YOU JUST GOT THE BUISNESS SamoanTD's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he comes cheap.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Loved him in GS but he never seemed to get it together. I don't see Pop having much patience with him at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In contrast, I think Pop/Duncan could work wonders with Randolph, may help him to be the player he could be.

Love to see us sign him as a cheap project.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Loved him in GS but he never seemed to get it together. I don't see Pop having much patience with him at all.
    Agreed. If you can't play for D'Antoni, who doesn't even give a about defense at all, and only wants you to shoot, you can't play for anyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After a start of the season where he didn't play, Randolph has had some minutes at the end of it. In April (11 games), he averaged 10.9pts, 5.2rbds and 2.3 blocks in 22mpg. It won't be enough for him to get his $4M QO but it should have been noticed by some FO. I hope Spurs will at least giving him a close look because they should really add some athleticism in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^agreed

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    I'd get behind them taking a look at him. He has the tools we need but his at ude was/is the problem. Maybe he's grown up some but I can still see him arguing with the coach and pouting on the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, he's the type of player we need: an athletic big. But if he couldn't play for the teams he has been on, then he's probably not gonna play for Pop at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything this guy needs to go to a team that has a set program like the spurs with the veteran leadership he will fall into line and finally develop into something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading a David Thorpe chat in which he said that if Anthony Randolph came to San Antonio that he could be a hall of famer. Of course I'm guessing it would also depend on Randolph's iq, but I think being around another kid in Leonard, who has a ridiculous work ethic could only help him. I think it's a low risk high reward move for the spurs. Chip could work on that jumpshot he loves so much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he a legit 6-11? I looks like he has a long ass neck like that rookie Malcom we had for a while this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the QO on the guy is $4M unfortunately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the QO on the guy is $4M unfortunately.
    Wow well cross one of the list .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he a legit 6-11? I looks like he has a long ass neck like that rookie Malcom we had for a while this year.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Randolph-1069/

According to this, he's 6-10.25 in shoes. Keep in mind, this was when he was 19. He could very well have grown since then and I'm fairly certain I heard he did grow another inch a few years ago. Even if he hasn't though, that's still good size for a PF, especially when you throw in the fact that he has a 7-3 wingspan.

He should be high on the Spurs list. In fact, short of signing Garnett or trading for Smith, their plan should be to sign Diaw using the MLE and sign Randolph using the LLE (questionable whether this would get it done). He's got a rare package of size, athleticism and ball skills and he's shown enough promise and there's enough in his advanced stats to indicate that, like other long, athletic bigs, who have been around for a while but inexplicably haven't been given much of a chance (Wright, Mahinmi), he's ready to breakout. And with how much success the Spurs have had with young players in recent seasons, I've got to think more players like Randolph will be receptive to joining them.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Why do people think that because someone meets a physical type and and is the right size means they will do well on the Spurs? There are probably 25% or less of the players in the NBA who are smart enough and have the right at ude to play for Pop. AR isn't one of those.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people think that because someone meets a physical type and and is the right size means they will do well on the Spurs? There are probably 25% or less of the players in the NBA who are smart enough and have the right at ude to play for Pop. AR isn't one of those.
    It's funny, you knock people for essentially stereotyping, then you do the same. How do you know how smart Randolph is or whether he has the right at ude to play for Pop? He was known to be immature when he broke in, but that's not exactly uncommon at 19. Maybe in his time in the league he's grown up some, maybe he hasn't. But I've never heard a particularly bad story about him. What I have heard is, all three places he's been, he's basically been lied to about playing time.

I can't speak for others, but I'm interested because, as I said, he has ball skills to go along with his size and athleticism and also because he's shown enough promise to lead me to believe that, with steady playing time, in the right environment, he can at least be a solid contributor. Also, he's probably not going to cost more than $2, maybe $3 million for a year or two. So to me, there's strong bang for the buck potential there.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    It's funny, you knock people for essentially stereotyping, then you do the same. How do you know how smart Randolph is or whether he has the right at ude to play for Pop? He was known to be immature when he broke in, but that's not exactly uncommon at 19. Maybe in his time in the league he's grown up some, maybe he hasn't. But I've never heard a particularly bad story about him. What I have heard is, all three places he's been, he's basically been lied to about playing time.

I can't speak for others, but I'm interested because, as I said, he has ball skills to go along with his size and athleticism and also because he's shown enough promise to lead me to believe that, with steady playing time, in the right environment, he can at least be a solid contributor. Also, he's probably not going to cost more than $2, maybe $3 million for a year or two. So to me, there's strong bang for the buck potential there.
    Actually, the 25% thing isn't a stereotype, it's a fact. I've been watching the Spurs long enough to say that with some certainty.

I don't care if he was lied to or not. He's a professional, being paid first round money. Play when the coach puts you in. STFU when he doesn't. Apparently, that concept has escaped young Anthony, making him ill suited to wear the S&B. He had problems with Don Nelson, a close personal friend of Pop's. I'm willing to give him a pass on that. Nelson has alienated young players before, even good ones like CWebb. What I can't figure out is why he didn't mesh with D'Antoni. AR likes to shoot jumpers and doesn't give a about defense. DAntoni likes bigs who can shoot, and he doesn't give a about defense. AR barely got off the bench. That, to me is a huge red flag. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like, or like playing for D'Antoni.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Randolph is due $4m next year as per his qualifying offer. If thats guaranteed, he will just stay with the Wolves because he won't get that kind of money elsewhere. If they release him, then the Bi Annual exception could be worth a shot at $1.9m

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A S&T include Bonner and Randolph?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The smartest way for Spur to get Randolph would through a little S&T. Blair and Byars for Randolph seems to be fine for both teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is Byars?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-League guy we picked up at the end of the year with a non-guaranteed contract. There's no cap hit to cutting him, so he would just be there to make the numbers line up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, the 25% thing isn't a stereotype, it's a fact. I've been watching the Spurs long enough to say that with some certainty.

I don't care if he was lied to or not. He's a professional, being paid first round money. Play when the coach puts you in. STFU when he doesn't. Apparently, that concept has escaped young Anthony, making him ill suited to wear the S&B. He had problems with Don Nelson, a close personal friend of Pop's. I'm willing to give him a pass on that. Nelson has alienated young players before, even good ones like CWebb. What I can't figure out is why he didn't mesh with D'Antoni. AR likes to shoot jumpers and doesn't give a about defense. DAntoni likes bigs who can shoot, and he doesn't give a about defense. AR barely got off the bench. That, to me is a huge red flag. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like, or like playing for D'Antoni.
    Some random number you've come up with off the top of your head is a fact?

Well, you can't produce without minutes. In his last two stops, I don't recall him publicly complaining about minutes or lack thereof. Again, you're stereotyping. He didn't mesh with D'Antoni because he was injured to start that season, that group had good chemistry, they were playing in over their heads and when he returned, D'Antoni -- never a prac ioner of extended rotations to begin with -- decided to continue to run the same players into the ground. A combination of bad luck and foolish coaching have been the main reasons as to why he's yet to establish himself.

Thread Information