Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I leave for an hour and come back to read this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should of let the ankle heal in the summer instead of playing in the ing olympics. Thats all he needed after surgery, was to stay off it all summer long instead of making it a residual injury.

He let us down this time...
    You realize that it's a different leg, right?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize that it's a different leg, right?
    If I'm reading LJ's post correctly, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody but L.A.........

nuff said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm reading LJ's post correctly, that would make sense, wouldn't it?
    I don't believe what LJ is saying. I think they are two independent injuries

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody but L.A.........

nuff said
    that is exactly how i feel.

+ a million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12-18 months of recovery?

Wow is it possible to have an injury that takes 18 months to heal?

And if it does take that long, will he be close to what he is before the injured?
    Or will it still bother him after the recovery?
    Here's an article from a NFL guy that had a stress fracture. Took him 10 weeks after surgery...

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nf...fm?news_id=468

Now, I don't know how similar this is, but that 12 to 18 months post was definitely from a Lakers troll and not funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most important thing right now it to get word from the Spurs that Manu can be healthy by training camp. If Manu is out into next season, then we are talking end of the championship reign.

If he can come back full next year and Duncan's knees can get a good amount of rest during the summer, then next year isn't too bleak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an article from a NFL guy that had a stress fracture. Took him 10 weeks after surgery...

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nf...fm?news_id=468

Now, I don't know how similar this is, but that 12 to 18 months post was definitely from a Lakers troll and not funny.
    Well Yao got a stress fracture in his foot in Feb 08 and he ended up playing in the Olympics, right?

So I don't think it will be a year or more recovery time. But like I said, I want to know why they thought the marrow edema was worth mentioning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No authority has said its a 12 month recovery time. Just someone here posted that about the marrow edema.
    Correct, the marrow edema, Think of the healing as organized scar tissue. Initially the body may overreact a bit, forming scar tissue and adhesions. but as you slowly get to be a bit more active, that scar tissue will reorganize and act as that supporting structure. As your activity increases, unnecessary scar tissue will likely fall by the wayside so that the final outcome (12-18 months) is a a well organized tissue structure!!

Reppin' Timmy's homeland. VI_Massive's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A few thoughts....

1. No Ewing Theory potential here, right?

2. Do we sit Timmy till the playoffs a la Garnett? The rest won't heal him but it will make him fresher for the playoffs. My instinct is to say no. We were dealt a body blow and any miniscule chance we have of doing something in the playoffs is going to come from our leaders playing angry, and hauling us to victory on their backs.

3. I hate to say it, but I think this might be the end of meaningful contributions from Manu. We all know guards go more quickly than big men and Manu's been playing pro ball for almost 15 years now. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he'll ever have that explosiveness so necessary to him playing at a high level. I think the best we can hope for is a Grant Hill-type player. Serviceable, but not special like he once was. Again, I hope I am wrong.

4. This brings us to "what the do we do with Manu?". If Milwaukee offered us Jefferson for Manu straight up should we take it? I think probably yes. If we can use his expiring deal to get a young, reasonably affordable 3, then I think we should do it. There will be plenty of teams looking for an expiring deal like Manu's in the offseason and I think we should take advantage of it. I love Manu, but I'm tired of the Spurs being old.

EDIT: I still advocate trading Manu for a good, younger, affordable 3 if it can be done, but thinking more about it now, the only scenario in which we get anything good for him is a pure salary dump by another team (thankfully those are more common these days) because he'll need to show he's all healed, etc.

5. I am very interested to see how the team reacts. This is the first time, probably since TD's arrival when there are no expectations on the team. Our singular goal is always a championship and now everyone knows we're almost certainly not going to get one. How will they react? Guys like Gooden, Mason, Udoka, Hill, and Hairston (if they bring him back) have themselves to play for, whether its their next contract, showing they deserve to be in the league, with the Spurs, or whatever. But the heart and soul, Duncan, Parker, Bowen, Thomas etc. are all established players with nothing left to prove. How will they react? Will they respond angrily, upset that people are counting them out? Will they give up? Its hard for me to imagine their reaction being either of these. Giving up is pretty unlikely, right? I think we can all agree on that. But do you really expect the Spurs to get angry and all " you for doubting us"? They are compe ors, but they are realists who know that Manu was their shot to win the championship. I am fascinated to see how they will react to it. Personally, I'm hoping they adopt the " you" mentality and give the playoffs all they can handle. I think they could make a good run of it if Timmy were healthy, but that's not the case either.
    Last edited by VI_Massive; 04-06-2009 at 08:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Correct, the marrow edema, Think of the healing as organized scar tissue. Initially the body may overreact a bit, forming scar tissue and adhesions. but as you slowly get to be a bit more active, that scar tissue will reorganize and act as that supporting structure. As your activity increases, unnecessary scar tissue will likely fall by the wayside so that the final outcome (12-18 months) is a a well organized tissue structure!!
    man. I don't know how to respond to this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe what LJ is saying. I think they are two independent injuries
    Yeah, it's impossible to know for sure. But stress fractures are pretty common for overcompensating previous injuries. However, they can also occur out of the blue ..... so there's no way to know for sure either way.

If I had to bet, I'd say his first injury led to the second ... just because of how weird he was running and moving once he returned to action. It was like he was running on stilts.

But I could be wrong.

Either way doesn't matter. What matters is making sure Manu will be able to return by training camp and that the Spurs have a smart exit strategy this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, there go the playoffs. Regroup for next year.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Yao got a stress fracture in his foot in Feb 08 and he ended up playing in the Olympics, right?

So I don't think it will be a year or more recovery time. But like I said, I want to know why they thought the marrow edema was worth mentioning.
    Found this online:

Marrow edema is a generalized response to either trauma or stress of the bone marrow. Bone marrow edema may be the first recognizable MR finding in many conditions, including transient synovitis, trauma, stress, infection, ischemia, tumor and reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
    If I read that correctly, then the edema is not the problem, it's the red flag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes me want to is Manu is almost exactly on the same course as Sarunas Marciulionis. If he continues on that Marciulionis trail, he'll return next year only to see the injury return again and be forced into retirement

Reppin' Timmy's homeland. VI_Massive's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What makes me want to is Manu is almost exactly on the same course as Sarunas Marciulionis. If he continues on that Marciulionis trail, he'll return next year only to see the injury return again and be forced into retirement
    Shouldn't you sign in as KBP before posting this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is seriously depressing....

Just kicking ass and winning Championships!!! VaSpursFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs fan in me doesn't want to believe this...but the rational side, agrees with this. manu only knows one way to play which may lead to this becoming a chronic thing. i hope not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, what shocking and horrible news. I honestly cannot imagine how this team will be in the upcoming season's without a semi-healthy Manu contributing. If he doesn't recover from this fully or is forced into retirement or traded, this could very well be the end of the championship contending era in the Duncan era. I honestly don't even want to believe it.

Finley, Bowen, Udoka, Thomas, Vaughn will all be a year older next season...and I'm not sure any of them with the exception of Bowen should even be kept around.

Wow, just wow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

On to 2010. What a ty end to the season, next year is likely the last shot to get Number 5..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, the only quasi-positive aspect of this is that expectations are crap bottom right now. I hope that's enough to get the younger guys on the court, and finally give them some playing time.

For those who know, Hairston can be on the playoff roster, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's impossible to know for sure. But stress fractures are pretty common for overcompensating previous injuries. However, they can also occur out of the blue ..... so there's no way to know for sure either way.

If I had to bet, I'd say his first injury led to the second ... just because of how weird he was running and moving once he returned to action. It was like he was running on stilts.

But I could be wrong.

Either way doesn't matter. What matters is making sure Manu will be able to return by training camp and that the Spurs have a smart exit strategy this season.
    So the way Manu was running was like an impact wrench where there is constant pounding on his leg, instead of smooth movements where the impact is absorbed, similar to a shock absorber. Sorry for the comparison. Its what comes to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man that sucks .

Get well Manu.

For those who think it's because of the Olympics, there is no way to tell. First Manu would have had surgery Olympics or not from what was said at the beginning of the season, so overcompensation could have happened and end his season anyway.

Second, stress fracture can happen without overcompensation, I used to do track and field and I have a number of friends triple jumpers who suffered the injury, just the repeated pounding can do it.

So let just support Manu in this difficult time and stop being bags.

Thread Information