Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After seeing all the posters in here bashing spanoulis(for good reasons), I was a bit waiting for france-greece to get a chance to see him play. And honestly I was really surprised at how good he was keeping in mind he hasn't play all year long !
    And just for Kori, sure he is more of a shooting PG or combo guard like *cough* B*** U. *cough*, but believe me the comparison between Mister B. and Spanoulis stops right there. Their ball handling skills and ability to drive have nothing in common.
    And don't you think it could be some gambling from the front office for what you all call "the trade". I mean they liked Spanoulis and they knew they could either lower salaries or just get a good back up point...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been since the 12th century that the Spurs have had a decent backup PG. Worth a shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope he wants to come and play get beno out of here and we're okay

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    What I want to know is if some of the facts are true...

Did Greece recently play France?

Was Tony actually at the game?

http://www.eurobasket.com/transactions.asp?NewsNo=41

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I've been saying, the Spurs are in a no lose situation. They either free up money and a roster spot or can bring in a quality prospect. I think V-Span could be a quality NBA player, especially off the bench. The only thing I question is if he'll meltdown the first time Pop gets in his face. He doesn't seem like the most stable of characters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, is this guy a complete fruitcake diva. He's delusional, high-strung, and paranoid. Combine that with his terrible production playing in the NBA last year and I see an A-1 prospect!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3. Ask yourself this...
    Would the Rockets have traded VSpan for Scola and Butler if he was still willing to play for them?

I don't think so.

That tells you how highly they regarded him.
    Of course they would have traded him away. They were ecstatic he was going to leave without a trace after leaving his contract on the table. What the are you talking about? They hated the guy, he was awful last year, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't be awful this year, especially stacked behind all the (much better) guards they already have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's classic how whottt is all of a sudden V-Span's number one fan, when a couple weeks ago he was making fun of timvp for liking him.

P.S.

Props to Parker for being a team first player. I'm not sure how many players would actively recruit a player who plays the same position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Parker for being a team first player. I'm not sure how many players would actively recruit a player who plays the same position.
    You never know - it might be a trick to lock-up his irreplacibility long-term with yet another sucky back-up pg...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact: Van Gundy owned the media over here in Houston.

Fact: Van Gundy and V-Span seemed to have issues that went beyond playing.

Fact: V-Span vowed never to play again in the U.S. because of the way VG treated him.

Possibility: Parker may have tried to persuade him to come back and give it a shot with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before were mavs idiot fans, now they're the roxfans... rox(roxie)fan, scolarules... damn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.
    We could live and win with that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We could live and win with that
    Because Spanoulis would have no impact on whether we win or lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.
    Dude, you forgot Beno Sike! I don't know if he can defend, and I realize those were only highlights I saw on YouTube, but he does look like he can score pretty well. Vaughn plays good D, but the Spurs offense stalls to much when Tony isn't bringing the ball up the floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.
    I don't know how good Span is on D, or how good he could be surrounded by the best in the business, but to me that is the important factor. On that depth chart Finley could rotate to the SG spot (and possibly Udoka) for certain lineups, and possibly Span could get a few minutes there on the court with Parker against two small guard lineups. It could make the Spurs even more versitile if the kid can play the 2 against smaller guards when necesssary and can defend adequately.

The Spurs are in a no lose... because replacing the lump of nothing that is Beno with Span can at worst be a lateral move if Span is a complete bust that never plays.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Before were mavs idiot fans, now they're the roxfans... rox(roxie)fan, scolarules... damn
    LMAO well he does doens't he? Scola to the Rockets for Vspan and a bag of chips! I'd do that trade anyday. I expect Scola to average 10-12 ppg with 10 rpg about like David Lee of New York

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO well he does doens't he? Scola to the Rockets for Vspan and a bag of chips! I'd do that trade anyday. I expect Scola to average 10-12 ppg with 10 rpg about like David Lee of New York
    Scola doesn't rebound or defend well. He's a scorer... something the Rockets didn't need from a PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    In his final season in Argentina, averaged 10.4 points and 4.8 rebounds for Ferro Carril Oeste.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Anyway..we'll know by Tue about the Vspan situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In his final season in Argentina, averaged 10.4 points and 4.8 rebounds for Ferro Carril Oeste.
    5 rebounds in Europe=maybe 3 in NBA. And still nothing about defense.

And he played for Tau Ceramica last year.
    Last edited by ElliottFan; 08-15-2007 at 07:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, that was a major drama queen post. Geez, this makes Beno's recent stupidity look not self-centered at all.

"Spanoulis says that both Yao and Mcgrady went to Van Gundy requesting that Spanoulis start because in practice he was always abusing the other point guards."

- Yao doesn't seem like a guy that would have the type of at ude to question JVG like that to his face. And I find it hard to believe TMac and Yao would ask JVG to "START" VSpan, a rookie that hadn't even played, because of what they saw in practice. How about letting him play 10 mins for starters? Doesn't sound like something a player would think is a good idea. Besides, once you start VSpan, who hadn't played, and if he failed... then what? This was a team that was struggling to stay afloat for a while. They couldn't experiment with starting a rookie PG, they needed to keep pace.

"Spanoulis was told by Morey that Shane Battier told the GM Spanoulis was the third best player on the team and it was not even close"

- I'm not saying Shane has an ego, but all NBA players do, so, did he just put VSpan ahead of himself? And not even close, huh?

"Jeff Van Gundy later told him he would not play all year because his wife had ordered him not to play him since he was a rookie and that might cost some games, which could cause Jeff Van Gundy to lose his job and his wife told Jeff Van Gundy that she would not accept 'less spending money.''"

- Doesn't this sound like something a player (an immature one) would make up about his own coach that he felt had mistreated him? Honestly, how many men joke like this about their wives with their buddies? Probably a lot. Just joking. But in a serious situation, talking to someone you are in conflict with, who actually would do that and make themselves look and sound stupid?

"the Rockets former GM CD who was told to 'go fu** himself' by Van Gundy when he told the coach that after watching practice he saw Spanoulis was by far the best point guard........ then later..... Spanoulis had his agent fly to Houston and have a meeting with "CD". CD called Van Gundy up to his office and told him to play Spanoulis or he would be fired. Van Gundy agreed."

- So, CD was some spineless sap, a paper GM, Sweaty Teddy of NBA managers one day... then a visit by VSpan's agent allows him to grow some nuts and JVG goes fetal?

"He says that Yao told him, 'in practice you are every bit as good if not better than Steve Nash is, Jeff is just so damn mean and stupid.' And that 'when the season ended I told the owner if he did not fire the coach I would go back to China. I simply cannot stand his ridiculous crap and antics anymore, I have been taking this crap from him for so long now.'"

- Again, I don't know Yao from anything, but, since when is this the kind of leadership and authority he has? TMac I could believe easily. Maybe I missed something about Yao, didn't know he had this in him if it's believeable. Also, as good as Steve Nash? The skeptic in me can't help read this and think "self promotion".

"Dennis it was said left the Rockets and joined San Antonio and personally set up the trade of Scola and Butler just to get Spanoulis because he 'believes I can be an all star.' But I still told him I was too disturbed from experience with Van Gundy to come back."

- How does Dennis believe he can be an all-star as TP's backup with 15-20mins/gm max?

Ok, that was the skeptical read from me on this. On the other hand, drama queen crap aside, I wouldn't mind Beno getting shipped off for a bag of Doritos and hanging on to this guy for cheap. But he'll be promised nothing about minutes here up front and nobody will believe he ever was, so I better not hear any whining about it either. If he's willing to find and play his role and play in June, welcome aboard.

Thank you Mr. Duncan. May I have another? RussN's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.

I agree with that, it looks damn good. Very deep team.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who knows, Beno might be a crucial aspect to keeping the locker room running smoothly. Pop gets all his anger out at Beno and then is able to be cool with everybody else. Somebody has to be in the doghouse. Better its a player that actually deserves to be there. Joking?

Thread Information