Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blair, Bonner, Neal, Belli and now Anderson

ST always starts off liking these type of players because they provide some specific offensive skill. Give it a couple years and yall will grow to hate KA's defense just as much as the other guys on the list. I don't think he'll ever be more than an end of the bench guy tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what Kyle Anderson is going to be, but trying to make final determinations after one redshirt year is the acme of foolishness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excited to see KA in the Summer League as the primary option. No Austin Daye to chuck up a horrible 7/28 every game, and Jeff Ayres fumbling his dimes.
    Ain't that the truth. Absurd that multi year veterans who had logged a decent amount of career minutes and even starts were plowing through heavy minutes and might have even led the summer league in mpg. Let the guys who didn't get NBA minute opportunities get a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey, i dno if you guys have seen this video before, but its kyle anderson before being drafted talking about how much he admires the spurs and wants to play for them

Example of a old joke that hasn't been beaten to death.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that we are yet to sign a bakup SF and there are no talks about the FO looking for one makes me think that someone on the Surs Staff consider he might be a serviceable backup at least.
    If that is correct iŽll call it quits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hey, i dno if you guys have seen this video before, but its kyle anderson before being drafted talking about how much he admires the spurs and wants to play for them

Gee, me too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Excited to see KA in the Summer League as the primary option. No Austin Daye to chuck up a horrible 7/28 every game, and Jeff Ayres fumbling his dimes.
    what kinda lineup has Anderson and Diaw? and is that Anderson getting an and 1 on the Spurs free Agent wet dream?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year's draft was the draft of the decade, but, even so, the Spurs had only 20 players graded out as first rounders, per RC Buford. Kyle was one of them, yet they got him at 30. Spurs obviously didn't think he'd be there, either, so he was in good company.

If you look at his stats from December when he was getting rotational minutes, they jump off the page at you. He shot 50%, way better than his seasonal FG%. He was never going to get rookie minutes, other than covering for Kawhi's injury time, on a team defending it's le. He will this year, and he will produce. He didn't just go to the d-league, he crushed it there with 21.5ppg/8.7r/4.8a/2.0st/1.5bl, exactly what you want to see from an assigned player.

Just looking at the guy and the way he plays you can see his is an exceptional player and high IQ. He has great low post moves, he can dribble, finish and pass. I know he is slow but so are guys like Diaw, Pierce and Andre Miller and they've all had good careers. On this team where he is in a system that fits his style he can really excel.
    He is the only reason I look to the summer league as I hope Pop gives him the same opportunity he gave Kawhi run the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just looking at the guy and the way he plays you can see his is an exceptional player and high IQ. He has great low post moves, he can dribble, finish and pass. I know he is slow but so are guys like Diaw, Pierce and Andre Miller and they've all had good careers. On this team where he is in a system that fits his style he can really excel.
    He is the only reason I look to the summer league as I hope Pop gives him the same opportunity he gave Kawhi run the offense.
    apo call u dumbass

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    But in terms of offensive ability he is a better low post scorer, better dribbler, and passer than Kawhi.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what kinda lineup has Anderson and Diaw? and is that Anderson getting an and 1 on the Spurs free Agent wet dream?
    Warriors won't see those two coming (nvm they probably will ) if they try that small ball tbh

Yup that's him

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does this leave anderson? If I were the gm I would give him the max now. He will simultaneously win 6th man and league mvp this year. You know that some experts say this is magic without the aids? I'm stunned he went to college tbh. Should have been #1 pick right out of high school. That sa front office. How did they get every team to pass on future goat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His shooting was awful last season and his confidence got so bad he was afraid to shoot, thereafter.

I think that will correct itself if he can get comfortable and confident.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does this leave Kyle Anderson? Good question. Been trying to come up with a comparable player.

I think the Spurs hire Chris Mullin as a speed coach to teach him how to survive in the current NBA as a fast walker. Of course Mullin survived because he was a great natural shooter from the get go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some assorted takes:

GSH [/COLOR]I think he's got the talent to stick in the NBA. Not a star, but a solid contributor. But only if he makes an effort to scratch and claw, and not take time off during games. I don't blame Pop for kicking his ass.[COLOR=#000000]
    He'll be competing for minutes this year. Let's see what he does with the opportunity. My last memory of him was when he got chased down from behind and had his shot blocked on a potential break away.
    He was a rookie on a team that had just won a championship, and brought back its roster intact - except for his slot. What did you expect?

I think he's exactly what I said. He's got enough talent to make a contribution to an NBA team, which is more than most human beings could claim. But a guy with his lack of athleticism is going to have to want it worse, and put out the extra effort every minute. My concern from watching him was that he just falls asleep, or takes plays off, or whatever you want to call it. Too many times, he's totally out of the action on the floor, just being a spectator. If he doesn't get a reputation as a hustle guy, he's doomed. So far, he's doomed. Hopefully Pop's ass-chewing will convince him to pick it up.

He's on the second year of his rookie scale, and nobody is lining up to trade for him, so he's not going anywhere. If he works like a madman, he'll show up with 11-12 MPG as a backup. If he doesn't, he'll be looking to join the last Anderson the Spurs drafted in Lithuania.

BTW - that missed breakaway that got dunked from behind? That wasn't a result of being slow. That was a result of loafing down the court, thinking no one would hustle to challenge him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does this leave Kyle Anderson? Good question. Been trying to come up with a comparable player.

I think the Spurs hire Chris Mullin as a speed coach to teach him how to survive in the current NBA as a fast walker. Of course Mullin survived because he was a great natural shooter from the get go.
    If I'm not mistaken he's coaching St. Johns in NYC. I don't see where he'd find the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe Mark Jackson would be a good addition to the Spurs coaching tree. A preacher with tons of experience. and Kyle Andersons game should be pretty similar to Jacksons, maybe he could offer some pointers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Anderson can make a sop re jump the Spurs would be well set at the 3 and able to easily play small ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW - that missed breakaway that got dunked from behind? That wasn't a result of being slow. That was a result of loafing down the court, thinking no one would hustle to challenge him.
    Agree with everything you said - even the loafing down the court. That's inexcusable for anyone at this level - especially a rookie trying to earn minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay SpursTalk prognosticators, the reg season approaches.
    What's it gonna be?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Think he's going to fit in and with Manu and Diaw will be a part of a passing smorgasborg on the second unit. Will he score? He's got to do his share but it'll come in weird and creative ways, wonder if he'll have the same knack for getting to the free throw line like in spring. But scorings not going to be alot, his value will come from filling the stat sheet evenly. He's got to earn respect and trust on the defensive side too. That maybe most of all his concentrtion should be. I think he will average 6.5pts/4ast/6rebs and play better than we thought defense.

In theory he could fit in great in the second unit because other than KA, rebounding is light and Patty is definitely a scoring PG so could get some ball handling duty, especially if he gets the rebound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago. He's shown a lot of improvement...particularly he's impressed me with his serviceable defense. I've never really doubted his ability to be a decent offensive player, but I was worried he'd be an absolute liability on the other end. Seems like that might not end up being the case.

I have questions about his fit on this current bench (specifically, whether he can make an impact without the ball in his hands since he'll play alongside Manu), but overall I'm pretty happy with his development and am excited to see what he can do this year/going forward.

I still would like to see him develop more of a 3-point shot though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago. He's shown a lot of improvement...particularly he's impressed me with his serviceable defense. I've never really doubted his ability to be a decent offensive player, but I was worried he'd be an absolute liability on the other end. Seems like that might not end up being the case.

I have questions about his fit on this current bench (specifically, whether he can make an impact without the ball in his hands since he'll play alongside Manu), but overall I'm pretty happy with his development and am excited to see what he can do this year/going forward.

I still would like to see him develop more of a 3-point shot though.
    Well said. If Kyle gets a decent 3 he'll really be deadly.

I think, in a way, he may be Manu's heir on the second team as the main playmaker. It is well-known that Patty is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. We can get away with playing Patty because Manu in effect is the backup point guard. Someday, the role of point forward will effectively be Kyle's much like it was in Summer League.

For now, we get to watch Boris, Manu, Kyle and West all play together. Their BBall IQs are through the roof. And I like the chemistry KA has developed with Boban and would like to see them paired together more often. It seems like Pop is trying to find minutes for KA and it looks like that may even cut into West's time. (A lineup of Manu, Patty, KA, Boris, and Boban is a possibility) but it is KA's playmaking ability rather than Boban's that is pushing West out a bit.

As you said, Kyle's developments on defense have been surprisingly strong. He's using his length effectively. He's never going to be a Kawhi or Danny like defender out on the perimeter but if he's just serviceable we can use him. He's already a better defender than Beli was.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago...
    I agree. Compared to last season, his game is more polished and therefore his confidence. It shows that he's a hard worker. His floater and drives are consistent and although slow, are calculated always staying under control. I hope his game continues to flourish as he gets more and more minutes. This bench needs that greatly. More in the near future when key pieces are no longer with the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems like Pop is trying to find minutes for KA and it looks like that may even cut into West's time. (A lineup of Manu, Patty, KA, Boris, and Boban is a possibility) but it is KA's playmaking ability rather than Boban's that is pushing West out a bit.
    It will be interesting moving forward, bc a lot of benches and teams are playing perimeter styles, and West is not particularly good against them. He's not much of a rim protector or a fast guy, and he's certainly not a perimeter 4, which is why Pop is playing him as a 5. Boris, despite his size, comes out to guard guys on the perimeter on switches, and is surprisingly agile for his weight. He's also a really smart player and knows where to be, when to switch, etc.

Against perimeter based benches, Kyle at the 4 has been the best. He has size to bother all the small lineups and has handled switches fearlessly. He is too big for all these perimeter guards to deal with on the other end, and if he had the mind to force the issue, would be drawing all sort of fouls like in SL. I don't think Pop wants him to force the issue, bc they want to develop his decision making since his passing ability is what could really make him special. The point is that with Kyle at the 4 you need a real rim protector next to him, and TD, LMA and Boban have all been in successful lineups with Kyle. West not so much.

Thread Information