Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    regardless lakers don't get any better.

The real point is Lakers lost because of their ty bench and Kobe's new role as bag of of the team. Getting Dwight won't change those 2 factors one bit.
    Heat made the Finals with most the same issues and Spo as the coach ...along with a menatlly fragile Lebron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, the Lakers FO is obsessed with upgrading the defense this offseason. I wish the Spurs FO would share that obsession.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Personally, if the choice is one big for a PG or two for a center I would choose PG, TBH. We already have 3 solid bigs, though dwight is way better than any of them.

LOl at those both LAker fans and haters dismissing Dwight. Dude is a 3x DPOY, has already carried a good though not great team to the Finals

...give him Kobe and Pau or Odom he will get back to an NBA finals ...

And i could care less if it affects Kobe's legacy? Kobe is one of my favorites, but his individual legacy. he gets another ring who cares if Dwight was needed to get him it?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Personally, if the choice is one big for a PG or two for a center I would choose PG, TBH. We already have 3 solid bigs, though dwight is way better than any of them.

LOl at those both LAker fans and haters dismissing Dwight. Dude is a 3x DPOY, has already carried a good though not great team to the Finals

...give him Kobe and Pau or Odom he will get back to an NBA finals ...

And i could care less if it affects Kobe's legacy? Kobe is one of my favorites, but his individual legacy. he gets another ring who cares if Dwight was needed to get him it?
    Kobe/Odom/Dwight and who else exactly? They'd have the same problem as Miami did, except for making the Finals.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    or a big man has always needed Kobe...Shaq before Kobe no rings...Gasol before Kobe 0-12 .......
    Exactly. Shaq already had a 1st team all-NBA guard before Kobe and he couldn't get a ring with him. Not until he joined forces with Kobe was he able to do it. Gasol was 0 for 12 in the playoffs before he joined Kobe but Gasol is the reason they won?

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Exactly. Shaq already had a 1st team all-NBA guard before Kobe and he couldn't get a ring with him. Not until he joined forces with Kobe was he able to do it. Gasol was 0 for 12 in the playoffs before he joined Kobe but Gasol is the reason they won?
    No one was beating that 95 Rockets team, to which Shaq matched Hakeem pretty well. Try to quit being such a ing re

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe/Odom/Dwight and who else exactly? They'd have the same problem as Miami did, except for making the Finals.
    Meh, I would take my chances with that core. Miami is just a few 4th quarter collapses fom a le with no big close to Dwight ...Sue Lebron and wade are younger and more dynamic than Kobe, but even Wade is not as "proven".

If they could trade Odom and Bynum ... i make that trade. Even though Lamar has more "stones" than Pau, Gasol is the better player.

A lineup of:

C Howard
    PF Pau
    SF Artest
    SG Kobe
    PG TBD ...

has a chance at a le ...might not be enough to win ... as the Lakers with Kobe, Shaq GP and malone proved... and last year's Heat did as well. But you take that gamble when talent the caliber of Dwight become available. I doubt this happens but you are lying if you say the though doesnt make you nervous.

And Dwight is just a long-shot possibility. Remember, LA is a proven franchise and Los angeles a dream locale. We may not get Dwight but we attract superstars: Wilt, Shaq etc. if we dont draft or trade for them: Magic, worthy, Kobe etc.

It's only a matter of time. Will we win another with Kobe? right now, that appears doubtful ... but possible. If we get Dwight I likw our chances more but that is no promise either. But a declining Kobe, soft Pau and Dwight is not far behind the Mavs or heat and that is all that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Odom IS their bench

WTF

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    No one was beating that 95 Rockets team, to which Shaq matched Hakeem pretty well. Try to quit being such a ing re
    It wasn't Shaq's fault they lost that series anyway. Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott pissed it away- especially Nick the Brick. Shaq played well enough.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Big men generally need an all-star guard to win championships rather than the other way around although all-star big men are generally more valuable than all-star guards (yes it sounds confusing). It's hard for big men to close games out, you can't always get the ball in their hands, they aren't usually good FT shooters, you can't tell them to go guard the other team's best scorer at the end of games. It's one of the reasons why I think Dirk is more valuable to a team as a franchise player than someone like KG, even though Dirk isn't really a guard. You can get it into Dirk's hands on the perimeter and let him go to work, while you will need another guard to take those "clutch" shots for KG.

I think someone should count how many championships have been one by a team with an all-star big but no all-star guards and vice-versa in the modern era (80s-now). I'd be curious to see how they compare. If someone wants to make a valid opposition to what I think I want to hear it. Just off the top of my head:

No All-star Big Men
    Jordans Bulls - 6 championships
    Detroit Pistons (late 80s) - 2 championships
    Detroit Pistons 2004 - 1 championship (although Sheed is a PF/C, he's not a traditional one)

No All-star Guards

*99, 2003 Spurs
    94 Rockets
    2011 Mavs? (although Dirk is essentially a guard in a PF's body)

I'm sure I left a few teams out but someone add some more.
    Last edited by Amaso; 06-20-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Rockets was the sixth seed, and Orlando was the first seed.

My Playlist > Yours Pistons < Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Probballdraft Probasketballdraft
    Lakers discussion with the Timberwolves have centered around the #2 pick for Lamar Odom. LO would not be a fan but could be flipped by MIN.

Lakers are having discussions with other teams as well about Odom. If Lakers acquire a pick in lotto for LO than it would likely be for a PG

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big men generally need an all-star guard to win championships rather than the other way around although all-star big men are generally more valuable than all-star guards (yes it sounds confusing). It's hard for big men to close games out, you can't always get the ball in their hands, they aren't usually good FT shooters, you can't tell them to go guard the other team's best scorer at the end of games. It's one of the reasons why I think Dirk is more valuable to a team as a franchise player than someone like KG, even though Dirk isn't really a guard. You can get it into Dirk's hands on the perimeter and let him go to work, while you will need another guard to take those "clutch" shots for KG.

I think someone should count how many championships have been one by a team with an all-star big but no all-star guards and vice-versa in the modern era (80s-now). I'd be curious to see how they compare. If someone wants to make a valid opposition to what I think I want to hear it. Just off the top of my head:

No All-star Big Men
    Jordans Bulls - 6 championships
    Detroit Pistons (late 80s) - 2 championships
    Detroit Pistons 2004 - 1 championship (although Sheed is a PF/C, he's not a traditional one)

No All-star Guards

99, 2003 Spurs
    94 Rockets
    2011 Mavs? (although Dirk is essentially a guard in a PF's body)

I'm sure I left a few teams out but someone add some more.
    Classic gnsf trying to subtly show the greatness of Tim Duncan...wait a sec it's a lakerfan.

DEEP in the Q
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Even if the Lakers get the #2 pick they won't nab the best PG in the draft. Would Knight or Walker be worth LO??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lamar is very solid and all, but if that's all it takes to nab Williams, they should have a lot of takers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Odom gets traded he has to promise he'll take that half-man, half-she male wife with him..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would prefer a straight up swap with Drew and Dwight.
    Then you could trade Luke Walton for that Lebron guy....

frodo
    odom been a solid but hes no bigger then a role player and hes well in his 30s too knows how much is left in his tank. bynum is a good player and is one of the best centers of the league now, but health has always been quite an issue for him and he's so ing damn young which makes it even worse.

Thread Information