Page 95 of 238 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 5945
    Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Its hard to say. Basically all movies she's been in she acts like a lunatic . Actors play those roles to a Tee so there is nothing great about that.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    so am I the only one that thinks Jennifer Lawrence can't really act?

Winter's Bone was a good typecast role for her, but she's been hard to watch in everything I've seen her in since.

You're not. She's so overrated it's not even funny. Giving her an Oscar for Silver Linings Playbook is a farce, and I don't even value Oscars that much. Any movie with her playing the leading role probably wouldn't even make the official selection of Cannes, Berlinale, or the Venice Biennale, tbh. She's this typical conservative, hillbilly, pop corn actress that wouldn't show her boobs or pussy on film if her life depended on it, she even looks awkward kissing. She strikes me as this girl that was snatched right from the hart of the Appalachian hills and put in front of Hollywood cameras. I can see her value for the (pop corn) industry tho, since she's kind of good looking and can attract the conservative, noncritical public to the cinemas. Maybe she can get better with time, we'll see, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I saw a fine one on the cable from the late '90's..."The Hi-Lo Country" with Woody Harrelson & Patricia Arquette, circa 1940's. Harrelson is fine and so is Arquette as they're involved in an illicit love affair (she is married). Billy Crudup plays Harrelson's friend and he tells the story, though he has the decency (as actor) to pull back and lets Harrelson take the con. There is an undercurrent here of station & place in this small/isolated Texas community and this leads to the heart of the movie and it's drive train, the violence is vicious whether spoken or displayed. An appearance by Katy Jurado of "High Noon" notation is glorious--though momentary & indicative.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Way Way Back - 7/10

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Her 8.5/10

What does a baby computer call its father? Data

Interesting movie to say the least. Perfect for a celibate like Rogue

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Her 8.5/10

What does a baby computer call its father? Data

Interesting movie to say the least. Perfect for a celibate like Rogue
    Where have you downloaded it tbh? I understand that character's feelings, I really do

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Where have you downloaded it tbh? I understand that character's feelings, I really do
    tehparadox.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    SPOILERS ALERT!!!

I watched a terrific film yesterday on TCM. "13 Rue Madeleine" from '46 with James Cagney & Richard Conte. A harrowing account of espionage during the end of WWII. Cagney plays a U.S. operative and Conte is a double agent out of Germany. Cagney is fine as usual, but, it's Conte's portrayal of the German agent where the film rests & moves. He's at turns friendly and loyal---then cold and extremely lethal. The production code was tight then, but, this film got past a lot of it, and it's these parts that are hard to take and view. Cagney runs Conte to ground in Nazi occupied France and is himself taken prisoner there. His fellow agent is able to get off a communication that he's been taken prisoner before she is shot to death by Gestapo. Cagney misses his chance to exterminate himself with a cyanide capsule and is systematically beaten as Conte tries to get the plans for D'Day out of him. Informed that Cagney lives the U.S. immediately orders a massive air assault of basically a daisy cutter protocol on the address where he's being held and tortured, 13 Rue Madeleine. He takes Conte and his torturers with him, laughing all the way, "Cody Jarrett" style. It's a stunning film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Inside Llewyn Davis - 10/10

Coen bros are always great. Amazing soundtrack too.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Wolf of Wall Street 7.5/10

Lost some points because the movie seems to go on needlessly forever.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Rush 8/10

Excellent biopic.

That James Hunt was a complete beta. Niki Lauda was the man.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    Her - Two Lovers meets 2001

• Quite an original film. I never knew what would happen next (except with the Amy Adams plot resolution).
    • Speaking of Amy Adams, she was a qtp2t in this. Joaquin gave a great performance as well. Why couldn't The Master have been this good?
    • ScarJo kind of sucks as an actress, but she might have a future in voice acting. She was good in this.
    • I loved the look of the not-to-distant future in this. The game Joaquin was playing looked interesting. My only gripe would be that there would be so many distracted pedestrians that the number of vehicular accidents would skyrocket.
    • I want to buy red outerwear now.

Great, engaging movie.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    • I loved the look of the not-to-distant future in this. The game Joaquin was playing looked interesting.
    I believe Tom Cruise had a similar plaything in Minority Report.

Its intriguing. I just hope we get to this next level of tecnology soon rather than when we're 80 and cant enjoy . lol

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I really want to see this. Haven't found a theater close to me playing it though..

Her - Two Lovers meets 2001

• Quite an original film. I never knew what would happen next (except with the Amy Adams plot resolution).
    • Speaking of Amy Adams, she was a qtp2t in this. Joaquin gave a great performance as well. Why couldn't The Master have been this good?
    • ScarJo kind of sucks as an actress, but she might have a future in voice acting. She was good in this.
    • I loved the look of the not-to-distant future in this. The game Joaquin was playing looked interesting. My only gripe would be that there would be so many distracted pedestrians that the number of vehicular accidents would skyrocket.
    • I want to buy red outerwear now.

Great, engaging movie.
    This looks amazing too. Glad to hear others seem to enjoy it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    College
    LSU Tigers
    I believe Tom Cruise had a similar plaything in Minority Report.

Its intriguing. I just hope we get to this next level of tecnology soon rather than when we're 80 and cant enjoy . lol
    10 years, maybe 20 years tops, and this will be a reality. Maybe even sooner. I feel that we, as the consumer, are spoiled. Technological leaps that would have been seen as ground breaking 20 years ago are really no big deal now. Realistic graphics in games fail to impress now as much as they once did, too. It's become what's expected.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    My Trip to Al Qaeda

Can't really give an objective score as I am a little in awe of Lawrence Wright. Dude wrote the screenplay for the prescient movie The Siege years before 9/11, then was moved to spend five years researching and writing the monumental history of modern fundamentalist Islam in general and Al Qaeda in particular, The Looming Tower. This HBO film owes a lot to Spalding Gray for its form, but builds on the one-man show with location shoots and more standard do entary sections. It serves best as a companion and epilogue to Tower, and really fleshes out his process and motivations as well as giving him a chance to air his personal views on terror and the US reaction to it. It was refreshing to hear Wright relate stories about losing his cool and arguing with people from whom he was trying to get sensitive information, for example, as well as his freaking out when he realized the NSA had tapped his phones.

Good stuff. He could probably do another one man show/do entary about writing his book on the church of Scientology.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don Jon 4.5/10

Finally got around to watching this. Big mistake.

I dont have anything against Gordon Levitt for the most part but he was ultra douchier than usual. Looked like a ing guido.

Barely finish the film because I dont like starting movies and quitting midway. No idea how Rogue watched this twice.

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I only watched the Goddess scenes but sadly all those scenes also included that perverse head Levitt. Every time I saw that er's face I felt an instant impulse to through a few bricks into the computer screen tbh. Son of a Levitt got the world's most punchable face, which I've said many times on spurstalk imho.

But they're actors and it's just their job, maybe Levitt is a fine person in the real life but who knows/cares?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

They finally released it here. I'm going Thursday.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I watched "Them" last nite on Fearnet. Standard fare, but, the girl was extremely hot. What an ass.
    Maria Roman

or

Olivia Bonamy

or
    _______ _______?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^I believe it was the Bonamy girl. She looks familiar.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Lone Ranger. 6/10

It was aight. The dude that played the LR was not good, but I don't see why this movie got such bad reviews. I guess critics are tiring of Johnny Depp's shtick.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^Remember the last LR? Clinton Spilsbury I believe was his name. And Media roasted his honkey ass. & that movie was not that bad either.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I really want to see this. Haven't found a theater close to me playing it though...
    They finally released it here. I'm going Thursday.

Here's the most accurate review that I've come across for the movie.

The Coens' sense of sardonic melancholy has never been as sharply observed as it is here, where the laughs are born neither of empathy or derision but rather exasperation with the world's indifference. There's symbols and allusions aplenty, but making sense of the film isn't what it's all about - rather, it's in tuning into its specific elegiac frequency, rendered visually through seemingly omnipresent soft focus and muted colors, and both identifying with and kind of hating the storytellers' gorgeously realized antihero. Isaac's performance is truly spectacular, quite possibly the best lead performance of the year, as tough as it is to make a grating personality like Llewyn's one you want to be around for a while, and it's to his immense credit that in Isaac's hands (and with the Coens' direction) the attraction others have to Davis is easy to see. Don't go into this one expecting it to be too funny - in fact, be ready for some fairly heady existential angst as you walk out of the theater - but know that the world you're transplanted in for its brief running time is as perfectly crafted and its characters as expertly drawn as anything else the Coens have ever done.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    3 Women -- 8/10

I am really glad movies like this got made. I can't say I always "get" Altman, but I think watching all that improvisational, dream-based work by David Lynch over the years made me more open to it even though I had no advance knowledge of the film. It's more seamless than Lynch -- you float through it rather than being knocked about -- so much that the eeriness of the movie kind of creeps up on you and builds throughout the film til you look back at the end and say "OK, that was really messed up." Felt a lot more complete than Lynch stuff too, and as crazy as it was, it felt more plausible than, say, Single White Female. Apparently Altman's goal was to make a movie that would just evoke pure emotion from the viewer, but it just made me think about it even more. I'm sure I would have different feelings and thoughts upon repeated viewings. Great performances by the ular women, distracting score. Sounded like a Barnaby Jones episode at the beginning and a war movie at the end.

Thread Information