Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think nothing of the sort. I sometimes envy Christians their faith and think each of us should be left to seek comfort where possible.
    This. I don't envy the knee-jerk defensiveness, though.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It is when, where and in what spirit, I believe Darrin was making a point about. If there is an evergreen tree in the room; if there are lights on it. If the paper is, predominantly, green and red; if there are certain seasonal songs playing in the background, then, yes, those atheists are, in fact, not just exchanging gifts, but are taking part in the celebration of the birth of Emmanuel, the Messiah, the Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Redeemer and Savior, Jesus Christ.
    Not at all. Just because one uses the religious trappings doesn't mean one is committing fully to the ceremony. Does everyone who uses money believe that we are One Nation Under God? If I say, "God damn it" am I actually wishing God to damn something?

Christmas is, by and large, secular. The religious undertones are just that for most people, undertones. And considering that the tree AND Jesus supposed birthday were both Pagan traditions, I don't think Christianity has much of a claim on those things.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    This. I don't envy the knee-jerk defensiveness, though.
    Standard equipement with a belief system, imo.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Dude...thats some nasty stuff.
    Heathen! Fie on you! Burn the non-believer!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is when, where and in what spirit, I believe Darrin was making a point about. If there is an evergreen tree in the room; if there are lights on it. If the paper is, predominantly, green and red; if there are certain seasonal songs playing in the background, then, yes, those atheists are, in fact, not just exchanging gifts, but are taking part in the celebration of the birth of Emmanuel, the Messiah, the Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Redeemer and Savior, Jesus Christ.

If you, Chumpdumper, just happen to walk over to your parents house sometime in the next month and hand them a present, saying, "I thought you'd like this". Then you get a pass.
    It would seem that if someone was doing most of the things that you laid out, that they were celebrating the winter solstice. No?

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, I'm going to celebrate it like every other American... buying presents for my family and drinking eggnog.
    I'm not sure every American will be buying presents for their family and drinking eggnog this Christmas.

For instance, most Jews and Muslims probably won't be putting presents under the tree. Nor will militant atheists who would much prefer to rail against the reason for the season...

Which, if I'm not mistaken is the fundamental point of this thread.

But, like you, I will be exchanging gifts with friends and family and will probably go through a couple of fifths of whiskey while I fatten up on ed eggnog.

Incidentally, if I fail to judge their sentiments and accidentally gift a friend that does not share my enthusiasm for celebrating the birth of Christ, I will apologize and vow never to do it again.

Merry Christmas! God Bless us, everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are assuming I'm atheist.

I'd say you are the ignorant one today.
    I did in a post make that assumption; but in most of them, I am generalizing all atheists together. I am sorry for making the assumption, but I stand by my claims regarding atheists taking part in Christmas otherwise. If you are Christian, in any of its guises, than, obviously, you would not be included.

Also, understand, it does not in the least bother me that atheists celebrate Christmas. I will attend FOUR Christmas parties hosted by atheists this year. (college town)

they, btw, readily admit they are hypocrites.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Heathen! Fie on you! Burn the non-believer!
    I'd clean all the bathrooms in DFW with my tongue before chugging one glass of that nasty ass eggnog.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would seem that if someone was doing most of the things that you laid out, that they were celebrating the winter solstice. No?
    It's called CHRISTmas!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHH!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If atheists are giving gifts at Christmas -- in this over-commercialized environment that now starts before Thanksgiving -- they're participating in Christmas.

That doesn't make them Christians. In fact, it just may make them social creatures that want to be a part of a celebratory season, whatever the reason.
    Holy ? Who is this person posting reasonably under the name Yonivore?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's called CHRISTmas!

Thanks for having my back, Chump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it does not in the least bother me that atheists celebrate Christmas
    Well, there you go.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    If the Romans and Egyptians put a tree in during the winter, this is the first I've heard of it; so I could not have been partaking in that tradition; if that tradition evolved into the celebration that we now understand as Christmas - fine; but it's Christmas now.
    And the tradition has evolved to become mostly secular in America, about giving gifts and performing good deeds, neither of which are tied exclusively to religion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd clean all the bathrooms in DFW with my tongue before chugging one glass of that nasty ass eggnog.
    Try ing it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's called CHRISTmas!

a lot of people seem to think that syncretism is a in the armor when in fact it assisted the growth of Roman Catholicism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy ? Who is this person posting reasonably under the name Yonivore?
    It just seems like a silly argument to try and persuade an atheist he's somehow agreeing with the tenets of Christianity (and, thus, being hypocritical) by participating in a 45 day buy-and-give-fest we call Christmas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For what it's worth, I'm going to celebrate it like every other American... buying presents for my family and drinking eggnog.
    Jesus did like to get sloshed and play with the new Ipad.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    You're weak today.

I didn't know about the pagan traditions. Unless you are completely ignorant, you are well aware of Christmas.
    So wait, does that mean you are celebrating Pagan activities?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Romans and Egyptians put a tree in during the winter, this is the first I've heard of it;

Yeah it was a Yule tree, part of the pagan celebration. Not sure what they were celebrating, winter solstice perhaps. I believe the use of "christmas" trees was banned for most of christianity's existence. Very little of christmas traditions have anything to do with the birth of Christ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Had REAL Egg Nog last year; a guy made it at my New Year's party:

2 CUPS Whiskey
    2 CUPS Rum
    2 CUPS Cream
    2 Cups Half and Half
    Vanilla
    a Bunch of eggs (raw don't matter - this is jet fuel; the alcohol kills EVERYTHING)

have always hated egg nog- this stuff was great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude...thats some nasty stuff.
    Try Pulque, you will be begging for some eggnog, trust me.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It just seems like a silly argument to try and persuade an atheist he's somehow agreeing with the tenets of Christianity (and, thus, being hypocritical) by participating in a 45 day buy-and-give-fest we call Christmas.
    Yoni gets it perfectly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it was a Yule tree, part of the pagan celebration. Not sure what they were celebrating, winter solstice perhaps. I believe the use of "christmas" trees was banned for most of christianity's existence. Very little of christmas traditions have anything to do with the birth of Christ.
    Including the date...which is generally believed to have been in the Spring, I believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yoni gets it perfectly.
    Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, there you go.
    It apparently bothers them, however, that I think they are taking part in it.

Thread Information