View Poll Results: Abortion Restriction (Federal)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ban all abortions (life begins at conception)

0 0%
  • 5-15 Weeks

1 16.67%
  • 15-25 Weeks

4 66.67%
  • 25-35 Weeks

1 16.67%
  • No restriction on abortion, up to (or just after) birth

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    using the statistic that only 1% of all abortions happening after 20 weeks to somehow claim elective late term abortions are a real epidemic we need to address and not just a right wing boogeyman used to justify draconian abortion laws
    I said nothing about it being an epidemic but it probably happens. I gave the numbers. I already said I agree with a reasonable limit with exceptions for the mothers life. Who are you arguing with?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I didn't say that. I gave the numbers. I already said I agree with a reasonable limit with exceptions for the mothers life. Who are you arguing with?
    So we agree that late term abortions aren’t a real issue and they’re just a right wing boogeyman then. Great!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we agree that late term abortions aren’t a real issue and they’re just a right wing boogeyman then. Great!
    I said nothing about it being an epidemic but it probably happens. Personally I think killing even one viable baby as an elective procedure is wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said nothing about it being an epidemic but it probably happens. Personally I think killing even one viable baby as an elective procedure is wrong.
    What if they learn after viability it’s got Down syndrome

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CC

That's a start, CC. And as you get closer to the end of your life, CC, you'll expand that "think," loudly, and very Personally so that no mistake, or, misstep is made and so that He hears you THEN.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Don't murder the child, 21. You know that without being told. Stop running and face it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In my childhood the Einstein/Manson fork was often proffered, arguing backward from the result. That point of view seems roughly as arbitrary and implausible to me now (age 56) as it did then (~1975).

People do the best they can for their own families, afaik educational services for people with Down's syndrome were somewhat available in Texas 15 years ago, I have no idea what it's like now.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    In my childhood the Einstein/Manson fork was often proffered, arguing backward from the result. That point of view seems roughly as arbitrary and implausible to me now (age 56) as it did then (~1975).

People do the best they can for their own families, afaik educational services for people with Down's syndrome were somewhat available in Texas 15 years ago, I have no idea what it's like now.
    ...I'll just bet you don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas doesn't have the greatest track record of public accessibility overall, let alone with its special education function.

I would assume nonprofits are stepping in, they probably were then.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Texas doesn't have the greatest track record of public accessibility overall, let alone with its special education function.

I would assume nonprofits are stepping in, they probably were then.
    Still trying to flip Texas I see, Winester.

Chop/chop, son.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also you can try as hard as you want to both sides this issue by claiming no abortion restrictions is equally as extreme as forcing a 13 year old rape victim to carry her rapist’s baby to term, but we both know it’s a ridiculous false equivalence and your side is just going to keep losing elections as long as it parrots the bull “Democrats are the real abortion extremists!” narrative.

No one other than habitual Fox News viewers buys it.
    they're both extremist and both potentially homicidal since those teen pregnant rape victims who are forced to carry to term almost always end up depressed and either go full thug or end up killing themselves.

Anything but a common sense moderate solution is wrong and extremist.

Ask the resident scientist Will Hunting on this , but generally experienced prenatal doctors can tell trisomy conditions well back into the first trimester.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    they're both extremist and both potentially homicidal since those teen pregnant rape victims who are forced to carry to term almost always end up depressed and either go full thug or end up killing themselves.

Anything but a common sense moderate solution is wrong and extremist.

Ask the resident scientist Will Hunting on this , but generally experienced prenatal doctors can tell trisomy conditions well back into the first trimester.
    21 hid his till Trump tromped Hillary.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that case, why can't democrats agree on a reasonable time limit on abortions? there are extremists on both sides...Some Republicans want zero abortions period, some democrats want zero restrictions on abortion. Thats why the Senate will never get 60 Senators to agree on anything to do with abortion and it will always be state by state after this.
    What is extreme about zero restrictions on abortion? Any restriction is ultimately the state stepping in to override the recommendation of a doctor and someone carrying their baby inside of them. Complications can happen even at 30+ weeks that make a birth nonviable, or even dangerous to the mother. Do you really think the doctor and mother should have to get approval from Ken Paxton's people on whether or not it's okay to terminate the pregnancy or risk criminal punishment? How is that humane?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is extreme about zero restrictions on abortion? Any restriction is ultimately the state stepping in to override the recommendation of a doctor and someone carrying their baby inside of them. Complications can happen even at 30+ weeks that make a birth nonviable, or even dangerous to the mother. Do you really think the doctor and mother should have to get approval from Ken Paxton's people on whether or not it's okay to terminate the pregnancy or risk criminal punishment? How is that humane?
    No, but they should have to sign a legal affidavit with date of abortion, best medically estimated date of conception, and proof and specific details regarding the pregnant woman's medical condition and the fetus's condition of non-viability that required termination of the pregnancy -and- termination of the life of the post-21 week fetus, if applicable. If the fetus's life ended in the womb, this fact and the specific medical condition that caused this must be do ented and detailed in the affidavit. All facts must be included and the do ent must be signed by a doctor under penalty of perjury and potential loss of license to practice medicine if they are found guilty of lying.

I'm not pro-more paperwork, big government, or large amounts of red tape, but this is a human life we're talking about, and it is a fair compromise with reasonable conservatives like CosmicCowboy (not the "life begins at conception" evangelicals; they're hopeless).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they should have to sign a legal affidavit with date of abortion, best medically estimated date of conception, and proof and specific details regarding the pregnant woman's medical condition and the fetus's condition of non-viability that required termination of the pregnancy -and- termination of the life of the post-21 week fetus, if applicable. If the fetus's life ended in the womb, this fact and the specific medical condition that caused this must be do ented and detailed in the affidavit. All facts must be included and the do ent must be signed by a doctor under penalty of perjury and potential loss of license to practice medicine if they are found guilty of lying.

I'm not pro-more paperwork, big government, or large amounts of red tape
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More paperwork, big government and red tape bad except in case of very distressing and time-sensitive health decisions.*

*Applies only to women.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More paperwork, big government and red tape bad except in case of when viable human life is on the line, the person in subject is a non-US citizen, or a convicted violent felon.
    FIFY.

I'm as pro-choice of a conservative as you're going to get without being an independent/third party voter.

I believe in 21 weeks and limited states' rights, however the 10th amendment applying to abortion but not gay marriage is pretty silly.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still trying to flip Texas I see, Winester.

Chop/chop, son.
    will never happen, state party is too competent and cheats for the GOP as a last resort, like the Dems in NY/CA/IL. it is what it is.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Abort.

The disabilities will end!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ohio's 21 week limit is reasonable. It will always be state by state though.
    It shouldn't be though. That's exactly what Roe/Casey was, a compromise between what states want vs what women and her doctor decide is best. Now only what the states want matters, which is not a compromise by any means.

Also, the limit is heavily dependent on various conditions. If a fetus dies inside the mother after 21 weeks, is 21 weeks a reasonable limit? It's more complicated than that.

The biggest problem is that those that want to place the limits and rules are both largely men and in 99% of the cases driven by religious bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It shouldn't be though. That's exactly what Roe/Casey was, a compromise between what states want vs what women and her doctor decide is best. Now only what the states want matters, which is not a compromise by any means.

Also, the limit is heavily dependent on various conditions. If a fetus dies inside the mother after 21 weeks, is 21 weeks a reasonable limit? It's more complicated than that.

The biggest problem is that those that want to place the limits and rules are both largely men and in 99% of the cases driven by religious bull .
    You are talking about the exceptions. I'm fine with those.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the whole premise of looking at abortions as a supply issue and not a demand issue is why we dont get anywhere

its not a matter of why its legal at what point. the more poignant question is why do people need abortions at those stages.

people have to get early term abortions often because they failed to use contraception, used it incorrectly, or in a fringe minority of cases, they used it properly and it simply failed. its more important to figure out why we have such a high demand for abortions and how we can address that, rather than asking how we can legally limit people's ability to get them. do we have adequate sex ed? is contraception encouraged enough? should health insurance automatically provide for contraception?

and then same for later term abortions. why does anybody ever need abortions in those later months? is it because they didnt have basic levels of prenatal care? didnt detect the pregnancy until later because they have for sex ed? didnt get basic genetic screening done because of the cost, and only detected an issue later? then we should address those to make it so people dont get into that position nearly as often

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said nothing about it being an epidemic but it probably happens. I gave the numbers. I already said I agree with a reasonable limit with exceptions for the mothers life. Who are you arguing with?
    Only having exceptions for the mother's life is how we get laws like Texas has now where a woman has to be on the knife edge of death to get a medically necessary abortion since doctors here are scared less by the Texas GOP.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-09-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: fk me: misseplling

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    will never happen, state party is too competent and cheats for the GOP as a last resort, like the Dems in NY/CA/IL. it is what it is.
    UNT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are talking about the exceptions. I'm fine with those.
    It's just one example. We have religious zealots not only banning the procedure at any time, but also without exceptions. That's not a compromise.

Thread Information