Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
    Hearing Cavs quietly made it known during Draft they'd listen to Varejao trade pitches. Gotta wonder: Would Scola make it easier to deal AV?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7pozg9u

Trade seems to work well for both teams. The Cavs get a good big man back and a good shooter(Bonner is filler to make the trade work)...along with cap space next season. The Spurs get a legit starting big man on a decent contract. Still leaves the Spurs with a hole at PF but Varejao>>>>Splitter and the Spurs have him locked up for the next two seasons with a partially guaranteed third year. Works perfect with Duncan's new contract.

Spurs fan at Princeton Ginobili2Duncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've thought about Varejao too. I have doubts that CLE makes that trade, but that would be damn good move for the Spurs. Solves their bigman pick and roll defense problem and they can hold out hope that Tyrus Thomas gets amnestied and clears waivers.
    Last edited by Ginobili2Duncan; 07-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think they make it either, but it's one they might at least consider. I think it's about as close to equal value as they are going to get if they are trying to salary dump him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know people are quick to dump Neal, but the Spurs (even with a log jam numbers-wise) still have a lot of question marks. I can't imagine trading Neal until it seems likely the Spurs have a replacement they know can perform. We won't know that for a little while so it's hard to see Neal traded until later on (unless it's a no brainer).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But with regards to the this trade, I guess the question is really how much do you think Tiago will get paid next year and determining the value. If his salary is south of AV's - you have a decision to make. If it's the same or greater you do the trade because for the same cost, I'd rather have Andy and Bonner will be waived next year and Neal is likely gone (assuming as time goes on, one of the new guards Mills, De Colo or Denmon works out).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's the same or greater you do the trade because for the same cost, I'd rather have Andy and Bonner will be waived next year and Neal is likely gone (assuming as time goes on, one of the new guards Mills, De Colo or Denmon works out).
    This is pretty much my thinking. It takes the guess work out of re-signing Splitter and guarantees the Spurs have another legit big on the front line to finish out the Duncan era. After the next two seasons the Spurs can decide to keep Andy, trade him or waive him and pocket the 5.7 million.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should do this in fairness to Splitter
    Manu got oberto and possibly scola
    parker got diaw/de colo
    Splitter needs varejao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitter would be traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    should do this in fairness to Splitter
    Splitter would be traded.

As to the trade, I'd do it for the reasons already discussed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think of it from Cleveland's persepctive. You will let Varejao go if you can get cap relief to go after Bynum, and if you can get an unprotected 1st round draft pick from a lower seed playoff team that could land you in the lottery. Bonner and Neal help with the salary issue, but the desire for a possible lottery pick will remain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hesitancy is hustle bigs almost all fall off a cliff at around 30. Varejao turns 30 in a couple months. If he loses a step, he's no longer worth his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding a first round pick is overpaying. I'd decline if they asked for one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My hesitancy is hustle bigs almost all fall off a cliff at around 30. Varejao turns 30 in a couple months. If he loses a step, he's no longer worth his contract.
    Perhaps...but it's still a palatable contract even if he does lose a step and it's basically two seasons. There is more risk to re-signing an injury prone Splitter to a similar deal IMO.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Cleveland would jump on this trade tbh.

I might consider this trade if we get Scola.

I don't like the contract. I want to move Tiago but not for an overpaid player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Varejao thread... I don't like his contract, and really dont see him as an upgrade to Splitter at all (marginal at best). I'm not opposed to moving Splitter, but I'd rather get better young parts from a team like Houston. Now if the Cavs add a pick in there, I may be inclined.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would make this deal in a heart beat. We are in win now mode and Andy makes us significantly better defensively and he is a pretty good rebounder. I'm not worried about his age since players really start to lose a step at around 32 or 33 and that's when he will be on the last year of his deal. Plus, Tiago will be 28 midway through this coming season and he is nothing more than a complimentary piece but not as good defensively as Andy in my opinion. Losing Neal would be negligible since we have many guards under contract. I rather see Mills and DeColo get the backup point guard slots and no way Neal would get ahead of Green and Ginobili at the 2.

I can't imagine Cleveland getting a better deal. A pretty good & cheap big man and a sharp shooter in Neal. However, the inclusion of Bonner may torpedo the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as I would like to see Bonner off the team, I can't see the Spurs trading away someone they might have to overpay next year for someone that they will be overpaying for the next two or three. I agree that Splitter is probably more valuable to a team without a franchise big man, but selling him to Cleveland for an overpaid role player isn't maximizing his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where any of you are getting the idea that Varejao is overpaid. His contract is pretty close to market value for a rotation big. Guess Spurfan is just used to low balling players.

And at Andy not being equal value for Splitter. I don't even have a good response to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where any of you are getting the idea that Varejao is overpaid. His contract is pretty close to market value for a rotation big. Guess Spurfan is just used to low balling players.

And at Andy not being equal value for Splitter. I don't even have a good response to that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is Varejao that much better than Splitter that is worth to take his contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's making almost $18M in the next two years and the only thing he does above average is rebound. As for his value relative to Splitter, he's a substantially less effective offensive player. While I'd agree Varajao is the better defender, I don't think it's as wide a gap as their respective offensive games.

Splitter lacks the opportunity to show he's a 30MPG Center, so it makes sense to capitalize on his value. I just think there's a better option out there. Could be wrong...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adding a first round pick is overpaying. I'd decline if they asked for one.
    It doesn't matter anyway because league rules prohibit a team from trading away first round picks in consecutive years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is Varejao that much better than Splitter that is worth to take his contract?
    No, actually Splitter is better (verification pending in London).

More to the point, do you think Pop would play Varejao?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll never give up on Splitter for Varejao.
    Tiago is younger and just needs more playing time...and in a full regular season he'll get plemnty of that.

Cleveland needs cap space. I'd do the trade sending them Blair, Neal, Bonner plus Joseph and Byars contracts (Byars they can cut and co.jo they can not exercise the option).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't matter anyway because league rules prohibit a team from trading away first round picks in consecutive years.
    Consecutive future picks. Spurs can trade their 2013 pick because the 2012 draft is behind them. They just can't trade their 2013 and 2014. At least that's how I understand it.

Thread Information