Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UNT wasn't the best CUSA team that year, if they were they wouldn've won conference. Yall also got the bowl win against a ty UNLV team. Y'all had a good team though just not as great as you're making it seem. I went to that game in Denton and I was expecting a loss but UTSA put a beat down on them. Playcalling got conservative towards the end but UNT didn't do before that.

Anyways I say UNT is horrible bc they hadn't done anything in like a decade prior to '13 then went back to sucking last year. When you have a winning season every 10 yrs you're a ty program tbh.
    I was there, in 2 jackets -- one windbreaker and one leather jacket. It was too ing cold to go honestly, but one of my good friends from high school was a first chair trumpet for the UTSA marching band (the UTSA marching band's appearance honestly is part of what inspired UTSA to win) so I didn't want to miss hanging out and talking to him.

My frat (at the time) got kicked out for heckling the refs because there were some ty calls. It wasn't really a beatdown, but it was a cold windy day where offense didn't come easy and UNT especially just couldn't move the ball for whatever reason. And whenever they did, they got a ticky tack penalty that quashed the drive. IIRC, there was an especially bad call in the 4th in favor of UTSA that might have changed the outcome had it went differently. UTSA was lucky to have that loooooong drive in the 4th clinging to that tenuous one-score lead, if they punt they probably lose seriously.

Honestly, the only reason I went to UNT was to get away from EVERYONE in my high school for a "fresh start" -- and UNT was the only major public school where none of the 277 college-going students (56 public university students) out of my 610 student graduating class went. I certainly have my regrets about not going to A&M and triple rooming with my two best friends from HS, but it's whatever now.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In any given year, I don't think there are 16 teams that can realistically win it all. Maybe it's more than 8, but I think that's the minimum tbqh.
    No...but then again, the higher seeds in the NCAA BB Tourney don't have much of a shot either. It's more fun though. But for purposes of fairness, sixteen will be better. NCAA will pull some serious sh** otherwise.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    8 is a fair number. Power 5 conference champions + 3 discretionary spots, I think the rule should be to take the top 2 group of five teams every year + 1 wildcard power 5 team.
    If they did it purely by computer RPI-esque system, it would probably be fair enough. Never underestimate the powers that be in the NCAA though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was there, in 2 jackets -- one windbreaker and one leather jacket. It was too ing cold to go honestly, but one of my good friends from high school was a first chair trumpet for the UTSA marching band (the UTSA marching band's appearance honestly is part of what inspired UTSA to win) so I didn't want to miss hanging out and talking to him.

My frat (at the time) got kicked out for heckling the refs because there were some ty calls. It wasn't really a beatdown, but it was a cold windy day where offense didn't come easy and UNT especially just couldn't move the ball for whatever reason. And whenever they did, they got a ticky tack penalty that quashed the drive. IIRC, there was an especially bad call in the 4th in favor of UTSA that might have changed the outcome had it went differently. UTSA was lucky to have that loooooong drive in the 4th clinging to that tenuous one-score lead, if they punt they probably lose seriously.

Honestly, the only reason I went to UNT was to get away from EVERYONE in my high school for a "fresh start" -- and UNT was the only major public school where none of the 277 college-going students (56 public university students) out of my 610 student graduating class went. I certainly have my regrets about not going to A&M and triple rooming with my two best friends from HS, but it's whatever now.
    Sorry brah but it just sounds like a bunch of excuses. The weather did suck that day but UTSA had no problem moving the ball until playcalling got conservative late in the game. You can't really call a drive lucky either when they had been moving the chains all game. And it wasn't a 'weird' loss, UTSA finished 2nd in CUSA West (ahead of UNT) so we had a solid squad too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry brah but it just sounds like a bunch of excuses. The weather did suck that day but UTSA had no problem moving the ball until playcalling got conservative late in the game. You can't really call a drive lucky either when they had been moving the chains all game. And it wasn't a 'weird' loss, UTSA finished 2nd in CUSA West (ahead of UNT) so we had a solid squad too.
    if UNT had won that game, they would have finished 1st though

It was a "weird" loss because UNT had won 10 home games in a row, mostly in dominant fashion, and UTSA is a relatively new program. Kind of equivalent to the Spurs losing 10 in a row to the Milwaukee Bucks from the late 90s to the early 00s. Just saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if UNT had won that game, they would have finished 1st though

It was a "weird" loss because UNT had won 10 home games in a row, mostly in dominant fashion, and UTSA is a relatively new program. Kind of equivalent to the Spurs losing 10 in a row to the Milwaukee Bucks from the late 90s to the early 00s. Just saying
    And if UTSA would've won the Rice game they would've been first.

It's not really like that at all. UNT has been a ty program for the majority of the decade, the Spurs the best franchise in sports. The Bucks weren't on the Spurs level, UTSA was on UNT's level even if they were a new program.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And if UTSA would've won the Rice game they would've been first.

It's not really like that at all. UNT has been a ty program for the majority of the decade, the Spurs the best franchise in sports. The Bucks weren't on the Spurs level, UTSA was on UNT's level even if they were a new program.
    If UNT had beat UTSA, even if UTSA had beat Rice UNT would have had the tiebreaker. Also notice how UTSA lost to Rice while UNT stopped them 8 times in a row from the 1 yard line in a mauling. It wasn't black and white.

UNT has been a ty program because the student body is mostly made up of commuters and hipsters. Neither of which, really cares about football. The frat/sorority and athletic people (the "normal" college people) that actually care about the complete college experience rather than just academics or some bull liberal cause (and have school pride and are always around campus) comprise less than 5 percent of the student population. It sucks, but it's the truth. A&M is the best football program in the state and it's not close, and they have the highest frat/athletic proportion. Speaks for itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If UNT had beat UTSA, even if UTSA had beat Rice UNT would have had the tiebreaker. Also notice how UTSA lost to Rice while UNT stopped them 8 times in a row from the 1 yard line in a mauling. It wasn't black and white.

UNT has been a ty program because the student body is mostly made up of commuters and hipsters. Neither of which, really cares about football. The frat/sorority and athletic people (the "normal" college people) that actually care about the complete college experience rather than just academics or some bull liberal cause (and have school pride and are always around campus) comprise less than 5 percent of the student population. It sucks, but it's the truth. A&M is the best football program in the state and it's not close, and they have the highest frat/athletic proportion. Speaks for itself.
    Notice how UNT lost to Tulane and UTSA didn't. The point was that there are always'what ifs' for everyone. The reality is UTSA finished 2nd and UNT 3rd--that's the only thing that counts.

I agree the fan support is . Although from what I've heard alumni support is a bigger problem since UNT's season ticket sales are the worst in CUSA IIRC. Probably doesn't help to be next to DFW with TCU and the pro teams there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make it stop! Need my NBA fix

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Notice how UNT lost to Tulane and UTSA didn't. The point was that there are always'what ifs' for everyone. The reality is UTSA finished 2nd and UNT 3rd--that's the only thing that counts.

I agree the fan support is . Although from what I've heard alumni support is a bigger problem since UNT's season ticket sales are the worst in CUSA IIRC. Probably doesn't help to be next to DFW with TCU and the pro teams there.
    The Frogs and the Cowboys aren't the problem. You can enumerate plenty of examples of college teams that do just fine in terms of ratings (and consistent compe iveness) that are close in proximity to other big schools/pro teams. As I said, it's primarily the unique demographics of Denton which make Austin seem like a conservative hick town. UNT and Denton in general attracts radical hippie liberals that hate American sports (and pretty much everything else American) like buckets of month-old, freshly squeezed grape juice attract fruit flies. This demographic problem is pervasive and has been a central tenet of UNT since the 1980s, thus explaining the alumni problem. They don't give a , they just come to get a cheap art or hospitality or education or liberal science (Political Science) or communications arts degree, graduate and work below-average wage jobs while spending their free time dying their hair purple and green and fighting for GLBT or animal rights and smoking weed 24/7. Nobody gives a about football except the actual football team, and the 3% of the student body who actually chooses to participate in Greek Life (how dare they!)... with even a lot of the greeks leaving halfway through the game if the score isn't close one way or the other so they can get more booze or pussy.

Bottom line, I have serious cognitive dissonance about choosing UNT to go to college, and would have definitely gone to A&M if I had it all over again. From what I've seen, despite the difference in research money, UNT's academics (at least in business) are better than UT's overrated programs but not better than A&M's. A&M has the best academics and athletics in the state. Should have gone there and done petroleum engineering. Oh well, I'll be out of Denton this May and I plan to be starting my own business in a real city (analytics consulting, not a restaurant lol) and getting rich. No biggie long-term, just wish I would have had a better college experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cosign. Can't ing wait to see our full roster in spurs uniform in HD

Damn!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Frogs and the Cowboys aren't the problem. You can enumerate plenty of examples of college teams that do just fine in terms of ratings (and consistent compe iveness) that are close in proximity to other big schools/pro teams. As I said, it's primarily the unique demographics of Denton which make Austin seem like a conservative hick town. UNT and Denton in general attracts radical hippie liberals that hate American sports (and pretty much everything else American) like buckets of month-old, freshly squeezed grape juice attract fruit flies. This demographic problem is pervasive and has been a central tenet of UNT since the 1980s, thus explaining the alumni problem. They don't give a , they just come to get a cheap art or hospitality or education or liberal science (Political Science) or communications arts degree, graduate and work below-average wage jobs while spending their free time dying their hair purple and green and fighting for GLBT or animal rights and smoking weed 24/7. Nobody gives a about football except the actual football team, and the 3% of the student body who actually chooses to participate in Greek Life (how dare they!)... with even a lot of the greeks leaving halfway through the game if the score isn't close one way or the other so they can get more booze or pussy.

Bottom line, I have serious cognitive dissonance about choosing UNT to go to college, and would have definitely gone to A&M if I had it all over again. From what I've seen, despite the difference in research money, UNT's academics (at least in business) are better than UT's overrated programs but not better than A&M's. A&M has the best academics and athletics in the state. Should have gone there and done petroleum engineering. Oh well, I'll be out of Denton this May and I plan to be starting my own business in a real city (analytics consulting, not a restaurant lol) and getting rich. No biggie long-term, just wish I would have had a better college experience.
    I see what you're saying, Denton does try really hard to be all gy and hipster. You should still have pride in your school though otherwise you become part of the problem too. At the end of the day its still the school that's going to give you your degree and set you up for life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank god football season is almost upon is. It's not Spurs basketball, but its the next best thing, and it sure beats the out of re-watching all these old games, or worse yet... baseball .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see what you're saying, Denton does try really hard to be all gy and hipster. You should still have pride in your school though otherwise you become part of the problem too. At the end of the day its still the school that's going to give you your degree and set you up for life.
    Meh, the degree itself only matters if you want to work for someone else. If you want your own business, what you learned in the business and math (accounting/finance, stats, and economics; NOT calculus) classes is much more important, as well as your personal budgeting experiences while in college. I'm not a spender, and I don't eat every day when I'm up here (saves money that way). [When I go back home to my parent's house in SA, however, I eat 3000+ calories a day.]

I try to have pride in the football team, 2013 was worth it but in 2014 once they were 1-2 after losing the first home game against a mediocre team (LA Tech) I stopped really caring. Kind of like 2009/2010 as a Spurs fan. The thing that pisses me off the most about UNT is what they choose to spend their money on. Apogee Stadium here is the "greenest" college football stadium in the country, and they've been in the process of building the "greenest" new student union in the country as well since 2013 (that has set the project back about a year and cost an extra $30 million)... kind of pathetic that this is all the liberal gots who run this school care about, honestly...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beisbol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm ready for opening night. Thinking of buying season tickets this year. Need to find a friend to go half on with season tickets though. 41 games is alot of games to go to obviously.

Any season ticket holders on the site? Is it worth it to get season tickets in your opinion? 41 games is alot to go to. How do the season tickets work when playoffs roll around? You get first priority I am guessing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, the degree itself only matters if you want to work for someone else. If you want your own business, what you learned in the business and math (accounting/finance, stats, and economics; NOT calculus) classes is much more important, as well as your personal budgeting experiences while in college. I'm not a spender, and I don't eat every day when I'm up here (saves money that way). [When I go back home to my parent's house in SA, however, I eat 3000+ calories a day.]

I try to have pride in the football team, 2013 was worth it but in 2014 once they were 1-2 after losing the first home game against a mediocre team (LA Tech) I stopped really caring. Kind of like 2009/2010 as a Spurs fan. The thing that pisses me off the most about UNT is what they choose to spend their money on. Apogee Stadium here is the "greenest" college football stadium in the country, and they've been in the process of building the "greenest" new student union in the country as well since 2013 (that has set the project back about a year and cost an extra $30 million)... kind of pathetic that this is all the liberal gots who run this school care about, honestly...
    Either way what you learned in those classes was done at UNT, that should count for something. I hate when people graduate from one of the smaller unis but root for UT/A&M. As far as you having trouble rooting when things aren't going well, that would make you a fairweather fan which is only a small notch above bandwagon fan. La Tech won the West and a bowl game last yr btw so they weren't mediocre at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way what you learned in those classes was done at UNT, that should count for something. I hate when people graduate from one of the smaller unis but root for UT/A&M. As far as you having trouble rooting when things aren't going well, that would make you a fairweather fan which is only a small notch above bandwagon fan. La Tech won the West and a bowl game last yr btw so they weren't mediocre at all.
    I just lose interest, and being a "fairweather" fan is natural especially when you're a Spurs fan born in 1994 with the Memorial Day Miracle as your first significant memory of the Spurs. I hate elitists who think that one type of fan is inherently better than another. How we choose to live our lives is our prerogative, and think about it practically -- if your team sucks, would you rather mindlessly go cheer them on or hang out with friends and go bowling and get laid? If your team is winning and fighting for something big, however, do you then postpone the bowling/laser tag/alcohol/pussy and watch what could be a historical and awesome moment for your team?

For the record I've always liked A&M, but not UT. I still prefer UT over the gy SEC teams east of Texas that think they're the , though.

Thread Information