San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingan will be the better NBA player

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingan will be the better NBA player
    That’s the conventional wisdom but Edey is the better monster head to head so far. Neither stretches the floor, one of the main knocks.

I like the idea of completely closing off the paint with a larger version of our twin towers. And forcing teams to adapt to us, not the other way around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a Star Trek question?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would fit better with Wembles?

“Neither, we have Zollins , who is a true professional”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would be absolutely moronic to take a center in this draft or any draft (unless they were like Jokic or Embiid level good) where they have a lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've only been watching 2 minutes but UCon Ref is strong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clingon is a whiney who wants every single call to go his way.

Even tho he's already getting bogus calls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless you want to base your whole offense around Edey back downs and baby hooks, I would stay away as an NBA team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they wanted a center they would have drafted sungun but we wanted the flasher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither. Everytime a Spurs fan proposes to get a center in the draft with a lottery pick, an angel dies of AIDS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s simple: now that you know putting Wemby at Center turns him into prime Wilt Chamberlain you simply cannot waste pristine draft captial on centers that you can readily sign in free agency for relatively low cost.

Makes zero sense unless again you think the player is like Embiid/Jokic level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else see parallels between this UConn squad and the 2014 Spurs (motion offense, depth, etc)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else see parallels between this UConn squad and the 2014 Spurs (motion offense, depth, etc)?
    More like Purdues defense is super lame imo + earlier in the game UConnRef let them get away with a lot of fouling. Which they did not let Purdue do.

But props to UConn on the motion. Like how they make passes very quickly and keep the D moving. Your point taken.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither of these guys should be a draft consideration for us but Edey has an Adams toughness around him that might translate to a respectable nba career.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither. Everytime a Spurs fan proposes to get a center in the draft with a lottery pick, an angel dies of AIDS.
    I mean I'd be fine with taking a center if there was a David Robinson or a Tim Duncan or a Hakeem Olajuwon since you could just make that work on talent, but not these ing centers or really any other center who isn't a no-brainer franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming both players are able to basically be these same players in the NBA, I would love the Spurs to draft Edey. The team should be able to carve out a 14-20 MPG role for a gifted backup center. For example, Collins has averaged 18.4 MPG since the ASB. Wemby is still learning to control his energy level and improve his conditioning. He may well have stamina issues after playing overseas this summer. I'm not penciling him in to play 40 minutes a night. So if you can have those Wemby-less minutes go to a different kind of dominant center, it seems like a win-win.

I also think the Spurs should remain flexible on Wemby's development and allow him to play with different types of talent rather than trying to force him to into a role as the centerpiece on a "contending" roster. He's not going to be hurt by playing off a second strong inside presence for a few minutes a night. And if it works, then the team should be open to playing them together more, even if the pair wouldn't work for a contending roster. Adding talent and enjoying that talent matters more than team-building at this stage.

Then of course, if you draft Edey, and he's the BPA who showed he can dominate in the NBA but just isn't the ideal partner for Wemby, you can package him as the centerpiece of a deal for a star in a way that you can't for nebulous future picks. It would be like Fox and Haliburton, where even if Edey goes and blows up, you got something back that helps the team take the next step. You don't take him first overall with the hopes of flipping him for a borderline All-Star a few years later, but if we're talking about the middle or end of the lottery or lower, it'd be a steal and a better step to contending than just taking a wing you hope fits the team you hope the team turns into.

Of course I'm assuming the Edey translates and develops here, and if the Spurs don't think he will do that, his grade is much lower. His ability to shoot is going to determine his upside in a league where no player can just hang out under the basket. But this is what I was talking about in terms of BPA. If you think Edey is the best player, take him and let everything else sort itself out. You don't build linearly. They aren't a contender looking to fill holes in their rotation. What the Spurs will be in three years is completely up in the air, and the team should draft like it. Give Wemby the flexibility to carve out his spot in the NBA. Be open to the team having multiple looks over the next couple of seasons. Don't get too attached to the non-Wemby guys. I don't think the Spurs should start overlooking red flags like some posters have suggested. I'm just saying I'd rather have talented players who have flaws than less talented players should might become good role-players. That calculation will change with the team's outlook, but their outlook has no reason to change at this point.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither one of these back to the basket stiffs are going to do much at the nba level. Maybe if the year was 1994 instead of 2024

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like Purdues defense is super lame imo + earlier in the game UConnRef let them get away with a lot of fouling. Which they did not let Purdue do.

But props to UConn on the motion. Like how they make passes very quickly and keep the D moving. Your point taken.
    Stop it

They let Edey throw elbows to clear space all game long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop it

They let Edey throw elbows to clear space all game long.
    lol. Not even. UConn is the better team. Edey is the better center. It also shows how poor the college game has gotten and why Euro players eat up the draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To a certain degree yes but '14 Spurs were also loaded with special individual talents that made it possible.

I don't see a lot of individual talents at UConn tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting Edey would make zero sense for the Spurs who need mobility, playmaking, passing or shooting

It make no sense to suddenly change the whole style of bb just for a 20min limited back up center...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drafting Edey would make zero sense for the Spurs who need mobility, playmaking, passing or shooting

It make no sense to suddenly change the whole style of bb just for a 20min limited back up center...
    Exactly this. There has to be a sense of progression. This finally allowed the team to find an iden y with Wemby as the focal point. Why reset that?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted that I was all for Edey (as well as Kolek and Dillon Jones), but that was when he was expected to be available for our 2nd round pick. I still think he's be great rim protector during the few minutes that Wemby sits, but I wouldn't want to use any better draft pick to get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted that I was all for Edey (as well as Kolek and Dillon Jones), but that was when he was expected to be available for our 2nd round pick. I still think he's be great rim protector during the few minutes that Wemby sits, but I wouldn't want to use any better draft pick to get him.
    I think that's the key here....where do you take an Edey? Like i agree with Dejounte/Pauleta that it would make zero sense to draft him, but I'm assuming that we're talking about a lottery pick. If we found ourselves in the 20's by trading down or up then I think it makes sense to draft a backup big...

Thread Information