Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He reasonably could for 10-15 minutes off the bench or as a starter (for symbolic reasons) and the first sub every game -- I have a greater feeling he's more interested in being with his kids as they get closer to adolescence and puberty.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Highly doubtful. Not only would he not want to play as long, but his game will probably fall off a cliff after one semi-serious injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Video:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he can easily play 4 more years and still be impactful assuming no injuries derail him: 2016 (23-25 mins)/2017 (18-20 mins)/ 2018 (15-17 mins)/ 2019 (10-14 mins)..6/7 years is a stretch, IMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 do it Timmy!

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich will retire with Duncan.
    Duncan will play till "the wheels fall off."
    Popovich promised Aldridge that Popovich will coach for the rest of Popovich's contract.

To me, that means Duncan play for the rest of Popovich's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he still loves it then he should play till the wheels fall off.

Three And Counting ...
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will play the next two years and that's it. He will win back to back championships and retire on top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a small miracle he's suiting up for next season..after 40 the human body starts breaking down at a high clip.

My prayers are he will be healthy this coming season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Federer and Duncan are aging so gracefully - just goes to show when the fundamentals, basics, economy of movement are there - there's less stress on the joints, muscles, etc. - hope they both play until the wheels fall off. Duncan at 39 still contending for championships and Federer still #2 in the world at 34.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season or next season will be the last one I would guess. Manu's pretty much threatening retirement every year and talking about how he doesn't wanna come back. When you have that kind of mentality around you from a long-time friend, it's gonna be even harder for Duncan to stay around.

That said, team is stacked as right now. He will prolly stay for next season as well I'd assume. Ofc there's always that "retire on top" possibility if we win. Then there's also the " it let's try to repeat and go for 7" possibility too.

Either way, I'm grateful he's stuck around so long. Timmy's more than earned my respect.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Odds are 2 more years with no additional rings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 years is realistic

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he can easily play 4 more years and still be impactful assuming no injuries derail him: 2016 (23-25 mins)/2017 (18-20 mins)/ 2018 (15-17 mins)/ 2019 (10-14 mins)..6/7 years is a stretch, IMO..
    If he limits his minutes that much, 6/7 years may not be a stretch. IMO, besides his desire, it would depend on how efficiently he could still get up and down the court.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This season or next season will be the last one I would guess. Manu's pretty much threatening retirement every year and talking about how he doesn't wanna come back. When you have that kind of mentality around you from a long-time friend, it's gonna be even harder for Duncan to stay around.
    Manu signed for two more years. I believe he wants to be on this team for two more years. It's going to be up to his body though. After that, I think there's plausible scenarios in which Tim may want to continue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being realistic, 2 more years. Its a year by year assessment for him. After 40, the body does start to decline at a faster rate. I could see him beyond 2 years in a smaller role than he has had up until now, but at a certain point, I think if he doesn't feel elite anymore it wont be worth it over pursuing other things in his life. He doesn't play to be good, he plays to be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being realistic, 2 more years. Its a year by year assessment for him. After 40, the body does start to decline at a faster rate. I could see him beyond 2 years in a smaller role than he has had up until now, but at a certain point, I think if he doesn't feel elite anymore it wont be worth it over pursuing other things in his life. He doesn't play to be good, he plays to be great.
    Good point. His children, as I understand it, are also a major fact. He wants to spend more time with them. I'd say 2 years is probably the max, though there is a good chance he reaches it.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kareem played 'til he was 42. He kept his numbers respectable; but there was significant drop-off in his final two seasons.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, TD thinks about reaching a Bill Russell stratosphere in terms of # of rings. That's a rarely talked about factor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three tops. Two most likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three tops. Two most likely.
    This.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What would a finals MVP at age 45 do for Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, TD thinks about reaching a Bill Russell stratosphere in terms of # of rings. That's a rarely talked about factor.
    He wants to win because he loves winning and being part of a process; not because he might be compared to another great.

Duncan doesn't really care about individual glory tbh, which is the main reason why the Spurs have managed to build this team-first culture.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a small miracle he's suiting up for next season..after 40 the human body starts breaking down at a high clip.

My prayers are he will be healthy this coming season
    Who told you that ?

Thread Information