Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that the league has, very quietly, revamped the way that officials are going to be supervised, assigned, trained, and analyzed. Even more interesting that the person charged with doing all of that is someone from outside of the NBA and the officiating fraternity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469129

NBA defines new role for oversight of referee operations

A United States Army general has been hired by the NBA to the newly created position of senior vice president for referee operations, the league announced Tuesday.

Ronald L. Johnson, a two-star general who recently retired from active duty as deputy commanding general of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, will be responsible for all aspects of the NBA's officiating program, including recruiting, training and development, scheduling, data management and analysis, and work rules enforcement.

Johnson will report to Joel Litvin, the NBA's president for league and basketball operations.

"As I leave the military and return to civilian life, I can't imagine a more interesting and challenging position," Johnson said in a statement. "Although I don't have a basketball background, other than as a lifelong fan, I am confident that my experience as an Army commander and engineer has equipped me to bring leadership and innovation to the NBA's exceptional officiating program."

The announcement of the new role comes as disgraced referee Tim Donaghy's July 14 sentencing looms for his role in a gambling scheme. The 41-year-old Donaghy pleaded guilty last year to felony charges of taking cash payoffs from gamblers in the 2006-07 season. He faces up to 33 months in prison.

Johnson's hiring formalizes the separation of the league's referee and basketball operations functions, as previously announced by the league. Stu Jackson will continue as executive vice president of basketball operations and remain responsible for all other domestic and international basketball matters.

"Ron's wealth of leadership and management experience, together with his engineering expertise in areas such as systems analysis, processes, and operations, make him an ideal candidate to lead our officiating program," commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "Our referees are the best in the world but they never stop striving to improve and Ron has made a career out of getting the very best out of people."

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this doesnt make any sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing to see here. A general is in charge now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Alhough I don't have a basketball background, other than as a lifelong fan, I am confident that my experience as an Army commander and engineer has equipped me to bring leadership and innovation to the NBA's exceptional officiating program."
    Great, bring in someone without a detailed understanding of how officiating should work. Who's going to tell him how it should work? Why, it'll be Stern and Stu. Brilliant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that the league has, very quietly, revamped the way that officials are going to be supervised, assigned, trained, and analyzed. Even more interesting that the person charged with doing all of that is someone from outside of the NBA and the officiating fraternity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469129

NBA defines new role for oversight of referee operations

A United States Army general has been hired by the NBA to the newly created position of senior vice president for referee operations, the league announced Tuesday.

Ronald L. Johnson, a two-star general who recently retired from active duty as deputy commanding general of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, will be responsible for all aspects of the NBA's officiating program, including recruiting, training and development, scheduling, data management and analysis, and work rules enforcement.

Johnson will report to Joel Litvin, the NBA's president for league and basketball operations.

"As I leave the military and return to civilian life, I can't imagine a more interesting and challenging position," Johnson said in a statement. "Although I don't have a basketball background, other than as a lifelong fan, I am confident that my experience as an Army commander and engineer has equipped me to bring leadership and innovation to the NBA's exceptional officiating program."

The announcement of the new role comes as disgraced referee Tim Donaghy's July 14 sentencing looms for his role in a gambling scheme. The 41-year-old Donaghy pleaded guilty last year to felony charges of taking cash payoffs from gamblers in the 2006-07 season. He faces up to 33 months in prison.

Johnson's hiring formalizes the separation of the league's referee and basketball operations functions, as previously announced by the league. Stu Jackson will continue as executive vice president of basketball operations and remain responsible for all other domestic and international basketball matters.

"Ron's wealth of leadership and management experience, together with his engineering expertise in areas such as systems analysis, processes, and operations, make him an ideal candidate to lead our officiating program," commissioner David Stern said in a statement. "Our referees are the best in the world but they never stop striving to improve and Ron has made a career out of getting the very best out of people."
    It should be a board, not this dictator bull . WTF is going on these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Drop down and gimme 20 Joey!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I think the General is likely to seek out his own basketball experts -- likely some new voices -- and use those to implement. I don't think General Johnson will be sitting by his computer late at night trying to figure out which officials should call which playoff games or anything like that.

I also think there might be some advantage to the perception that the fraternity isn't being run by the same cadre of individuals that have always run it. It might create some more accountability for on-court handling of games and players and might instill some consequences for enforcing old grudges, favoring particular teams, or other sorts of misconduct.

Silence surpasses speech. duncan228's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is interesting. Thanks for the info FWD. When things are done this quietly there's usually a reason. It will be fascinating to watch unfold.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering we didn't even know this position was out there, it's hard to put much stock in it at this point. For all we know this guy has known Stern or Stu Jackson or someone else high up in the league for years, and what better way to get all the criticism off your back than hire an 'outsider' with credentials like he's got?

Now, if they announce in a month that Bavetta, Salvatore, and Crawford are fired, then we might have something of substance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Considering we didn't even know this position was out there, it's hard to put much stock in it at this point. For all we know this guy has known Stern or Stu Jackson or someone else high up in the league for years, and what better way to get all the criticism off your back than hire an 'outsider' with credentials like he's got?

Now, if they announce in a month that Bavetta, Salvatore, and Crawford are fired, then we might have something of substance.
    The story does indicate that the position is newly-created. For whatever it's worth, the league announced last summer that it had created a 3-headed monster to supervise officials -- Stu Jackson doing his usual thing as the grand commandant of the officiating corps, Ronnie Nunn working on development and training, and Bernie Fryer doing the actual supervision and evaluation of game officials.

It's hard to tell what the announcement of the new position means, if anything, to that structure, but I'd guess that we're dealing with either of two possibilities: (1) adding another layer of bureaucracy to make things appear to have changed; or (2) an overhaul of the existing system that will result in reassignments of Jackson, Nunn, and Fryer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this doesnt make any sense
    yes, it does. When you have as many people from different quarters--players, fans, sportswritersl congresscritters-- criticizing your referees and questioning their honesty and the league's overall character, you have to act and be seen to be acting with impartiality.

Bringing in an outsider to possibly reform the system is one way to do that and has a historical precedent.

When baseball had the same problem, they brought in Judge Kennesaw Landis, a complete outsider, to run baseball.

Goodwill Ambassador spurs_fan_in_exile's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change #1: In order to cut down on player complaints, officials will be issued side arms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Change #1: In order to cut down on player complaints, officials will be issued side arms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, it does. When you have as many people from different quarters--players, fans, sportswritersl congresscritters-- criticizing your referees and questioning their honesty and the league's overall character, you have to act and be seen to be acting with impartiality.

Bringing in an outsider to possibly reform the system is one way to do that and has a historical precedent.

When baseball had the same problem, they brought in Judge Kennesaw Landis, a complete outsider, to run baseball.
    I agree with you, but I think there's also some valid concern for the perception that this is little more than a facade, given how little the report says about dismantling or morphing the rest of the existing structure.

I will say this, from what I understand of the league's heirarchy, it does seem as though General Johnson will be assuming a position that is superior to or at least the equal of the role that Stu Jackson has played. It's not altogether clear to me how the league's heirarchy works at the highest levels, but it does appear that Stu Jackson (Executive VP of Basketball Operations) has been reporting directly to Joel Litvin (President, League and Basketball Operations). If that's true, and if General Johnson is to report to Litvin, it would suggest that Stu Jackson has, at least to some degree, been trumped. Now, if Jackson is reporting to General Johnson, I'm not sure that there will actually be much change; if, however, Jackson is out of the loop and no longer involved with officiating, I'd say this is the manifestation of a real change in the league's structure. I'm not sure which of those things is true, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will bring the same a en and managerial skill to the oversight of NBA referees that I brought to the maintenance of levees in New Orleans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's that former NBA ref who criticized officiating a few months ago?

He should be in charge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if anything it'll make the refs responsible to a chain of command.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will bring the same a en and managerial skill to the oversight of NBA referees that I brought to the maintenance of levees in New Orleans.
    Yeah, that occurred to me, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This story is S bag Stern at his best. He knows no one will really call him out on his bull . ESPN doesn't really have the balls since they broadcast NBA games.

He's turned the NBA into the WWE with all the phantom/superstar calls (Lakers Vs. Kings in '02), the no-calls at the end of games (Fisher on Barry in this year's WCF), make-up calls (every game with Kobe), refs who act like people come out to see them (Joey 'I cheat on my taxes' Crawford) etc.

Stern's gotta go before NASCAR and MMA passes the NBA in popularity. Fans will only put up with so much crap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm not naive enough to think this will fix everything but I like the idea of giving the keys to the refs to an outsider. If he mixes things up, rises the accountability bar and actually has the power to suspend refs for poor performance -- this could do wonders for both perception and reality. We'll see but this looks like a good start.

It should be pretty easy to tell next season if this guy is just another yes-man or if he'll have power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, one person should not be making the end all decision in any matter. A good step ? W/e, they could've just made it 100% by having at least a three headed panel. But, we're dealing still with half steps instead of solving things entirely, such bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy needs to catch up quick with the feuds, like TD vs Joey. And hopefully he'll do something about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I think the General is likely to seek out his own basketball experts -- likely some new voices -- and use those to implement. I don't think General Johnson will be sitting by his computer late at night trying to figure out which officials should call which playoff games or anything like that.

I also think there might be some advantage to the perception that the fraternity isn't being run by the same cadre of individuals that have always run it. It might create some more accountability for on-court handling of games and players and might instill some consequences for enforcing old grudges, favoring particular teams, or other sorts of misconduct.

I don't know if you said it intentionally or not, but you said it. There might be some advantage to "the perception". Stern doesn't hire this guy because he is the best person to straighten out problems with the referees. He is the guy to help further the idea that nothing is wrong, and nothing ever has been wrong.

I hate to be negative but, damn. He was in charge of reconstruction in Iraq, and the aftermath of Katrina. And while he can't be held personally responsible for all of the waste and corruption that occurred, he didn't stand up and take direct action to straighten it out either. Instead, he went to great lengths to tell everyone why everything possible had been done to run a clean show. My best friend on the planet is an engineer who regularly has to work with the ACOE. His response was, "God help the NBA."

And don't start quoting positive comments by Cuban and the Maloof brothers. Those guys know how much they have to lose if the public starts thinking of the NBA like the WWF. Above everything else, they're businessmen.

I've defended Stern in the past, but him for this one. He needed someone with basketball knowledge, and who wouldn't back down. Someone who would spit in his eye, if necessary. This is all about perception and politics.
    Last edited by GSH; 07-01-2008 at 07:51 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    step in the right direction. how this will pan out is another question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who's that former NBA ref who criticized officiating a few months ago?

He should be in charge

And that is EXACTLY what he didn't want. He's gone to great lengths to discredit anyone who has ever spoken negatively of the referees, or the review process. Stern has said openly that the ex-referees who have spoken up were less than competent and disgruntled, to try and deflect any damage from their comments. He's not about to give ANY credibility to anyone who he thinks even MIGHT acknowledge any past mistakes.

Thread Information