Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SF seems to be the weekest link in the Spurs rotation this year with only Udaka and Bowen currently on the roster. Do you think the Spurs will address this need in free agency or will they stand pat? Who should they go after to address this need?

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe.

reppin the 16th letter! Fillmoe's Avatar
    My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    we will give you francisco garcia for TD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's already been addressed: Udoka and Bowen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barnes for the money we have left would be a solid signing. Just like all the support players on the Spurs, he would not catapult us over the top, but would be a nice plug in that would allow for us to maintain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Backcourt is nearly set. Plus, the Spurs will probably grab another wing in FA.

I think Udoka will log a lot of minutes at SF. I think he earned the increase in playing time and plus he will be in year 2 of the SA system.

Where Everything Happens The Franchise's Avatar
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Barnes for the money we have left would be a solid signing. Just like all the support players on the Spurs, he would not catapult us over the top, but would be a nice plug in that would allow for us to maintain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Earl Boykins at SF could help us a lot. Unfortunately Pop and RC are probably just going to pray real hard every day and hope God almighty turns Bowen in a 26 year old again.

I wouldn't personally bet on it, but weirdest things have happened...

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said this before, but Barnes could be the next Horry given the right situation (like playing for the Spurs). He's a pretty good spot-up shooter like Rob despite his statistical fall-off last year, is a good rebounder despite his wirey fame, is a good defender with a high b-ball IQ....he actually has better handles than Bob ever had, even when he played for the Rockets. I'd love to think there is some conspiring going on behind closed doors that most of us don't know about given the nature of many of the Spurs' FA signings in recent years. Got get'em guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    udoka at SF is a dumb move against most teams

I'm tellin ya, if Bowen doesn't have much left, we might as well be playing 4 on 5 for the entire season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    udoka at SF is a dumb move against most teams

I'm tellin ya, if Bowen doesn't have much left, we might as well be playing 4 on 5 for the entire season.
    Bowen lost a step last year...Udoka is too small to guard PF (Odom, West) and too slow to guard a SG/SF (Kobe)...Barnes could probably do both...not saying he's better overall than Bowen or Udoka but he'd help us where Bruce and Ime have problems....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist at the 3 could work

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen lost a step last year...Udoka is too small to guard PF (Odom, West) and too slow to guard a SG/SF (Kobe)...Barnes could probably do both...not saying he's better overall than Bowen or Udoka but he'd help us where Bruce and Ime have problems....
    Barnes is going to Phoenix. And better get used to Bowen and Udoka because that's what you're going to see all year long...

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SF seems to be the weekest link in the Spurs rotation this year with only Udaka and Bowen currently on the roster. Do you think the Spurs will address this need in free agency or will they stand pat? Who should they go after to address this need?
    Why are you asking this here? Call your agent friends and find out who they're talking to.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's going to be Gist or bust for Bowen's backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen
    Udoka
    Gist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen
    Udoka
    Gist
    Gist at this point isn't even close to logging consistent SF minutes, and MAY not be able to even play SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will have Bowen, Finley and Udoka at SF. It's not great but it isn't Spurs' "weakest link".

Spurs' situation at PF is way worse. Duncan and Thomas are centers and too slow to play PF in most matchups. Spurs have Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi and Gist to play that spot. Oberto is a limited player while Bonner, Mahinmi and Gist are huge question marks.
    If answers to these questions marks are negative ones, it will be quite a disaster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will have Bowen, Finley and Udoka at SF. It's not great but it isn't Spurs' "weakest link".

Spurs' situation at PF is way worse. Duncan and Thomas are centers and too slow to play PF in most matchups. Spurs have Oberto, Bonner, Mahinmi and Gist to play that spot. Oberto is a limited player while Bonner, Mahinmi and Gist are huge question marks.
    If answers to these questions marks are negative ones, it will be quite a disaster.
    Agree, this is a big hole.

I can think of Nachbar as the only one in FA that can fill it. Otherwise, we'll have to rely on Gist to backup Bowen and Udoka.

Udoka btw is definitely an undersized player!

Bonner is undersized also at PF.

Oberto and Thomas are undersized at center.

Udoka, Bonner, Oberto and Thomas are all athletically challenged.

We possibly are going to get diminshing returns from Bowen, Oberto and thomas due to age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs SF/SG positions are interchangable. The Spurs wing rotation consists of Bowen/Manu/Mason/Udoka/Finley (or another FA).

Their bigs are Duncan/Oberto/Mahinmi/Bonner.

I'm a little more worried about bigs than wings. Though since it's only July, I'm not really worried much at all.

Gist is sort of a wild card. Hopefully he shows enough through the rest of the summer and into training camp to be worth keeping around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he's not a popular name on this board but I'd consider brining in Quinton Ross if he'll come cheap. The Spurs will need to replace Bowen soon and Udoka just doesn't have the quickness to guard the range of players Bowen can. Ross is Bowen-like in that he has exceptional agility and can stay in front of almost any type of player.

Ross as a deep reserve who tries to incorporate a corner three into his repertoire and be Bowen insurance wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't love him as a player but he'd actual be useful in the short term and could grow to be a vital long term player.

The bad part is he has no offensive talent ... but then again if he did, he wouldn't be available for scraps.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know he's not a popular name on this board but I'd consider brining in Quinton Ross if he'll come cheap. The Spurs will need to replace Bowen soon and Udoka just doesn't have the quickness to guard the range of players Bowen can. Ross is Bowen-like in that he has exceptional agility and can stay in front of almost any type of player.

Ross as a deep reserve who tries to incorporate a corner three into his repertoire and be Bowen insurance wouldn't be a bad idea. Don't love him as a player but he'd actual be useful in the short term and could grow to be a vital long term player.

The bad part is he has no offensive talent ... but then again if he did, he wouldn't be available for scraps.

Why must a limited offensive player be insurance for Bowen? There are more ways to win then try to replicate past teams with trying to fill in similar talented players.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs SF/SG positions are interchangable. The Spurs wing rotation consists of Bowen/Manu/Mason/Udoka/Finley (or another FA).

Their bigs are Duncan/Oberto/Mahinmi/Bonner.

I'm a little more worried about bigs than wings. Though since it's only July, I'm not really worried much at all.

Gist is sort of a wild card. Hopefully he shows enough through the rest of the summer and into training camp to be worth keeping around.

Yes the bigs are a problem. You didnt list Thomas but I do expect he will be with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    James Gist!

Thread Information