Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

vanilla porker fans..

Manu is the teams best Guard.. and you expect some no name to be better than him?

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll use the floater same way that Bonner uses it.
    Which is effectively , but almost never. Why? Because Matt can only use it when he receives the ball near the basket with space ( rare ) or when he pumpfakes and drives (rare). If KA uses the floater 10 times a year because he can't get it off, we're back to Sq1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson:

A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting.

When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min.

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson with the Dirk Fade-Away move:

That's the "centerpiece" who has zero chance in stopping it!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson:

A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting.

When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min.

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing.
    I agree... he's got to be better that the pathetic percentages of CoJo.

For the record .200, .286, .316, .364 .... for four years... total .314.

Kyle Anderson, first year .273

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Manu part is sjust some trolling some I won't answer it but a tidbit about Anderson: A lot is made about Kyle Anderson slowness but the biggest worry about him is his lack of 3 point shooting. When you look back at the past decade, the following players were in the rotation at SG/SF: Bowen, Ginobili, Finley, Barry, Udoka, Mason, Jefferson, Bogans, Neal, Green, Leonard, Jackson and Belinelli. These 13 players were at least able to hit an open 3. To put a stat on it, they all made at least 1.3 3P per 40 min. Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot. So to make it work, KA will either need to see his work with Chip finally pay off or Pop will need to tweak a little his playbook to make it work with a non shooting wing.
    Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to get to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson can't defend???!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Carried by Kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even Austin rivers had a couple good plays last playoffs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.
    I'd rather have an over sized player in a position than an under sized player. I'd rather him develop an outside shot, then off the fake he can go inside. And as a SF he can still post up but can he absorb all that punishment given down in the paint on a nightly basis?

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd rather have an over sized player in a position than an under sized player. I'd rather him develop an outside shot, then off the fake he can go inside. And as a SF he can still post up but can he absorb all that punishment given down in the paint on a nightly basis?
    I'd rather the same thing. I just don't think he can ever be a successful wing on defense being that slow. His skillset lends more to a crafty 'point 4' than anything. IF he can get his 3ball working he can play like an older Pierce on offense, yes. Here's hoping.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to say, I actually like kyle hopefully he can show what hes capable this coming season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson will be a bigger piece of ---- than Manu by the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner's floater was surprisingly effective last season.

I disagree, KA against a much smaller defender can beat his man straight up. He did that consistently against a game against Portland. He in fact had Batum on him and beat him on a post up. He can't do it against bigger PFs, but he certainly can against smaller guards.

What's interesting is that both Anderson and Simmons can create their own shots.
    Only about 35% of Kyle's 2pt FGM his rookie year were assisted. I was surprised at this. He wasn't efficient obviously, and it is something he needs to continue to work on and has gotten better, but even as a rookie he generated most of his own FGM.

Pop used him in post ups in that Portland game and some shots he generated by himself. I remember in the triple OT game against Memphis he posted up Conley all the way from the 3 point line to the rim and finished with a drawn foul. His potential as a creator for others in the offense requires him to become more efficient and dangerous in generating his own shots, then he will be able to create for others. It is a tough development, but he needs NBA experience to develop further. He does have the potential.

We saw in the SL most of his shots were self generated as well, and he's a tricky cover as you mentioned. He's tall and long for a guy that can handle the basketball as he does, has a very high shot release, with a fadeaway to boot, and uses a lot of misdirection and changes of speed. I am rooting for him to succeed.

Also, his high BBIQ is shown in his defense. He, like Boris, is aware of what is going on and anticipates very well. You don't want to put him on the other team's best guy, but then you have a max player in Leonard for that. He will be better than Marco for sure. He can hold his own within a team defensive system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anderson is at 0.35 3P per 40 min in NBA, 0.65 in D-League and 0.57 in the
    last SL. As great as his SL was, it hasn't solved the question mark around his 3 point shot.

I think he needs to make at least the corner 3 at 37% and I think he can do that. The truth is he took very few (I am too lazy to look it up right now, but I recall somewhere around only 11 3s all year last year, as a result of so little playing opportunities). So that is an extremely small sample.

He took more in the D'league, but they are not from the corner. Austin rarely had him spotted up in a corner, since they relied on him for offense creation much like we saw in SL. His 3s came from the top and sides, very much like Diaw, and from those spots, I guess a 33% would be ok. That is what Diaw and a guy like Draymond Green shot from there. If he's used as a stretch 4 and spotted up in that area, 33% - 35% would be ok. He's unlikely to take them from there anyway. If he can be 37% from the corner he will be fine and I don't think there is a large enough sample to say whether his work with Chip has helped him in that area. He was 3 of 4 on shots from the corner. He is by no means a shooter, but I think he will be ok from the corners.

Here is his d'league shot chart:
    http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerSh...iewShots=false
    Last edited by SAGirl; 08-08-2015 at 12:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Which is why I see him as a 4, not a wing. A trickier, foul-drawing Diaw type player who uses his handles to get to his favorite spots and then uses a variety of unpredictable moves to make something happen. Most likely from the post.
    Yes! Maybe not next season, but his ultimate position is the 4. In the evolving NBA of "position-less basketball" Pop will find a way to use his skill set and hide his deficiencies. That's what Pop does. He will need to add some muscle, if not bulk, but he will be a valuable piece for the Spurs going forward. With his height/vision I think he will become a high post nightmare for opponents' defenses, facilitating wings and feeding LMA over the top in the low post and scoring from the mid-range.

Not so long ago there was no such thing as a "stretch 4". Who knows, the next thing may be the "point 4" with Boris as the prototype and KA as the developed model.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes! Maybe not next season, but his ultimate position is the 4. In the evolving NBA of "position-less basketball" Pop will find a way to use his skill set and hide his deficiencies. That's what Pop does. He will need to add some muscle, if not bulk, but he will be a valuable piece for the Spurs going forward. With his height/vision I think he will become a high post nightmare for opponents' defenses, facilitating wings and feeding LMA over the top in the low post and scoring from the mid-range.

Not so long ago there was no such thing as a "stretch 4". Who knows, the next thing may be the "point 4" with Boris as the prototype and KA as the developed model.
    The Point 4 is one of the most dangerous and toughest styles in BBall I think. Point 4 that can handle the BBall like Boris and Kyle are a nightmare. Draymond Green kind of has evolved into a Point 4, assisting a lot of the shooters in GSW and pushing the ball ahead himself when he gets defensive rebounds. He's just not a threat to score from the post, and can't exploit mismatches. His strength is defense, some playmaking and some 3s. At least at this point of his career, he's more limited offensively. An interesting Point 4 is Nikola Mirotic. I have not observed him much, but I did see him in a game against SA last year when Butler and Rose were injured (we won of course) and a lot of the offense went through him. He's a talented player and fun to watch as well. He couldn't handle the BBall like Kyle or Boris, but was very good for a guy his height.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he needs to make at least the corner 3 at 37% and I think he can do that. The truth is he took very few (I am too lazy to look it up right now, but I recall somewhere around only 11 3s all year last year, as a result of so little playing opportunities). So that is an extremely small sample.

He took more in the D'league, but they are not from the corner. Austin rarely had him spotted up in a corner, since they relied on him for offense creation much like we saw in SL. His 3s came from the top and sides, very much like Diaw, and from those spots, I guess a 33% would be ok. That is what Diaw and a guy like Draymond Green shot from there. If he's used as a stretch 4 and spotted up in that area, 33% - 35% would be ok. He's unlikely to take them from there anyway. If he can be 37% from the corner he will be fine and I don't think there is a large enough sample to say whether his work with Chip has helped him in that area. He was 3 of 4 on shots from the corner. He is by no means a shooter, but I think he will be ok from the corners.

Here is his d'league shot chart:
    http://stats.nbadleague.com/playerSh...iewShots=false
    It isn't that much about 3P% than the number of 3's taken.

In college Anderson took 96 3's for 670 FGA, In D-League it was 48 for 476 and in NBA it's 11 for 89. About 10%/15% of Anderson's shots are 3 pointers. Shooting 3's is a small part of his game while it's traditionally a big part of the game for Spurs' wing.

There is basically 2 solutions at that:
    - Trying to mold Anderson into the traditional Spurs wing by making 3's a bigger part of his game.
    - Tweaking the play calling to fit Anderson's skills. Basically, it meant putting the ball more in his hands instead of parking behind the 3 point line on a wing or a corner.

Like always, it will be a combination for both but I think the main focus will be to have a system adapted to Anderson's skillset. A reason why he dropped during the draft was that he is an atypical player that isn't the "plug and play" kind. If Spurs didn't plan to put him in a situation where he could potentially shine, they just shouldn't have drafted him. On the paper, Anderson's skills are a really nice fit with Spurs' second unit: there is a lot a ball movement with Ginobili/Diaw and Mills is a PG who is a great shooter but isn't a playmaker.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In college Anderson took 96 3's for 670 FGA, In D-League it was 48 for 476 and in NBA it's 11 for 89. About 10%/15% of Anderson's shots are 3 pointers. Shooting 3's is a small part of his game while it's traditionally a big part of the game for Spurs' wing.

- Trying to mold Anderson into the traditional Spurs wing by making 3's a bigger part of his game.
    - Tweaking the play calling to fit Anderson's skills. Basically, it meant putting the ball more in his hands instead of parking behind the 3 point line on a wing or a corner.

Like always, it will be a combination for both but I think the main focus will be to have a system adapted to Anderson's skillset. A reason why he dropped during the draft was that he is an atypical player that isn't the "plug and play" kind. If Spurs didn't plan to put him in a situation where he could potentially shine, they just shouldn't have drafted him. On the paper, Anderson's skills are a really nice fit with Spurs' second unit: there is a lot a ball movement with Ginobili/Diaw and Mills is a PG who is a great shooter but isn't a playmaker.
    Kyle Anderson is too damn slow to get off a corner three. He doesn't move well without the ball around the perimeter. I don't think the Spurs had him in mind to shoot a three, really. I think the Spurs are trying to get players on the bench to fit around KA though. Its interesting to see them grab at attacking wings/pgs. This goes with your #2 theory, which I think is why they picked up a shooter in Jimmer; put the ball in KA hands along with some attacking perimeter players. Time will tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You hit the nail on the head. There are good shooters in the draft every year, even in the second round. Guys like Anderson are very rare. A unique young playmaker and scorer for the second unit is a unique need for the spurs and to find a guy so special as to be a team player and unselfish passer is a continuous search. Anderson has to prove he can translate what he has done b4 into the NBA, but he is atypical. If you box him up in a corner, coach will not get the best our of him. Spurs like to post up and they had him do that every game. We are likely to see him shoot less, but we can kind of expect to see his floater in the lane, plays in transition, post ups, passing an the occasional 3. He is not a shooter but I hope he can get percentage like the ones I posted above for spacing. In his interviews he always mentioned defense, rebounding, passing an makin open shot as his contributions this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not at all!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That Manu dunk....talk about a comeback! Just completely badass. Love watching the bench! It's all they can do to stop from storming the floor!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You hit the nail on the head. There are good shooters in the draft every year, even in the second round. Guys like Anderson are very rare. A unique young playmaker and scorer for the second unit is a unique need for the spurs and to find a guy so special as to be a team player and unselfish passer is a continuous search. Anderson has to prove he can translate what he has done b4 into the NBA, but he is atypical. If you box him up in a corner, coach will not get the best our of him. Spurs like to post up and they had him do that every game. We are likely to see him shoot less, but we can kind of expect to see his floater in the lane, plays in transition, post ups, passing an the occasional 3. He is not a shooter but I hope he can get percentage like the ones I posted above for spacing. In his interviews he always mentioned defense, rebounding, passing an makin open shot as his contributions this season.
    Spurs avoid taking the long two (and encourage it for opponents). KL has two options (1) develop 3point short and (2) develop post up game (see Dirk Fadeway).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the spacing the second unit should have and Anderson's ability to play inside the arc, I think he'll be fine. I'm not worried about his three-point shooting, since we know he can hit an open jumper, and he's better at attacking a close-out than most Spurs. He's also good at driving, which is something the bench needs with Manu's age.

Pop's gonna have to figure how to use a bench with two jump-shooting bigs anyway. With Anderson and Simmons being the top two candidates for the final rotation spot, I think we'll see the backup three in the paint a lot more than they have been. Unless the offense is going to be built around Diaw post-ups, I don't think the wings will be taking a ton of threes anyway.

Thread Information