Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the reference to nepotism and Wangebene refers to to his personal relationship to RC or one of the coaches, but it's worth a little more information.

1. Has this kid developed any 'game' anywhere or is this just a free vacation to Las Vegas with the family.

2. Do you think Jacque has orders to give him 'on court' time in every game (while other players get DNP)?

3. I don't guess any of it matters, but it just seems like a strange way to run a team.
    Wangmeme played a combined 32 seconds in the first 2 games. I see no reason to complain about it. RC made him a gift and he doesn't hurt at all Spurs since he basically doesn't play.

However, if Wangmeme starts to get significant playing time while obviously not deserving it, it will be another story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see Kawhi not playing today against the Clippers. A lot of Spurs plays were just to put the ball in his hands. It's not the best way to evaluate the other players.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ryan Richards getting the Splitter treatment tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    glad to see that I'm coming along
    Amazing how much better you look when you're not hunched over and shooting moon shots.

Seriously though, I have much praise for this kid because this significant development is a resul of his hard work and focus on improvement. Always good to see commitment from players pay off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Zeller C-
    Pitiful on defense. Invisible on the boards. Clumsy on offense. To his credit, the 6-foot-11 Luke Zeller did knock down three perimeter jumpers. But let's hope that the Spurs don't get a crazy idea like he should be considered for a spot in training camp.
    If you didn't have Zeller's name I'd be asking why Bonner is playing in the summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wangmeme played a combined 32 seconds in the first 2 games. I see no reason to complain about it. RC made him a gift and he doesn't hurt at all Spurs since he basically doesn't play.

However, if Wangmeme starts to get significant playing time while obviously not deserving it, it will be another story.

I'm mostly curious as to what progress this kid has made since coming over to the US and becoming a virtual ward of RC.

As I said, I know it doesn't really matter at 32 seconds a game, although some of the kids who don't get even 32 seconds per game might resent the nepotism. It's not a farce to them; It's their chance, maybe their only chance, to move forward in a tough profession. I mean, why not give the ball boys 32 seconds a game for all their hard work?

I think if his name was Slo or Popovich then more eyebrows would be raised about the issue, especially when the Spurs have a reputation for giving minutes only to those who deserve them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he meant offensively. And I was wondering did bruce Bowen played only sf? Or did he get major minutes at sg too?
    Offensively, Bowen was primarily a spot up shooting sf. Defensively, he could play 1-4 depending on match ups.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kl SHOULD be given the green card to do whatever he likes on the court

I’M A DAMN SPUR!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any reason Richards shouldn't be getting 30 minutes a game? Yeah, he probably sucks but he is a Spurs draft pick. Isn't this the time to see what he can do, how he responds from game to game? 3 minutes...really?
    Nice post. I'm lower on Richards than I was a couple of years ago but if he's going to fail hard I'd like for him to be given the opportunity to do so.

Bob Kelso is an awful man Dr Cox's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not saying he is but Corey Joseph reminds me of a slower young Tony Parker.

I really do like how he is using the pick and roll.

As always, the Leonard news is outstanding!

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    over the past two games, kawhi is averaging: 25 points on 52% shooting (19-36), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding is that summer league practices are pretty hard.
    1) The Spurs might be learning more having Ajinca and Richards play against each other in practice than they do in the games.
    2) Game playing time might be earned in practice.
    3) Since Leonard and Joseph seems to be the early focus, Zeller might be getting the playing time because he knows the system well enough for Leonard and Joseph to do their stuff. IOW, the Spurs don't need Ajinca and Richards getting in Leonard and Joseph's way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My understanding is that summer league practices are pretty hard.
    1) The Spurs might be learning more having Ajinca and Richards play against each other in practice than they do in the games.
    2) Game playing time might be earned in practice.
    3) Since Leonard and Joseph seems to be the early focus, Zeller might be getting the playing time because he knows the system well enough for Leonard and Joseph to do their stuff. IOW, the Spurs don't need Ajinca and Richards getting in Leonard and Joseph's way.
    Exactly.

Look at the starting line-up

Joseph
    Anderson
    Leonard
    Zeller
    Dawson

The 5 players with the most experience in the Spur system. Zeller's awful, but he can be counted on to stand in the right place on the floor when Joseph and Leonard run the plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not saying he is but Corey Joseph reminds me of a slower young Tony Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Zeller getting a lot of minutes is somewhat logical. Spurs SL roster is just plain awful at the C spot. Zeller is a bad player, Richards is way too raw and Ajinça doesn't even try. That's a dreadful trio of center.

At PF JaMychal Green has been really bad too. The only way Spurs SL could have a good frontcourt would be to pair Dawson with Wilkerson during 40mpg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luke Zeller is the summer league squad's Matt Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for these write ups L.J., I really appreciate them as I am not able to watch the games but would appreciate them even if I could.

I had high hopes for Anjica but it is beginning to sound like it may not be meant to be.

I am sure R.C. would like to pass along a "suck it" to Spurs Talk posters who have been trashing CoJo this past year, nice to see him developing.

Now let's hope Richards turns out similar....... In that I mean, he looks like a bust at first but then goes to the Toros and works on his game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's very hard tbh to see players drastically improve their game against D-League trash, that being said Ryan Richards is horrible & should never be invited to the SL team again.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any reason Richards shouldn't be getting 30 minutes a game? Yeah, he probably sucks but he is a Spurs draft pick. Isn't this the time to see what he can do, how he responds from game to game? 3 minutes...really?
    MFThis

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol probably sucks

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure be nice to find out for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, what the is the point if he's only going to get 3 minutes.

He needs to play hardcore minutes, their him into the fire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if they will continue letting Anderson get some burn. In this article they are giving him minutes because he's a good guy and they'd like to help him showcase in front of coaches at SL.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...SA%20-%20Spurs

Spurs are such a class operation. This is probably unprecedented treatment for a guy who you're cutting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "Zeller should start because he has experience" opinion makes some sense in theory but in reality the Spurs have sucked to open all four halves so far. Zeller gets steamrolled on defense and no one guards him on offense. His presence basically makes it impossible for Leonard or Joseph to do anything because it's 4 on 5. Once Zeller comes out, KL and CJ go off like clockwork.

Zeller doesn't stick out as a sore thumb as much when going against the bench players ... thus the reason he always does best in the 2nd and 4th quarters.

I can't think of a reason why Dawson and Wilkerson shouldn't start with the next big being Richards or Ajinca. 30, 30, 20 between those three would give the Spurs a much better idea of what they have then giving Zeller charity minutes, tbh.

From what I hear, Zeller is a great guy who they are already saying will be a future coach/GM ... but he wasn't good enough for college basketball and certainly isn't good enough in this level.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure be nice to find out for sure.
    I'm sure if Richards plays in the states this season, it will be in Austin. He sucks, but could get better.

Thread Information