Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, I would definitely wear a Toros jersey.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, I didn't know where you live.

If anyone is thinking of coming up, there are three Saturdays when the Spurs aren't playing.

Dec. 13 vs. Albuquerque
    Jan. 10 vs. Colorado
    Apr. 4 vs. Iowa

the ovens are our hearts. BlackBellamy's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, I didn't know where you live.

If anyone is thinking of coming up, there are three Saturdays when the Spurs aren't playing.

Dec. 13 vs. Albuquerque
    Jan. 10 vs. Colorado
    Apr. 4 vs. Iowa
    I'm not sure the quality of these games as I haven't kept up with D-league. However, I would like to see a game that we could compete and possibly (probably) win. So with that in mind, which game would you recommend?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper, the Toros have a pretty solid roster. Albuquerque and Colorado have a lot of talent as well, so those games should be compe ive. Iowa looks a little weak, but it's hard to tell with so many new players, and impossible to predict the team look anything like it does now in April.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toros' first task of season: getting to know each other
    Many new faces dot Austin roster.
    By Blake Hurtik

Quin Snyder isn't thinking about a return trip to the NBA Development League finals.

He's more concerned about getting his players acquainted with one another.

The second-year coach of the Austin Toros led the team to its first finals appearance last season, but he has only a handful of players returning from that team.

Such is the nature of minor-league basketball, where everyone wants to take the next step.

"In order to get out of here, you've got to be here," Snyder said. "We have a whole new staff, which is a real compliment to the organization. (Former assistant coach) Roy Rogers is (an NBA assistant) in New Jersey now. Even our volunteer video guy got a job with the Milwaukee Bucks."

So while players like Marcus Williams and Ian Mahinmi will start the season with Austin, the question is how long they might be around . The Toros open the 2008-09 season tonight against Utah.

"The key thing for us has been that we've had a group of core guys that can help teach the new guys what we're doing on the court," Snyder said.

Williams wasn't a part of the team's playoff run after getting called up by the Los Angeles Clippers in March, and he hopes to be back in the NBA soon.

"When I get another opportunity, I'm going to take advantage of it," said Williams, who starred at Arizona and was a second-round draft pick by the San Antonio Spurs, the Toros' NBA affiliate. "But I'm here now, and I'm definitely focused on the team and winning games."

The Toros weren't supposed to have Mahinmi, who made the Spurs' roster but was sent down to Austin to rehab a sprained right ankle.

"I feel like it's a great chance to get back in shape and to get my rhythm back," said Mahinmi, who averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds last season for Austin in 45 games.

Snyder built his 2007-08 squad around the 6-foot-11-inch French import and said Mahinmi carried the team during its run to the finals. Along with Williams, the team had lost its leading scorer in Keith Langford, Andre Barrett (Clippers) and DerMarr Johnson (Spurs).

"But we had Ian," Snyder said. "Having a guy that's the best big man in the league — he anchored the team. That was the stabilizing force for us throughout the year."

But Snyder is no stranger to seeing fresh faces in the gym, and this season he has some talented newcomers .

Malik Houston, a 6-6 forward out of Oregon , will see plenty of playing time. Traded to San Antonio after Phoenix made him a 2008 second-round pick, he attended the Spurs' training camp and was the last player cut .

" Malik and Marcus should give us two really good wings," Snyder said. "They both have a pretty good feel for what we're doing offensively and from a communication standpoint."

Houston will benefit from having already spent time with Snyder and Toros assistant coach Wendell Alexis during summer league play.

"It was great experience," said Hairston, who scored 20 points in the Toros' preseason finale. "We already have a great relationship, and I already knew some of the guys here."

Guard Robert McKiver, the Toros' first pick in the D-League draft, gives the team an outside scoring threat. A two-time first-team All-Conference USA pick at Houston, McKiver averaged 21.4 points per game in two seasons with the Cougars.

The Toros lost both of their preseason games , committing 30 turnovers in a 120-104 loss to the Colorado 14ers on Nov. 22.

"I feel like we've practiced better than we've played," Snyder said. "Some of it is just getting familiar with each other and for me, too, learning different guys' strengths."

Said Hairston, "We can't treat it like it's the D-League. We all have to come to an agreement that we have to work hard and sacrifice some to get where we want to be."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like they went ahead and cut O'Neal Mims and kept McKiver and Minor. Not a bad plan considering they will have Ian for a few weeks. Too bad for Mims though.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like Hairston is OK with being there. Hopefully he works hard and earns a call from the Spurs later this season.

Can't Start Threads
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this all mean Ian is gonna have his jersery retired in Austin? Or is he gonna play for the Spurs in the near future?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So does this all mean Ian is gonna have his jersery retired in Austin? Or is he gonna play for the Spurs in the near future?
    How could you tell if I answered, bag? You have me on ignore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How could you tell if I answered, bag? You have me on ignore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian is injured again.

edit: false alert, he is back in the game but he isn't healthy at all.
    Last edited by Bruno; 11-28-2008 at 08:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What?!?!?! How?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i've been having terrible buffering, mostly only audio.

But I saw Mahinmi on the bench making faces like he was in pain and it seemed like he had a trainer in front of him, this was after he had come back into the game after leaving for the lockerrooms and running back, I thought he just needed to the restroom. Anyway, after being back in he clanked a shot and got called for a moving screen, then when I got it working again he was on the bench grimacing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ---------

still only audio, but Mahinmi is back in the game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian 20 minutes 4pts 1rebs
    Malik 12pts 11rebs
    Williams 27pts 10rebs

I think it'll take a while for Ian to be back. I think he's not healthy

Game tie in OT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn it.
    Come on Ian, we're gonna need you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik tie the game at the line

I think it'll go to a 2nd OT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player that can't stay on the court is of no use to anyone. Come on, Ian.
    He has the potential to put the Spurs over the top. They would be stupid good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player that can't stay on the court is of no use to anyone.
    That's why he's not with the Spurs.

He's got a tight lid on his minutes. He's pretty gunshy out there. I think something may have felt funny during the moves he used in the first few minutes. He went back with the trainer but came out fairly quickly and played his 20 and then iced up. Just another rehab day -- we're going to have to just see how he's moving these next few games. The stats don't mean anything at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why he's not with the Spurs.

He's got a tight lid on his minutes. He's pretty gunshy out there. I think something may have felt funny during the moves he used in the first few minutes. He went back with the trainer but came out fairly quickly and played his 20 and then iced up. Just another rehab day -- we're going to have to just see how he's moving these next few games. The stats don't mean anything at this point.
    Thanks for the updates Chump.

You've got to wonder how much Ian has it his head to just go out there, get his minutes, and do everything possible to try an avoid another set-back. I can't say I'd blame him if that were the case, but that's usually the kind of mindframe that leaves you vulnerable to injury.

Chump, what kind of defense is being played on Ian? I mean, is he basically getting treated as a D-League Duncan, where defenses are devised to contain him, or is it pretty standard individual post-defense?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The stats don't mean anything at this point.
    But the volume shooting by Marcus is slightly alarming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ian literally went down on the first play of the game and then went back to the locker room. I was pissed.

Thread Information