Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info Mel. As far as Dallas goes, it's really Brand or Scola right? Brand is equally pricy no?
    I think I read the minimum bid for Brand is only about $1.35 million.

I Make Love To Pressure MR.SILVER&BLack's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats what i was thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Turkogluglu !

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be funny if we ended up getting Scola and started him next to Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so does anyone really know what happend between scola and the spurs brass years ago?!?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scola thread!!!!!!!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so does anyone really know what happend between scola and the spurs brass years ago?!?
    Short version.

-Scola says he doesn't want to be drafted.

-Spurs draft Scola anyways.

-Scola throws a tantrum.

-Spurs start to scout Scola.

-Buford emails Scola to tell him he needs to rebound better.

-Scola gets pissed and says he rebounds the ball fine.

-Spurs try to bring over Scola but don't want to pay $10M+. At the time, no second round draft pick had ever been paid anything close to that amount.

-When negotiations breakdown, the Spurs blame Scola having a $8 million buyout.

-Scola says his buyout isn't nearly that expensive; Spurs claim it is.

-Time passes and the Spurs still don't want to pay the money Scola wants (still $10M+).

-Spurs begin to shop Scola, wanting a first round draft pick. Get no takers.

-Spurs sour on Jackie Butler and his $2.5 million contract.

-The only team offering more than a second round pick for Scola is the Rockets.

-Spurs don't want to trade with Rockets so they hold out for another team. Try to convince Ferry and the Cavs to take him. Ferry declines. Then Spurs try to sell the Bulls on him. That fails too.

-Rockets offer the ability to salary dump Butler's contract plus a second round pick.

-Pop says not to do it but Buford insists it's the only option.

-Spurs make the trade.

-Rockets instantly sign Scola. Turns out his buyout wasn't anything close to $8 million.

-Scola plays better than anticipated -- including rebounding at a high level.

-Pop is pissed. Buford is silent.

-Scola makes sure to burn the Spurs each time the two teams play.

-Scola improves to the point that he gets a $47 million contract with the Rockets.

-In the meantime, the Spurs hand Bonner $25 million worth of contracts to lay eggs in the playoffs.

-Scola almost gets traded in the CP3 deal. When trade is taken back, Scola responds with a horrible season.

-Bonner still choking in the playoffs.

-Scola gets amnestied. Rockets end up paying $20M+ to wipe his contract off the books.

Damn, that wasn't short...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Short version.

-Scola says he doesn't want to be drafted.

-Spurs draft Scola anyways.

-Scola throws a tantrum.

-Spurs start to scout Scola.

-Buford emails Scola to tell him he needs to rebound better.

-Scola gets pissed and says he rebounds the ball fine.

-Spurs try to bring over Scola but don't want to pay $10M+. At the time, no second round draft pick had ever been paid anything close to that amount.

-When negotiations breakdown, the Spurs blame Scola having a $8 million buyout.

-Scola says his buyout isn't nearly that expensive; Spurs claim it is.

-Time passes and the Spurs still don't want to pay the money Scola wants (still $10M+).

-Spurs begin to shop Scola, wanting a first round draft pick. Get no takers.

-Spurs sour on Jackie Butler and his $2.5 million contract.

-The only team offering more than a second round pick for Scola is the Rockets.

-Spurs don't want to trade with Rockets so they hold out for another team. Try to convince Ferry and the Cavs to take him. Ferry declines. Then Spurs try to sell the Bulls on him. That fails too.

-Rockets offer the ability to salary dump Butler's contract plus a second round pick.

-Pop says not to do it but Buford insists it's the only option.

-Spurs make the trade.

-Rockets instantly sign Scola. Turns out his buyout wasn't anything close to $8 million.

-Scola plays better than anticipated -- including rebounding at a high level.

-Pop is pissed. Buford is silent.

-Scola makes sure to burn the Spurs each time the two teams play.

-Scola improves to the point that he gets a $47 million contract with the Rockets.

-In the meantime, the Spurs hand Bonner $25 million worth of contracts to lay eggs in the playoffs.

-Scola almost gets traded in the CP3 deal. When trade is taken back, Scola responds with a horrible season.

-Bonner still choking in the playoffs.

-Scola gets amnestied. Rockets end up paying $20M+ to wipe his contract off the books.

thanks vp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Short version....

Sco much for Scola..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    intersting pop didnt want the trade

sickening that bonner made 25 mil playing basketball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Butttttttt Scola is our saviour!!!!!!!!!!!! YES HE IS! Bonner still sucks though, he is some .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this the same Scola from several years ago that we couldn't buy out? Then we trade him..well the rights to him just for the buyout to get dropped for the Rockettes? Greeeaaat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still can't believe how bad we screwed up with Scola.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs will claim him.

Spurs won't get him.

Scola has a horrible relationship with the Spurs FO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Short version.

I remember that in the summer of 2007 Scola wanted to be a starter and Spurs couldn't promise that.

And the FO believed that Splitter would be better than Scola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, it took the Rockets 5 days to resolve Scola's buyout... what the Spurs couldn't get done in 5 years (Scola was drafted by the Spurs in 2002). Scola's first contract with the Rockets was for 3 years, $9.5 million ($3.2m/year). Basically what the Spurs ended up paying Bonner.

Another tidbit, Scola thanked the Spurs FO for trading his rights when he was introduced as a member of the Rockets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember that in the summer of 2007 Scola wanted to be a starter and Spurs couldn't promise that.
    This is some BS rumor, tbh... IIRC, Scola wasn't even starting in the Argentina NT back then...

He only started 39 games for the Rockets in his 1st season too... he played all 82 games...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs lied about Scola to cover their asses. His buyout was not that high. He did not demand that high of a salary. He could have played alongside Duncan. Houston quickly bought him out and signed him for about the same as the Spurs gave Bonner.

Pop did not want to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is some BS rumor, tbh... IIRC, Scola wasn't even starting in the Argentina NT back then...
    Don't know about the other part but of course he was starting along with Oberto. IIRC that was about the time when he became Argentina NT captain. The other big men in the Argentina NT were/are scrubs.

BTW I didn't know it was such a big deal to bring him over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another tidbit, Scola thanked the Spurs FO for trading his rights when he was introduced as a member of the Rockets.
    Spurs drafted Splitter and they are very close friends. Scola by that time was fed up with the Spurs front office. I think part of the reason the Spurs finally gave in and traded Scola was to make nice and look good for Splitter who they would be trying to sign the next summer. Splitter knew all about Scola's issues with the Spurs.

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kwame Brown can get 7 million from the Warriors, somebidy is going to claim Scola for under 4 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know about the other part but of course he was starting along with Oberto. IIRC that was about the time when he became Argentina NT captain. The other big men in the Argentina NT were/are scrubs.

BTW I didn't know it was such a big deal to bring him over.
    IIRC, up to the 2006 Worlds, the starters were Oberto and Wolkowyski. Scola was the leading scorer, but was coming from the bench. For the 2007 FIBA Americas championship (played in Las Vegas), Scola started because Oberto didn't play (neither did Ginobili) and Wolkowyski retired. That was the tournament where he won MVP, and finished second behind Team USA. By that time, he was a Houston Rocket already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just wonder after all the that went down if scola would even want to be a spur?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just think some team will offer more than the vet min..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i just wonder after all the that went down if scola would even want to be a spur?!
    Maybe, maybe not. But last season it looked like he didn't want to be a Rocket, and given most of the teams that can bid on him are in that same class if not worse, I don't think his past issues with the Spurs are something that couldn't be overcome.

Really a matter of if he clears waivers or not.

Thread Information