Page 53 of 161 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 4001
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resigning over a single paper like that is highly unusual.
    Frankly, I have no idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    surprise, Darin tucked tail yet again.
    The only thing that keeps that post from being his thirteenth logical fallacy (strawman) is that he didn't bother to deride AGW.

As it is, it was simply inaccurate. Let's see if he can actually get it right, if I ask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You DO realize that no one is arguing that, right?

There are three central pillars to AGW:

1. The warming of the past century is somehow remarkable, unusual, unprecedented, etc.

2. Said warming is mostly caused by increased CO2 emitted by humans

3. If CO2 emissions aren't substantially curbed, we will hit so-called "tipping points", which result in rises in sea level, flooding Manhattan, etc
    Please support assertion #3 with a link to the IPCC report.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Peer reviewed journals strive to reach the highest levels of rigor and adherence to scientific principles.
    You give the "peer review" process WAAAY too much credit. Early in my career, I published a few technical papers that were presented at the SAE World Congress. Every year, you'd see the same dozen or so presenters, and their papers would be reviewed, mostly, by the same handful of guys who were all well known in that particular discipline. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that all those guys knew each other and were pretty friendly with each other, or at least cordial. I very rarely saw a heavy-handed review.

If you read the linked pdf, his oversight in selecting the reviewers, a direct choice on his part, who did not apply appropriate levels of skepticism or review.
    So, you're a fan of skepticism now?

Peer-review's strength lies in the fact that is it perceived as tough, but fair. Any hint that it is not, and you call into question the overall integrity of the process at your publication.

You're right. It is PERCEIVED as tough, but, in many cases, it's anything but.

By the way, the worst case I've ever seen of direct manipulation of the peer-review process is the climategate emails.

Phil Jones
    "I can't see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow -- even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is!"

Michael Mann
    "Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal."

Phil Jones
    "I will be emailing the journal to tell them I'm having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing that keeps that post from being his thirteenth logical fallacy (strawman) is that he didn't bother to deride AGW.

As it is, it was simply inaccurate. Let's see if he can actually get it right, if I ask.

Your entire thread starts with an ad hominem attack on skeptics. Way to go!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Video shown on first day of Copenhagen climate summit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your entire thread starts with an ad hominem attack on skeptics. Way to go!
    Please demonstrate how exactly the OP fits into the ad hominem logical fallacy form as given below:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-hominem.html

Person A makes claim X.
    Person B makes an attack on person A.
    Therefore A's claim is false.

(edit)
    The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, cir stances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases)[emphasis mine] have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 09-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One should not dismiss outright the claims of people who are skeptical of the body of work supporting the theory of global warming.

But given the quality of arguments, and the overall lack of any demonstrable critical thinking skills, one should be VERY skeptical of accepting any of the "denier" claims as a given without fact checking it first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever know a climatologist willing to debate a denier?I have too many other things going on in my life. I figure it's a waste of time because of the likely lack of response. Maybe it's not.
    Sorry, I have no friendly feeling about how those people treat those who disagree with them. Good scientists careers have been damaged by not agreeing with their dogma.

Their "speculation" is used by world forces to do harm to our economy. Maybe it's not intentional, but it has happened.
    Journal Editor Resigns Over Flawed Global Warming Paper

"Remote Sensing Editor-in-Chief Wolfgang Wagner resigned earlier today (PDF) over a global warming study published in his journal that was said to cast doubt on global warming models but was later found to be flawed. Wagner stated that the paper most likely contained fundamental methodological errors and false claims. He further expressed dismay over how 'the authors and like-minded climate skeptics have much exaggerated the paper's conclusions in public statements.' The author of the paper, Dr. Roy Spencer, has responded to the resignation."
    Indeed. So strong is their position that they feel the need to cook up bogus papers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please demonstrate how exactly the OP fits into the ad hominem logical fallacy form as given below:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/falla...d-hominem.html

Person A makes claim X.
    Person B makes an attack on person A.
    Therefore A's claim is false.
    An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person advocating it.[1]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resigning over a single paper like that is highly unusual.
    It is? Since you know so much about journal access and peer review, please share your insight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is? Since you know so much about journal access and peer review, please share your insight.
    I already did a few posts back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

[ youtube video ]

Thanks mouse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's a you-tube video Darrin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the editor of Nature resign after Michael Mann's "hockey stick" paper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you once again made a false claim. You do that often, liar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person advocating it.[1]
    ... and what negative charcteristic am I pointing out Darrin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn't the editor of Nature resign after Michael Mann's "hockey stick" paper?
    why are you incapable of addressing items you get called on? Lol Darrin the victim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wait so addressing relevant negative characteristics is ad hominem? Lololololololol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I already did a few posts back.
    Missed it. My bad.

Reviewers and editors dont want to be associated with any article or paper which might have been cooked. They will do their due dilligence in determining whats fit for publication or not. Reviews may or may not be "heavy handed", but that hardly determines if a paper gets seleced for publication.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pseudoscience is any belief system or methodology which tries to gain legitimacy by wearing the trappings of science, but fails to abide by the rigorous methodology and standards of evidence that demarcate true science. Pseudoscience is designed to have the appearance of being scientific, but lacks any of the substance of science.
    The "attack" is that much of what passes for "science" in the denier camp, isn't actually science.

Deniers aren't wrong because they are idiots. If I said that, it would be ad hominem.

They are wrong because their science is very poor. (i.e. the quality of their arguments and data are so bad)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you're a bad basketball player because you can't shoot, dribble, and pass.

ad hominen!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't you get to the point of all these straw man arguments?
    Do any of these studies discredit Co2 as a greenhouse gas?

Because what these fools are essentially arguing that Co2 in a lab under the same temp, partial pressure and density conditions won't act the same when it's out in the environment. It's almost as they believe the some mystical power is changing what is pretty well vetted science.
    To answer your question, no. The paper I dissected a few pages back made an attempt to do that but used the wrong set of assumptions.

We also need to be careful about translating what we see in a lab to what we see "out there". Unfortunately for climate science, the physics is not scale invariant. Hence we necessarily see a preponderance of modelling to supplement experimentation.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    The stick only hits one way.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I'm surprised an incorrect paper is such news. For years, the IPCC and their scientists have been making false claims. Every time they come out with a new assessment report, deniers point out the shortcomings, and the next report is revised.

Mistakes happen.

Why is it when the AGW crowd does it, it's OK, but when a scientific skeptic does so, he's chastised?

Now I didn't see his paper to make a sound judgement on, but I'll bet there is no intention mistakes in it.

Thread Information