hasn't been granted it yet. The decision will come down about Aug. 10, IIRC.

bandwagon hater
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is USA's law really that loose that some people are arguing whether a thief should get prison time?
    U.S. Law is ed up, but its still the most fair of ANY country. I still think it could be better, as to how to do that, I dont have a ing clue. Still, it is the best (read: Fairest) law system in the world.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MJ must be losing popularity.. only $120 for an autographed jersey?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody would give a if this happened to a non spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U.S. Law is ed up, but its still the most fair of ANY country. I still think it could be better, as to how to do that, I dont have a ing clue. Still, it is the best (read: Fairest) law system in the world.
    My country's laws are far stricter.

Regarding J.R Smith's case, Smith would have his licence stripped and jailed for 24 months if he killed his friend while driving in Singapore, or if he did not have a linence, a far harsher treatment would be given.

Oh ya, having posession of weed gives you the death sentence if it exceeds a few grams which is why crime rate in Singapore is quite low.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He got what he deserved. if this is worth 20 thousand dollars thats more than robbing a store. Lock his ass up for life lol...naw maybe 5 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good, you steal something then you go to jail.

SpUrsFan4EteRniTy! howbouthemspurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should have his nuts stapled to the wall!! How dare he mess with my dear parker! Stupid Steve Nash always whining and Amare crying about Horry! Jordan better not come out of retirement for this!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am planning to be public defender

Put the violent criminals in prison, and fine the out of white collar and drug criminals.
    Dude no. So ur saying you let madoff run free under house arrest in one of his mansions instead of in jail? GTFO man he will still have access to hidden money whether its in jail or outside...

Ppl who do harsh crimes should all get hanged imo....a fkn rope doesnt cost that much.

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody would give a if this happened to a non spur.
    I still don't give a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i bet ya the dumb was at leasts one door away from panties...but no he had to go for the jersey...dumb .

Thread Information