Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember hoping for Duncan to return in 2000
    Really? The Spurs listed him as day-to-day and Pop kept talking as if it were a real possibility that he'd play the next game. Local and national media had around the clock coverage each day regarding whether or not Duncan was going to play that game. Pop even hinted that Duncan was 100% going to play if the Spurs made it to the second round. The pointed out that Terry Porter tore his meniscus earlier in the season and ended up only missing a couple games.

As it turns out, Duncan actually wasn't ever close to playing. But as it was happening, Pop (and even Duncan) were feeding the hope that #21 was about ready to play.

and the smart ass answer to your question is 1996, but I remember when David broke his finger in '92, and that pretty much killed the playoff hopes right there. Of course, that team was notorious for losing in the first round, so it probably only cost the spurs a victory or two.
    IIRC, in that case, Robinson might have been able to go if the Spurs would have advanced to the second round without him. I know he was supposed to be able return either in the first or second week of May.

But yeah, that team winning a first round series without Robinson was about as likely as this team winning a championship without Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the Spurs would never use the sycophantic Say-town media to mislead the fan base.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? The Spurs listed him as day-to-day and Pop kept talking as if it were a real possibility that he'd play the next game. Local and national media had around the clock coverage each day regarding whether or not Duncan was going to play that game. Pop even hinted that Duncan was 100% going to play if the Spurs made it to the second round. The pointed out that Terry Porter tore his meniscus earlier in the season and ended up only missing a couple games.

As it turns out, Duncan actually wasn't ever close to playing. But as it was happening, Pop (and even Duncan) were feeding the hope that #21 was about ready to play.
    That's true. Duncan tore his meniscus on April 11 with four games left in the regular season. They listed him as day-to-day and never said he was officially out for the playoffs or anything. People were even saying that he might play through it and it wasn't going to get any worse by playing, but the Spurs never intended to play him at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just got back from houston

i heard the news right before i entered that pitful toyota center for monday night raw

it hasn't hit me to now

the time of the year i look foward too and possibly are best chances are just getting to the 2nd round

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get Well Manu...we still have a CHANCE in the playoffs, im not giving up yet.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'm not doubting your facts. I didn't live in the area at the time, so I wasn't subjected to 24 hours a day of propoganda and wishful thinking. If I heard any of it, it's possible that I simply just didn't believe what they were saying. That season ended when he landed after that dunk, and I remember seeing the replays on the news and thinking exactly that.

IIRC, in that case, Robinson might have been able to go if the Spurs would have advanced to the second round without him. I know he was supposed to be able return either in the first or second week of May.

But yeah, that team winning a first round series without Robinson was about as likely as this team winning a championship without Manu.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember that they just needed to try to get through the first round, but it just wasn't going to happen. They played really hard and were just overmatched by the Suns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been quite a long time since a Spurs team has been bitten this bad by the injury bug - but I guess we were due. Sucks big time and I just hope we can get completely healthy and regroup during the off-season and then break the even-year curse and win it all in 2010!!! :
    This should come as no surprise. Unfortunately, that's what happens to older players. They become more susceptible to injury. It's simply a consequence of age.

BTW - I think it's also highly unlikely that the Celtics repeat - they've been hit with injuries too; and with KG not at 100%, I don't think they're going very far either.:
    See my preceeding comment.

That's why I'm imploring the FO for having better roster balance, in terms of both talent, skill and age. That's where I blame the Spurs. It's no secret that Manu's incredible talent cannot be easily replaced by a single player. Yet, if the team wasn't relying on a group featuring Finley, Bowen, and Udoka, the void wouldn't be as significant and collectively the team would be better positioned to make up for his absence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The curse of the calender.............

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can't believe it's over. What a weird season. Actually, this season seems like more of an extension of the Lakers series last year.

I've been trying to figure out how to characterize this season myself, and an extension of last year's Lakers series captures it perfectly. Unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu brother Leandro told to Clarin, Argentina newspaper that the Spurs told Manu to skip the Olympics but Manu decided to pay and now is paying the price.

Segundo Leandro, seu irmão se machucou na semifinal dos Jogos Olímpicos, contra os Estados Unidos. “A direção do San Antonio disse que ele poderia ter este problema, mas ele (Manu) insistiu em ir para os Jogos Olímpicos”, relatou. “Agora terá que pagar as consequências de ter defendido a camisa argentina.”
    He also said the Spurs will put a clause in his next contract that will keep him out of Argentina NT

“Quando Manu for renovar contrato, posso dizer, seguramente, que o San Antonio pedirá, por meio de uma cláusula, que ele não volte a defender a seleção argentina”, afirmou Leandro.
    I think our friends from Argentina can give us more details on this.

This is the link in Portuguese http://playoff.uol.com.br/nba/leandr...dido-argentina

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You cannot put a clause in a contract (as far as I know) that would prohibit a player from playing with his country.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can put a clause prohibiting someone from riding a motorcycle or going skiiing, I'm not sure how playing in highly compe ive international basketball tournaments is any different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You cannot put a clause in a contract (as far as I know) that would prohibit a player from playing with his country.
    Why not? Is there an NBA rule against it? Under an employment contract, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that if both parties agree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 years ago, the NBA send a memo to the league after Spurs asked Manu not to play with his NT. Some extracts of this memo :

This is a reminder that, under the NBA's agreement with FIBA, NBA teams are required to permit their players to play in certain major national-team compe ions, provided that adequate insurance is obtained.
    These include the Olympics, world championships, continental championships [such as the European Championships], and relevant qualifying tournaments.
    The NBA/FIBA agreement also provides that NBA teams may not take any steps that are intended to deter players from playing in such compe ions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not? Is there an NBA rule against it? Under an employment contract, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that if both parties agree.
    2 years ago, the NBA send a memo to the league after Spurs asked Manu not to play with his NT. Soem extracts of this memo :
    This is a reminder that, under the NBA's agreement with FIBA, NBA teams are required to permit their players to play in certain major national-team compe ions, provided that adequate insurance is obtained.
    These include the Olympics, world championships, continental championships [such as the European Championships], and relevant qualifying tournaments.
    The NBA/FIBA agreement also provides that NBA teams may not take any steps that are intended to deter players from playing in such compe ions

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing for your country is one of the highest honours you can receive in sports, stop all this bull .

It’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it! ~Sweetmelody~'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Husband send me a text informing me that Manu was out...I still don't want to believe it :-((

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we need him so bad!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Players can do whatever they want in their FREE TIME.
    I reather have a player who plays for this NT in the offseason,tham a players who spends all that time smoking weed.
    Dont you think?
    not if it is in their contract that they sign when they get their new deal
    and if I am the spurs it is the contract extension

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not if it is in their contract that they sign when they get their new deal
    and if I am the spurs it is the contract extension
    Can't you read? Teams are not allowed to put that into a contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , Players can do whatever they want in their FREE TIME.
    I reather have a player who plays for this NT in the offseason,tham a players who spends all that time smoking weed.
    Dont you think?
    If you're under contract, you have an obligation to your employer to keep yourself prepared for work and not take unnecessary risks which would otherwise impact your ability to fulfill your contractual obligations. Regardless of whether it's allowed to be explicitly stated in a contract or not, it's a moral issue for the employee.

So the question really is: Is playing for your national team in the off season considered an unnecessary risk?

That's not a question I care to take a stab at......

Thread Information