Page 52 of 161 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 4001
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry you took it that way.
    I'm quite certain the only regret you have is being called out on your bull .

Id appreciate it if neither of you bugged me about modelling until you've bothered to actually familiarize yourselves with one.

I'll be waiting for that PM, albeit without holding my breath.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm quite certain the only regret you have is being called out on your bull .

Id appreciate it if neither of you bugged me about modelling until you've bothered to actually familiarize yourselves with one.

I'll be waiting for that PM, albeit without holding my breath.
    No regrets here. And I develop computer models for a living, so I do know a thing or two about them. I did go to the websites of both authors mentioned in the article, just to see if they had a link to a PDF file.

WC would probably have more interest in it than I do. He seems a bit more passionate about the subject.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    You're speaking of another matter. I was referring to this:Give me a reason why their modeling assumptions are invalid. They speak about the suns effect on cloud formation or lack thereof. This is not directly related to your indirect forcing vs CO2 forcing argument.
    OK, we have a miscommunication. I have no conviction either way on the cosmic ray idea, and never held it as a prominent means of climate change. I am referring to changes in total solar power striking the earth. I haven't looked at any of their cosmic theory modeling. That area is probably above me as well.
    Careful here. I'd ask the IPCC exactly why that irradiance is where it is. Until you get one, it's friendly speculation on both sides of the fence.
    Sorry, I have no friendly feeling about how those people treat those who disagree with them. Good scientists careers have been damaged by not agreeing with their dogma.

Their "speculation" is used by world forces to do harm to our economy. Maybe it's not intentional, but it has happened.

CO2 is now classed a pollutant!
    Does it necessarily mean it wasn't?
    Until the extra starting energy is removed, the change is irrelevant.

If the solar radiance added 1.2 watts (again, I will shorten watts/square meter to watts) to the CO2 radiative effect, and the change is 1.6 watts, then something other than the sun added the 0.4 watts.

It is assumed by the IPCC that CO2 forcing increased by 1.66 watts from 1750 to present day. This might be an accurate assessment. How much of that increase is from the increased solar energy in the system? If the 0.18% is a correct number, then this by itself is adding 0.93 watts to the atmosphere. If it's evenly distributed among the greenhouse gasses, then the 0.93 watts it adds to the atmosphere appears as 0.58 watts of the CO2 increase. This would make the actual CO2 increase only 1.08 watts.

The IPCC AR4 uses 1.66 watts for CO2, 0.48 for CH4, 0.16 for N2O, and 0.34 for halocarbons. Total greenhouse effect increase of 2.64 watts. If we subtract the missing solar energy from the GHG total, then then have a 1.83 watt increase from greenhouse gasses instead of 2.64 watts. This is 69.32%, and this 62.32% of 1.66 (CO2) would become 1.15 watts.

Ever time I have tried checking, the solar increases are dismissed. I have no choice but to conclude they are hiding in some other warming component in their modeling.

It cannot only be 0.12 watts total in a correct model. It must be somewhere around 1 watt. With the feedback multipliers, it would make the change from 1750 to modern day so small, everyone would agree it's wrong who studies solar activity.
    They may well have the same temperature afterwards if I make the proper assumptions. Herein lies my argument with your "assumptions". It's not a black and white situation as you make it out to be. You need more information, as I did for your example. Go to the source.
    I'm sorry. The bottom line is with increased solar heat, the starting temperature before the greenhouse effect is already higher. The end result will, no doubt, be higher.
    Or, if you set them up with my parameters, they might conclude that there was no corelation between the two.
    Well, simple science tells us if you add equal heat to two different temperatures of the same mass and type of material, the one that started to be hotter will also be hotter in the end.

That is of course as long as we aren't at some state change.
    Name me anything that's "all knowing"......include experimental examples here too. You seem to be stuck on models "as a subs ute for experimentation". At no time will anyone advocate that. They point you in the right direction, they dont provide evidence.

Preconcieved notions? You model when experiementation isnt possible or practical. And yes, it does usually elucidate where the missing knowledge is at. In the hands of an honest researcher, it can help experimental design quite a bit.
    In climate science, they rely on the models too much and state the conclusions as fact.

That's what gets me. This science is so far away from being well know, yet they claim the science is settled.

Bull !

I have no use for the meteorologists who take an extra class or two to become a climatologist. How often are meteorologists right? They cannot predict the weather a week out, why should they be so arrogant to think they are right?
    Since they're so simple, perhaps you should contact various groups and ask them why they're not included.
    Ever know a climatologist willing to debate a denier?
    You seem to have fairly deep convictions about it. One has to wonder why you haven't bothered yet.
    I have too many other things going on in my life. I figure it's a waste of time because of the likely lack of response. Maybe it's not.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Gotta love it. An actual scientist and meterology student arguing with a factory technician and computer programmer about climate science in a thread written by an accountant on a basketball forum.

God bless the internet.
    Someone at work has a cool sticker. I meant to transcribe it, and post it with minor editing.

"No physical training required. This forum has enough running off of the mouth....."

I think you get the point. I'll stop there instead of risk screwing it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Science Stunner: Editor of Journal that Published Flawed Denier Bunk Apologizes, Resigns, Slams Spencer for Exaggerations

http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...signs-spencer/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow.

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could take a subtle jab at you just as you just attempted to do here. However, I realize that you're not a researcher or someone who has read scientific literature at length, so ill take the high road and explain the process.

You see, journal subscriptions cost money. There's no free access (well mostly). This journal is no exception. Being faculty, I have access to these archives for free.

This is where I lol, as do the rest of the people reading this thread.

So in response to your query, I have indeed read the article. I also know for a fact that neither you or WC have. If you're serious about this, I would be glad to provide you with a PDF of it. Simply give me your email in a PM.

Your bluff has been called. Is there any more bull you care to fling my way?

Faculty. I am about 80% positive I know who you are coming form similar background and I gotta say you fit in good as faculty since you have the patience to to argue with idiots.

Why don't you get to the point of all these straw man arguments?
    Do any of these studies discredit Co2 as a greenhouse gas?

Because what these fools are essentially arguing that Co2 in a lab under the same temp, partial pressure and density conditions won't act the same when it's out in the environment. It's almost as they believe the some mystical power is changing what is pretty well vetted science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why don't you get to the point of all these straw man arguments?
    Do any of these studies discredit Co2 as a greenhouse gas?.
    You DO realize that no one is arguing that, right?

There are three central pillars to AGW:

1. The warming of the past century is somehow remarkable, unusual, unprecedented, etc.

2. Said warming is mostly caused by increased CO2 emitted by humans

3. If CO2 emissions aren't substantially curbed, we will hit so-called "tipping points", which result in rises in sea level, flooding Manhattan, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Could you be anymore wrong?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, no you can't. Holy , Darrin. If you're not trolling then I have no idea how you got your degree, how you keep your job, and how you even function with such low levels of understanding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, no you can't. Holy , Darrin. If you're not trolling then I have no idea how you got your degree, how you keep your job, and how you even function with such low levels of understanding.
    Do I need to post the executive summaries of IPCC's reports? Are those not the central points of Gore's scifi docudrama?

Why don't you elaborate?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please, post them. I wasn't aware that Gore was a scientist whom was integral to developing theory. But please, post those IPCC summaries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please, post them. I wasn't aware that Gore was a scientist whom was integral to developing theory. But please, post those IPCC summaries.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC_...essment_Report

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you post them, be sure to specifically point out where they say its unprecedented and where they mention tipping points.

Thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why'd they give that Nobel prize to Gore and IPCC in 2007?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The IPCC doesn't hand out Nobel prizes. People get things they don't deserve all the time. You have an engineering degree, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The IPCC doesn't hand out Nobel prizes. People get things they don't deserve all the time. You have an engineering degree, right?
    Why does your side get so pissy and resort to lame insults?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My side? I speak only for me. Why do I resort to lame insults? Because thats all you deserve. Look at you trolling with absolute crap and never taking an intelligent look at things but rather just run by ankle biting. You then wonder why you get insults? You cannot possibly think you ever engage anyone on this forum in a way that merits more than this? This is coming from the same person who posted the following:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost...postcount=1274
    http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost...postcount=1207

And thats just from the past two pages in this thread.

I've rarely seen people as patient as RG and Agloco get as frustrated with other posters the way they get frustrated with you. I give up FAR more quickly than that and resort to what entertains me but those two will keep pounding at it for a long time and you have somehow managed to alienate them.

If you were honestly asking the above question then I suggest you become more introspective and ask what it is about you that prohibits an actual debate. I'm not holding my breath.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does your side get so pissy and resort to lame insults?
    Next we need a post from Hitler asking why no one likes him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, still waiting for you to point out 2 of your 3 pillars in that IPCC report. I'm sure you've actually read it, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Journal Editor Resigns Over Flawed Global Warming Paper

"Remote Sensing Editor-in-Chief Wolfgang Wagner resigned earlier today (PDF) over a global warming study published in his journal that was said to cast doubt on global warming models but was later found to be flawed. Wagner stated that the paper most likely contained fundamental methodological errors and false claims. He further expressed dismay over how 'the authors and like-minded climate skeptics have much exaggerated the paper's conclusions in public statements.' The author of the paper, Dr. Roy Spencer, has responded to the resignation."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, Dr Roy Spencer sounds just like Wild Cobra... coincidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    surprise, Darin tucked tail yet again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Journal Editor Resigns Over Flawed Global Warming Paper

"Remote Sensing Editor-in-Chief Wolfgang Wagner resigned earlier today (PDF) over a global warming study published in his journal that was said to cast doubt on global warming models but was later found to be flawed. Wagner stated that the paper most likely contained fundamental methodological errors and false claims. He further expressed dismay over how 'the authors and like-minded climate skeptics have much exaggerated the paper's conclusions in public statements.' The author of the paper, Dr. Roy Spencer, has responded to the resignation."

Resigning over a single paper like that is highly unusual.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Resigning over a single paper like that is highly unusual.
    Peer reviewed journals strive to reach the highest levels of rigor and adherence to scientific principles.

If you read the linked pdf, his oversight in selecting the reviewers, a direct choice on his part, who did not apply appropriate levels of skepticism or review.

Peer-review's strength lies in the fact that is it perceived as tough, but fair. Any hint that it is not, and you call into question the overall integrity of the process at your publication.

So why, after a more careful study of the pro and contra arguments, have I changed my initial view? The problem is that comparable studies published by other authors have already been refuted in open discussions and to some extend also in the literature (cf. [7]), a fact which was ignored by Spencer and Braswell in their paper and, unfortunately, not picked up by the reviewers. In other words, the problem I see with the paper by Spencer and Braswell is not that it declared a minority view (which was later unfortunately much exaggerated by the public media) but that it essentially ignored the scientific arguments of its opponents.
    He picked three reviewers who were far too friendly to the paper, and who, apparently did a ty job at the one thing they were supposed to do, i.e. catch errors and omissions.

This supports the OP of this thread rather well.

Thread Information