Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My least favorite Spur. He's a chucker and an empty stat player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My least favorite Spur. He's a chucker and an empty stat player.
    That's basically the description of Keldon lol if they both learned their roles and put egos aside I could see both of them being good players tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's basically the description of Keldon lol if they both learned their roles and put egos aside I could see both of them being good players tbh
    I agree Keldon is in the same mold. I feel Devin's ceiling is being an Alan Houston type of player at best. Keldon could end up being a good sixth man but both I don't think either of them will be able to put aside their egos and learn how to be team players.
    Last edited by daslicer; 02-10-2024 at 01:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baby steps. I like both Devin and Keldon to find Wemby. But, also I want them to develop their individual games as go to scorers - scoring at will, and not necessarily defer to Wemby. It’s easy to say pass to Wemby. But first be offensive threats to suck the defense off Wemby. I think when Wemby gets NBA strong the ball will find him more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Vassell and Keldon not to defer to Wemby, you need first Vassell or Keldon to defer to Wemby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For Vassell and Keldon not to defer to Wemby, you need first Vassell or Keldon to defer to Wemby
    Wax on wax off, don’t forget to breathe

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wax on wax off, don’t forget to breathe
    I’m not the one getting all nervous going ad hominem each time someone doesn’t share my pov…

I guess you’re projecting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto away game was a massive showcase for Wemby, but it was a blowout as much because of Vassell. It seems lately like he's understanding when to call his own number and the value of scoring in bunches, how vital that is instead of just getting shots passively. I'd love to see him get over 30 in a game. Maybe this would have been if it wasn't a blowout.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's doing well. Didn't know he was a Kobe fanboy, but I'd rather him chuck shots and learn how to take and make bad shots early in his career so that he can reign it in in the team setting later on. Every great team needs that end-of-shot clock bail-out guy and Vassell's well on his way to becoming one for the spurs. His rim finishing and passing accuracy are actually pretty underrated, consistently >2 AST:TO and finishing an elite percentage at the rim, he just doesn't do enough of either yet. Would like to see the defense and consistency continue to improve. If we can get DeRozan with good defense and a legitimate 3 point shot, that's a great player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's doing well. Didn't know he was a Kobe fanboy, but I'd rather him chuck shots and learn how to take and make bad shots early in his career so that he can reign it in in the team setting later on. Every great team needs that end-of-shot clock bail-out guy and Vassell's well on his way to becoming one for the spurs. His rim finishing and passing accuracy are actually pretty underrated, consistently >2 AST:TO and finishing an elite percentage at the rim, he just doesn't do enough of either yet. Would like to see the defense and consistency continue to improve. If we can get DeRozan with good defense and a legitimate 3 point shot, that's a great player.
    Good stuff. He's felt really passive to me, content to get his shots slowly in the midst of larger action, leading the team to significant dry spells. Dropping 23 in a quarter this last week was significant. Becoming not simply a general threat but a very specific danger to defenses. I don't really doubt this is what the staff has been building toward, how to read the landscape of a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been really good since that little mini-slump he had. Hopefully he keeps it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell shot a lot more catch-and-shoot 3s in this game. They even ran the hammer play for him. This is exactly what I mean when I'm saying he's more of an offball shooter. Once we have better PG play, there won't be as much chucking and he'll get higher quality shots. Meanwhile let him develop his game further.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im seeing a Manu Ginobili inlufuence to his game. On the drives , creation and the passing.

That behind back pass at 6.15 to Wemby dunk. Very Manu like..

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner touched on it. DVs improvement on drives where he holds it like a running back making it hard to get stripped is a Manu Ginobili trait. Also when attacking he uses his body to get separation then falls back for a lay up is reminiscent of Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Toronto away game was a massive showcase for Wemby, but it was a blowout as much because of Vassell. It seems lately like he's understanding when to call his own number and the value of scoring in bunches, how vital that is instead of just getting shots passively. I'd love to see him get over 30 in a game. Maybe this would have been if it wasn't a blowout.
    DV seems to both be a front runner when we're up a bunch and also at the same time a stat padder when we're down bad. The whole team, actually.

Sucks how the team seems to go to for periods of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im seeing a Manu Ginobili inlufuence to his game. On the drives , creation and the passing.

That behind back pass at 6.15 to Wemby dunk. Very Manu like..
    That was sick.

Didn't someone miss Wemby a few plays earlier when he had his man backed all the way down? Was it DV? Someone took a 3 instead.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last 15 Games 22.2 PPG with shooting splits of 50/40/80. 4FTA and 4.6 AST.

Wemby on a similar 22.4 with shooting splits of 49/39/82. 5FTA and 3.6 AST.
    Last edited by rankingtear; 02-14-2024 at 06:09 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last 15 Games 22.2 PPG with shooting splits of 50/40/80.
    The only bright spot behind victor and he could do better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Synergy playtype numbers :

Isolation: 80.8 percentile
    PNR Handler: 83.4
    Transition: 73.7

Spot up: 72.1
    Handoff : 47.9 ( 5th in possesions per game )
    Cuts : 96.1
    Off Screen : 32.3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember checking a while ago and seeing DV was averaging a totally piss poor 2.8 assists. Pathetic for a lead guard with the ball in his hands a lot. That's trended upwards now to 3.6 apg while his scoring hasn't taken a hit so he's going in the right direction I suppose.

But then you look at games the other week. The play was drawn up for Wemby and Vassell took and missed the final shot and we lost the game. In the post game interview he just said something like yeah the play was drawn up for Wemby but I saw the shot so took the shot myself.

4 years on and I still don't know what to think about Vassell. But as dude said above last 15 games 22.2 on 50/40/80 so it is what it is. Still needs to improve D and play making.

On a side note it's weird seeing these young guys like DV and KJ talking about being leaders and stuff. They're young and immature. Too young and immature to be good leaders yet but theyre all we have. Hope the Spurs bring in some veteran presence in the next few years when we're getting in a position to contend again.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a point guard to dominate the ball and take control, and to be actually able to score of course. Then at that point I hope that Devin and KJ can play off ball more and not hero as much.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Keldon is in the same mold. I feel Devin's ceiling is being an Alan Houston type of player at best. Keldon could end up being a good sixth man but both I don't think either of them will be able to put aside their egos and learn how to be team players.
    Houston was a 2 time all star and all round stud in the 2000s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need a point guard to dominate the ball and take control, and to be actually able to score of course. Then at that point I hope that Devin and KJ can play off ball more and not hero as much.
    Pretty much the opposite of what the Spurs have done since AJ retired.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much the opposite of what the Spurs have done since AJ retired.
    And yet, could still be helpful on this team in particular where we need someone to pass and score, so that the secondary players fit into a role that is appropriate.

Thread Information