Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The two Ignite guys can't shoot, they're both like 27% from the three point line. And trade down to where? If the Spurs fall to #4 in the draft, which will happen with a probability of 60% or higher, Dillingham is probably going to be the best player available. If you want him there is no trading down.
    Buzelis was supposedly a 40% shooter from 3 before Ignite, the program is so dysfunctional that taking a gamble that he's better than numbers currently indicate isn't crazy, or something that hasn't happened before. There are lots of reasons why a prospect may be underperforming, most of the times it's an accurate reflection of their capabilities, but not always. I wouldn't take that gamble on a pick in the 2-5 range, but I might in the late lottery. Say, for instance, OKC wants to jump up from 12 & 13, they give you one of those and a future pick, you take the gamble and keep an extra asset. I'm saying it's a possibility to consider, of course the chance isn't always there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t give a what you were saying. I literally wasn’t responding to you. I’m not squirming at all. I’m just calling you out for being a lying piece of who refuses to accept basic reality because you have some sick pathology for picking unnecessary internet fights. Seek help bro, hope you get better.
    For someone that doesn't give a what I think you do a whole lot of ad hominem. I refuse to take the bait and have maintained the issue. If you want to play victim and whine as your defense go for it.

You do not like ambiguity and prefer a more sure thing. That is fine but could you possibly understand how the Spurs feel player development is their compe ive advantage -as it has been in the past- and why they may want to go that route?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember when so many wanted Spurs to trade firsts for Quickley just to be forced to pay him in free agency? He’s a solid player, but hes not doing anything to elevate TOR at all and Im very happy with benefit of hindsight SA did not bite on that type of deal.

Spurs can do better than Quickley for the money/picks he did/would have/will commanded.
    It was a 1st, it's been a small sample size (with Poeltl mostly out and Barrett and him in and out) and the team sucks even if healthy.

Of course he can't singlehandedly elevate a team; few can.

Even if I spotted that team 100% more wins than this current iteration has, that would make them 20-30, which would be good enough for 13th in the conference and a solid 5 games out of the 10th spot. The Grizz are currently 6.5 games out, so even a generous view of that proposed teams compe iveness would not have them in play-in contention.

This team has a fundamental talent problem. Vassell, it’s second best player, is a fourth option on a contending team. Sochan might have promise. Keldon should be a 7th-8th man. Tre is fine, I guess. Everyone else is flotsam. Adding more flotsam/unprovens who need 3-5 years to develop is not a path to success when Vic could be a top 25 player next year.

They should seriously consider monetizing some of their assets. Bird in hand isn’t always worth 2 in the bush.
    So many do not comprehend how this league works now, how talented it is, how far off this team is from even being compe ively bad, how likely they are to remain beneath that line for the foreseeable future with the glacial approach they want to see and what that will likely begin doing to the relationship with Wembanyama if it persists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We tried to replace AJ with everyone from Rivers to Claxton. We tried to replace Mario Elie with Dale Ellis and Steve Smith. We tried to replace Sean Elliot with Richard Jefferson.

They were all 'proven vets' that did little more that provide a veneer of contending. We won championships because of guys we drafted and developed and then added pieces onto. Not the other way around.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We tried to replace AJ with everyone from Rivers to Claxton. We tried to replace Mario Elie with Dale Ellis and Steve Smith. We tried to replace Sean Elliot with Richard Jefferson.

They were all 'proven vets' that did little more that provide a veneer of contending. We won championships because of guys we drafted and developed and then added pieces onto. Not the other way around.
    Dale Ellis was before Elie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dale Ellis was before Elie.
    Fair but we were trying to replace Anderson at that point. That whole team was a microcosm of how to build to the cusp of contending bringing in vets like mings and Carr and then bringing in Robinson. Led us to their peak in 95.

I would also add us bringing in Aldridge to replace Robinson/Duncan.

All proven vets with all star appearances. Led to nothing.

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.si.com/nba/knicks/trade-...ey-replacement

Someone threw out a possible Fournier, Grimes and 1st round pick for Keldon. Any takers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been awhile but Bob Bass used to love to trade away picks for proven vets too. He was overrated as .

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does the Mavs moving from 6 (Robert Tractor Traylor) to no. 9 (Dirk Nowitzki) ring a bell? Last year Mavs moved back from 10 to 12, dumped Bertans and still got their guy in Lively.
    I'm not saying it necessarily works every time, but if you really don't love anyone and you think it's the same tier of players several spots below, why not move back and pick up assets if possible?
    Yeah that’s a good example. It was a genuine question. Not sarcasm. I’d still be interested in a big picture perspective of moving down.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This may be the stupidest post in the history of ST. Dale Ellis left five years before Mario was here. Speedy was Parker's backup. RJ was a small ball 4 a decade after Sean left.

Jesus.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Someone threw out a possible Fournier, Grimes and 1st round pick for Keldon. Any takers?
    Hmmmmm

Probably not my idea of a fair deal. Grimes is looking to get paid and even an MLE salary from another team starts close to 13, not a huge amount of savings on Keldon for a worse player. And the Knicks available firsts include a lot of fake firsts that are even worse than the Spurs fake Charlotte first

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The idea of trading back always sounds nice… but who is going to want to trade up in this draft? Moving down might be tough, and riskier that normal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The part I don’t understand about the all in crowd is what happens after we got that vet? Say a Trae jones. Now the war chest is depleted, we may be able to trade keldon or Vassell for some protected firsts. Then what? Trae and wemby gets you to a low playoff seed, I’d say 4th seed at best. Then we got picks in the late teens early twenties after that with little change of improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It would depend on the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the Trae Young thread, Ex mentioned Devonte being worth a lot at the trade deadline to a second apron team, or one approaching it.

Last night I was thinking about why aren't they playing him more than they are and I was wondering if he would be moved or bought out (not sure he can be bought out this season) to open up the roster spot to convert Dom Barlow to a contract and roster spot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This may be the stupidest post in the history of ST. Dale Ellis left five years before Mario was here. Speedy was Parker's backup. RJ was a small ball 4 a decade after Sean left.

Jesus.
    I love people that find an error in a point of fact and act like they have accomplished something.

I already discussed Dale Ellis. Different time period than Smith but a similar move in futility.

Claxton was brought in and Pop went with a draft pick that season and long term but Claxton was the last of the replacements. You really seem to miss the forest for a tree in your nitpicking on that one. Your accomplishment is marred.

You're right, it was Bowen we were replacing. My point still stays the same. I can understand why the Spurs might not be interested in trading away assets for all star or similarly valued veterans. Take a good deal of course but there is no need to act desperate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think the Spurs value him way higher than that.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The part I don’t understand about the all in crowd is what happens after we got that vet? Say a Trae jones. Now the war chest is depleted, we may be able to trade keldon or Vassell for some protected firsts. Then what? Trae and wemby gets you to a low playoff seed, I’d say 4th seed at best. Then we got picks in the late teens early twenties after that with little change of improvement.
    The war chest isn't even close to depleted. We have a lot more picks than you guys think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love people that find an error in a point of fact and act like they have accomplished something.

I already discussed Dale Ellis. Different time period than Smith but a similar move in futility.

Claxton was brought in and Pop went with a draft pick that season and long term but Claxton was the last of the replacements. You really seem to miss the forest for a tree in your nitpicking on that one. Your accomplishment is marred.

You're right, it was Bowen we were replacing. My point still stays the same. I can understand why the Spurs might not be interested in trading away assets for all star or similarly valued veterans. Take a good deal of course but there is no need to act desperate.
    The problem with your post (besides not knowing the timeline of players) is that it doesn’t apply to our current roster. Those rosters you spoke of already had plenty of veteran talent. What they didn’t have is young talent. We had the big 3 which were all vets, and Robinson was a vet along with the majority of that 95 team. So we were really replacing veteran talent for other veterans.

The spurs this year have no vet talent to speak of. So that is something we are missing. So getting the youngest team in the NBA some actual veteran talent isn’t a bad thing. Even if we overpay for it. PG13 is my dream addition. But I would still like Klay or Middleton should they become available (and it’s looking more likely that they are available).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The war chest isn't even close to depleted. We have a lot more picks than you guys think.
    The rest of the picks, except maybe Toronto, are extremely mid. The war chest IS the unprotected picks we got from ATL, which they will certainly want back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on the trade, if we are giving all of Atlanta's picks and swaps back, the only really valuable piece left is the Mavs swap. Which ones am I missing?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on the trade, if we are giving all of Atlanta's picks and swaps back, the only really valuable piece left is the Mavs swap. Which ones am I missing?
    Still got the Boston swap (protection against only the top pick in '28)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with your post (besides not knowing the timeline of players) is that it doesn’t apply to our current roster. Those rosters you spoke of already had plenty of veteran talent. What they didn’t have is young talent. We had the big 3 which were all vets, and Robinson was a vet along with the majority of that 95 team. So we were really replacing veteran talent for other veterans.

The spurs this year have no vet talent to speak of. So that is something we are missing. So getting the youngest team in the NBA some actual veteran talent isn’t a bad thing. Even if we overpay for it. PG13 is my dream addition. But I would still like Klay or Middleton should they become available (and it’s looking more likely that they are available).
    I already spoke to that regarding Dale Ellis. mings, Carr, and Jones were brought in too. That got us to that team's peak in 95 which was quite the whimper.

Much like trying to find help for Robinson there, we have not had fortune in finding all star talent partner's for our cornerstone's from other team's castoffs. A lot of those player's I mentioned were not acquired via trade either. With a trade the cost increases for what is at best a questionable benefit.

As for Wemby needing veteran help, this is not Robinson coming from 2 years of Naval service or Barkley needing Moses Malone to show him how to train and eat. Wemby was a professional for several years and eats and trains as well as anyone in the league already. Popovich has repeatedly talked about how he does not have to worry about Wemby's professionalism.

What they are trying to do is rebuild a Spur's culture. Pop used to call it corporate knowledge but now they are starting over creating the Wemby version. I am fine with acquiring talent but the reward from 'proven veterans' in finding core players for our championships has been meager.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I missing something or the number of potential (realistic) trade targets over the next year or two isn't that good?
    *I personally don't want some of these players, just listing all the possible options. I'll try to keep it to younger players unless they're free agents this summer

Boston: Derrick if they don't offer him an extension.
    Cleveland: Garland if they keep Mitc , Okoro if they decide to move him.
    Philadelphia: Tobias Harris is a free agent this summer
    Indiana: Nembhard if he asks for a bigger role, Toppin lost some minutes with Siakam trade, Hield is a free agent this summer
    Miami: Herro with Spurs as a third team to enable the trade
    Atlanta: Trae, DJ
    Brooklyn: Bridges, Johnson, Claxton
    Charlotte: PJ Washington
    Wizards: Tyus Jones
    Detroit: Monte Morris
    New Orleans: Herb Jones, Valanciunas is a free agent this summer

I don't think some others like Kuminga/Moody are realistic targets, maybe I'm wrong.
    Many teams have stars that are close to 30 or older, with younger stars being untouchable.
    Not many role players are available, either, we missed our chance to take a swing at Quickley or OG.

If Spurs don't want Trae, I'd wait and see how Derrick's situation in Boston develops. If they fail again this year, I'm sure they'll make some moves and they're not going to be able to offer him a good deal due to their cap space. He could be brought back for a fairly low price and would be great for Wemby. He'd also be a great mentor for a rookie point guard and could share the floor with him because of his size.

Tobias and Buddy Hield are two free agency targets Spurs should try for, imo. But only if it's a 3 year deal, not longer.
    Nets are asking way too much for their players, with both Bridges and Johnson being 28 before the next season starts.

I put Herb on the list because of reports that he's unhappy, but I don't think Pelicans want to trade him.

Obviously crazy stuff like Luka asking out can happen, but there's no way Mavs would ever trade him to the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still got the Boston swap (protection against only the top pick in '28)
    they'll still have tatum and brown in their primes by then, its not really a given that it will convey at all

Thread Information