Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If you still want incandescent bulbs, you can still buy what are called "rough service" bulbs. They are exempt from the ban.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/r...e-light-bulbs/
    Looks like the rough service 100 watt tops out at 880 lumens. That's a 60 watt equivalent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you still want incandescent bulbs, you can still buy what are called "rough service" bulbs. They are exempt from the ban.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/r...e-light-bulbs/
    Do you want me to explain the "new power plants" remark or not? Did you figure it out?

This lunch time is up, but I will still be happy to give you one, if you haven't glommed on yet. It is worth knowing, and is relevant to the topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mandating that incandescents be replaced is cheaper than building and fueling new power plants because it flattens or reduces demand for electricity.

Economic and population growth are a constant, at least in the US, and that means increases in the amount of demanded electricity. Slowing that down means that we have to build fewer new plants for the additional capacity required.

Does that explain it for you? I can expand on that if you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...eenagers-sleep

Sort of relevant bit in the news:
    Modern life, though, is confusing for the pineal because its signal to start work is the absence of light—specifically, of blue light. This part of the spectrum radiates by the bucketful from light-emitting diodes in the screens of phones, tablets and laptop computers. As far as the gland is concerned, that turns night into day. Study after study has suggested night-time use of screen-based gadgets has a bad effect on peoples’ sleep. Indeed, things are getting worse as screens get smaller and are thus held closer to the eyes. As a consequence there is a tidy market in devices and apps which regulate the amount of blue light a screen emits.
    The latest research suggests one group of people—teenagers—may be particularly susceptible.
    Speciality LEDs are available:

https://definitydigital.com/File%20L...tion_sheet.pdf

$70 a pop though.

Given the importance of sleep to brain/heart health, it would seem that plunking down the money is worthwhile, over conventional LEDs. Might buy some lamps for just such purposes.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Mandating that incandescents be replaced is cheaper than building and fueling new power plants because it flattens or reduces demand for electricity.

Economic and population growth are a constant, at least in the US, and that means increases in the amount of demanded electricity. Slowing that down means that we have to build fewer new plants for the additional capacity required.

It's a drop in the bucket, but yes. Has a minimal effect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Residential lighting is a small percentage of residential electrical use, but I guess going after incandescent bulbs was low-hanging fruit.

If they wanted a really massive drop in electrical demand, they'd improve residential heating/cooling efficiency and efficiency of large appliances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "improve residential heating/cooling efficiency and efficiency of large appliances."

these are already subject to local and federal programs, eg, Energy Star.

I got tax rebates for my additional attic insulation and for reflective foil. made a huge difference in HVAC.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one area where energy is wasted, like nuke plants wasted per year, is "vampire" devices, like cable boxes, gadget chargers, etc, etc.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    one area where energy is wasted, like nuke plants wasted per year, is "vampire" devices, like cable boxes, gadget chargers, etc, etc.
    I agree.

Everyone is making these small plug in transformers, and the on/off is on the devise they power. They are always using power!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Residential lighting is a small percentage of residential electrical use, but I guess going after incandescent bulbs was low-hanging fruit.

If they wanted a really massive drop in electrical demand, they'd improve residential heating/cooling efficiency and efficiency of large appliances.
    I agree, although I would not know how much lighting really is as a percentage of residential use.

(edit)

Until of course I research it, because getting actual facts is a good thing.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 05-18-2015 at 05:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a drop in the bucket, but yes. Has a minimal effect.
    How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2014, about 412 billion kilowatthours (kWh) of electricity were used for lighting by the residential sector and the commercial sector in the United States. This was about 15% of the total electricity consumed by both of these sectors and about 11% of total U.S. electricity consumption.
    Bit more than a "Drop".

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=99&t=3

Residential lighting consumption was about 150 billion kWh or about 14% of total residential electricity consumption.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    How much electricity is used for lighting in the United States?

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2014, about 412 billion kilowatthours (kWh) of electricity were used for lighting by the residential sector and the commercial sector in the United States. This was about 15% of the total electricity consumed by both of these sectors and about 11% of total U.S. electricity consumption.
    Bit more than a "Drop".

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=99&t=3
    By 2014, very little lighting was filament bulbs, most has gone to florescent.

A 1600 lumen florescent uses 23 watts, and 18 watts in an LED. So we reduce that 11% to about 8.6%.

A 900 lumen florescent uses 13 watts, and 9.5 watts in an LED. So we reduce that 11% to about 8%.

I guess 3% is significant enough....

Whoop-t-do though...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A 1600 lumen florescent uses 23 watts, and 18 watts in an LED. So we reduce that 11% to about 8.6%.

A 900 lumen florescent uses 13 watts, and 9.5 watts in an LED. So we reduce that 11% to about 8%.

Whoop-t-do though...
    What do you mean by "most" and when did that change happen?

Was that change whoop-t-do? What do you consider whoop-t-do worthy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whoop-t-do though...
    (winces)

Please quantify "very little", with something approaching actual data. "we" prefer not to pull made up statistics out of our ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Whoop-t-do though...
    Even accepting your bull made up statistic:

There are about 19,243 individual generators with nameplate generation capacities of at least 1 megawatt (MW) at about 7,304 operational power plants in the United States. A power plant may have one or more generators, and some generators may use more than one type of fuel.Apr 2, 2015
    http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=65&t=2

3% of 19243 is 577 generators.

That is a lot of power plants.

If the real figure is closer to 5 or 10%, then you have thousands of generators powering inefficient light bulbs.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    If anyone is interested:

http://superefficient.org/LightingAwards

International winners are Nanoleaf and Cree.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never have I been more wrong than in this thread.

Walmart's Great Value brand LED bulbs (60W equivalent) are cheap and excellent replacement for most of your indoor lights. I'm replacing every single one in the house. Get the soft white and NOT the daylight (too harsh, IMO).

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Walmart's Great Value brand LED bulbs (60W equivalent) are cheap and excellent replacement for most of your indoor lights. I'm replacing every single one in the house. Get the soft white and NOT the daylight (too harsh, IMO).
    I haven't tried those ones. I pretty much stuck with the Cree brand.

I looked online and see the Great value are about half the price of the Cree, but one reason i never bough that style was they have the area near the base covered.

Besides, more USA labor goes into the Cree. I try to buy "Made in the USA" products only. The Cree are at least are "Assembled in the USA." many of Cree's other products are "Made in the USA."

So call me a snob, but I'll stick with Cree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been shopping for LED car headlight bulbs. I find some for $150+ (with huge heatsinks) and some for under $20 (no heatsink). anybody have experience with the cheaper ones?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I've been shopping for LED car headlight bulbs. I find some for $150+ (with huge heatsinks) and some for under $20 (no heatsink). anybody have experience with the cheaper ones?
    No experience, but don't trust the rated equivalency. Make sure you compare the lumen output.

Not sure what the lumens should be. Probably around 800 for the low beams and 1200 or more for the high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this should be your sig, applies to every thread you've ever posted in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    down here the council gives them out in exchange for ur ty lights

wtf does it costs 50bucks in the states?
    They were prett expensive when they first came out. Very affordable now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't tried those ones. I pretty much stuck with the Cree brand.

I looked online and see the Great value are about half the price of the Cree, but one reason i never bough that style was they have the area near the base covered.

Besides, more USA labor goes into the Cree. I try to buy "Made in the USA" products only. The Cree are at least are "Assembled in the USA." many of Cree's other products are "Made in the USA."

So call me a snob, but I'll stick with Cree.

In a lamp, those Walmart bulbs look just like a regular incandescent.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    In a lamp, those Walmart bulbs look just like a regular incandescent.
    Maybe they do. But for a couple bux more each, I'll buy USA.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I haven't heard anything good about the cheap ones. I've been looking for some for my pickup. The truck forum dudes really hate on the cheap ones. .. last about 6 months. I think it's one of those "You get what you pay for" deals.

Thread Information