Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy needs to forget about international play and concentrate on getting healthy for the upcoming NBA season...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bone marrow edema is a precursor to stress fractures, and isn't hard to see on an MRI.
    If it's got anything to do with stress micro-fractures, it's the result and not a precursor. Bone edema doesn't cause the micro-fractures, or show up in advance. It's the body's response to them.

The doctor diagnosed "significant bony edema". A doctor doesn't choose those words by accident, and it won't be something that has been there his whole life. He may have been playing with stress injury in the ankle for a while, but "significant bony edema" isn't congenital. The treatment for stress injury is rest. Not reduced playing time, rest. Don't let it heal all the way, and it will flare back up before you know it.

He could have ligament/tendon problems that could cause bone edema, but that would mean he's courting some of the same problems Tim has had. Or he could have had a deep bruise that crushed some bone fibers, and caused edema. The solution for both of those (assuming it isn't permanent damage) is the same - rest. He could have cartilage damage that lets bone rub on bone, and has caused edema. Rest won't fix that, but it will let the bone injury heal.

Significant bone edema - he needs to be off the court and in a boot. The rest of the yammer is pure horse and a waste of time. If they get him back on the NT this season, they're playing with his future there as well as here. Rest is not a punishment.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His agent sounds like a dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I'm concerned about Boban's health, which should be the main issue. But the other issue is will this create significant bad blood with the Spurs? As others have mentioned, Manu got over being blocked from playing with his NT, but he has (obviously) a much longer relationship with PATFO. This agent and his "war" stance can't really be a good thing.

I feel sorry for Boban. I understand why players want to play for their NT's and I have supported other Spurs players who have wished to do so in the past. I respect his love of his country and the international game. But a big guy with a foot/ankle injury...it's better he rest now, than make it worse by playing.

Also, this agent doesn't seem to realize that he'll make no friends in the Spurs organization by taking the issues public. Maybe, he doesn't care. But as they are one of the most aggressive teams in acquiring overseas players, he'll likely have to deal with them beyond Marjanovic at some point.
    Last edited by BillMc; 08-05-2015 at 03:43 AM.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously I'm concerned about Boban's health, which should be the main issue. But the other issue is will this create significant bad blood with the Spurs? As others have mentioned, Manu got over being blocked from playing with his NT, but he has (obviously) a much longer relationship with PATFO. This agent and his "war" stance can't really be a good thing.

I feel sorry for Boban. I understand why players want to play for their NT's and I have supported other Spurs players who have wished to do so in the past. I respect his love of his country and the international game. But a big guy with a foot/ankle injury...it's better he rest now, that make it worse by not playing.

Also, this agent doesn't seem to realize that he'll make no friends in the Spurs organization by taking the issues public. Maybe, he doesn't care. But they are one of the most aggressive teams in acquiring overseas players he'll like have to deal with them beyond Marjanovic at some point.
    Well put

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like basically everything, it isn't a black or white situation. There is definitively something wrong with Marjanovic foot (hence the swelling) but he could have played through it. In fact without the David Pick article and quotes from Radovic, he would have played the Eurobasket.

Spurs have Serbian NT have quite opposite interest:
    - Spurs aren't concerned with how well Serbia will do this summer. Their goal is to have fully healthy players for the training camp. If there is a risk, even a slight one, that a player get an injury because of a previous issue, they won't allow it.
    - Serbian NT main goal is to win games and be as good as possible for the Eurobasket. They aren't that concerned with a player developing an injury that could sidelined him with his future NBA team.

The FIBA/NBA agreement gives the upper hand to the NBA team to determine is a player is fit to play with his NT. Spurs use it at their advantage and protect their investment. And yes, it sucks for Serbian NT and their coach. They have every right to be upset.
    Tbh, if they actually said anything like that bolded line, imo they have no right whatsoever to be upset and proved the Spurs should be trying to get him pulled from playing for them.

Spurs are paying him over a million bucks to play. Serbia's paying nothing. his national team tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs basically railroaded Manu ing Ginobili into missing Intl Basketball with Argentina last summer so this dude and his agent shouldn't be trying to second guess us..He isn't walking in the NBA to play for the Kings or some other dreary franchise..a humongous big with foot issues is the reddest of flags, END OF..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it might be the same agent of Milutinov and Dangubic, and controls lots of other players in a fashion that suggests the players work for him and not vice versa. So I imagine if he wanted to go to war he'd have some ammo.
    The agent's at ude here is extremely distressing. It's like he thinks of himself as the gatekeeper of his players rather than a facilitator to their careers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps we can all agree that Marjanovic's career is starting off on the wrong foot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like basically everything, it isn't a black or white situation. There is definitively something wrong with Marjanovic foot (hence the swelling) but he could have played through it. In fact without the David Pick article and quotes from Radovic, he would have played the Eurobasket.

Spurs have Serbian NT have quite opposite interest:
    - Spurs aren't concerned with how well Serbia will do this summer. Their goal is to have fully healthy players for the training camp. If there is a risk, even a slight one, that a player get an injury because of a previous issue, they won't allow it.
    - Serbian NT main goal is to win games and be as good as possible for the Eurobasket. They aren't that concerned with a player developing an injury that could sidelined him with his future NBA team.

The FIBA/NBA agreement gives the upper hand to the NBA team to determine is a player is fit to play with his NT. Spurs use it at their advantage and protect their investment. And yes, it sucks for Serbian NT and their coach. They have every right to be upset.
    I agree, they have every right to be upset. Also the consensus is that American doctors are overly conservative/cautious as compared to doctors elsewhere.

However the quote 'going to war', says that 'we are going to make your life miserable because of this'. A really bad remark that I hope that agent doesn't pursue that goal.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whiskers gy'n up another summer thread tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol why spursfans concerned about a 12th mans injuries

Long offseason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yao Ming anyone? That's the name that came to mind when I read the news on Marjanovic. These giants are too big for their own good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dragan Djilas, presiden of Serbian Basketball sent a letter to RC.

http://www.kss.rs/wp-content/uploads...Marjanovic.pdf
    Last edited by Mamuza94; 08-05-2015 at 07:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More eloquent than his agent but will be just as futile.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is getting problematic.

So now its the assessment of one medical staff over another medical staff?

What's the incentive of the Spurs medical staff to admit they were too conservative? If Boban plays and his feet gets worse, the Spurs medical staff will be responsible.

What's the incentive of RC to override the Spurs medical staff decision?

SRB is saying that RC should override Spurs staff opinion and roll the dice on Boban. Make sense from the Serbian perspective, but not for the Spurs who are spending millions of dollars on Boban.

The downside of this is that Spurs may get a tarnished reputation that they don't allow their players to play in international meets. I think this is best resolved with a Serbian shouting match.... Serbian vs Serbian. The way it works is you vent as much as you can, but you never compromise. Spurs will stick to their guns.

Let Pop deal with this, he knows how to deal with Serbians. RC should bow out 'coz he's an American and will absolutely not get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why you acting brand new now clown? You still a name change or not.
    Hes jealous of Caitlyn. Hence the "transition"...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thank you for posting that. Djilas is certainly more business like that the agent was. And I see this as a very unfortunate conflict of interests for both sides. I do wonder, however, why this letter is available to the public, as opposed to just sent privately to the Spurs? Is this normal?

Best, Bill

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, if they actually said anything like that bolded line, imo they have no right whatsoever to be upset and proved the Spurs should be trying to get him pulled from playing for them.
    They haven't said something like that. I will try to explain better what I meant by that.

Marjanovic has a bone edema. There is a 95% odd (made up number) that playing with his NT will have no consequences and there is a 5% odd that the bone edema turns into a break that will sideline Marjanovic for at least a couple of months.
    - Spurs are worried about these 5% and that's why the don't allow him to play.
    - Serbian NT doctors considers that it's a very low risk that doesn't necessitate Marjanovic not playing with the NT.
    Spurs are paying him over a million bucks to play. Serbia's paying nothing. his national team tbh.
    Well, it's debatable.
    During his youth, people in Serbia have spend a lot time and money to develop him as a basketball player. One can say it creates a moral debt and that playing for the NT is a way to pay it while Marjanovic won't really be able to help Serbian basketball when he is in SA.

At the end it's a question of personal moral values that isn't limited to basketball.
    For example, in a country like France, studies to be an engineer, which are expensive, are often free and are paid by the state. Is it fine that someone at the end of its studies decides to work at the silicon valley and never come back to France?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have brought this guy over instead.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad you decide to change the avy. That ugly ass mug was killing my apa e.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were the Spurs I would be willing to let Boban play for the SNT if he agrees to make his contract non-guaranteed. There's no sense in the Spurs owning the financial obligation if he gets hurt when they don't want him to go. I'm sure some Serbian insurance group can give him a policy to cover his salary if he gets injured. Seems like the best of both worlds.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's got anything to do with stress micro-fractures, it's the result and not a precursor. Bone edema doesn't cause the micro-fractures, or show up in advance. It's the body's response to them.

The doctor diagnosed "significant bony edema". A doctor doesn't choose those words by accident, and it won't be something that has been there his whole life. He may have been playing with stress injury in the ankle for a while, but "significant bony edema" isn't congenital. The treatment for stress injury is rest. Not reduced playing time, rest. Don't let it heal all the way, and it will flare back up before you know it.

He could have ligament/tendon problems that could cause bone edema, but that would mean he's courting some of the same problems Tim has had. Or he could have had a deep bruise that crushed some bone fibers, and caused edema. The solution for both of those (assuming it isn't permanent damage) is the same - rest. He could have cartilage damage that lets bone rub on bone, and has caused edema. Rest won't fix that, but it will let the bone injury heal.

Significant bone edema - he needs to be off the court and in a boot. The rest of the yammer is pure horse and a waste of time. If they get him back on the NT this season, they're playing with his future there as well as here. Rest is not a punishment.
    Clearly you know far more about it than I do. Even if it's what I mentioned, which seems pretty serious, it's far less serious than what you outlined above. Seems pretty clear that playing is an unreasonable risk.

Shifting gears a bit, we've heard the song his agent is singing before. You get a guy who can't play, a rabid fan base who wants to win at all costs, so the Spurs step in and happily play the part of the bad guy, allowing everyone else to save face and the player to heal up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Javtokas freek accident to Bartnes twice tearing his knees, to now Marjanovic, is there a curse causing every international spurs player to get injured?

Thread Information