Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How in the world did SGA got 2nd in MVP and carried thunder into 1st seed when his play style is just slightly better version of Derozan
    Fairness to SGA and OKC this is not their best game / Dallas is playing well. Doncic playing thru injury is admirable.

SGA has a triple double ffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How in the world did SGA got 2nd in MVP and carried thunder into 1st seed when his play style is just slightly better version of Derozan
    SGA is one of the best defensive guards in the league, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SGA is one of the best defensive guards in the league, tbh.
    Oh thats the difference between him and Derozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

20 seconds mark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if they won it all, what would be your take ? if no Gobert they would have won more easily ? smh

I'm not a Rudy fan but he had a great season, MIN investment has been largely rewarded
    Calling for an unknow future is irrelevant to the point. Works both ways, what if they don't, or don"t even ever make the Finals, what will be your take?

Let's first wait the end of that DEN series, and Let's time say if it was that great of a trade. If Ant is injured or struggling, MIN will badly miss that 3rd scoring star. But I noticed you carefully ignored the small difference in defensive rating with/without Gobert. Here's another one:

Spurs defensive rating with and without wembanyama: 116.7 / 119.6. (twice more than Rudy).

MIN coach first reaction when asked about Rudy's DPOTY was to say it was first the reflect of a collective effort and how dedicated to defense the whole team was, which also shows when Rudy's not on the floor. Sure Gobert may have helped instigating that mentality but considering MIN overall good team defense, wondering the benefits/deficit between Rudy or what you could have with all the assets he cost is indeed interesting.

And yes, spurs had a few good defensive games without Bowen or Duncan but none of them cost a haul of picks. Spurs actually got those 2 for free, which allowed them to keep and pay 2 other future HOFers in their prime (also cos they accepted to leave money on the table). But in a vacuum, imagine the question was Bowen or Manu + Brent Barry on the team.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 04:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And yes, spurs had a few good defensive games without Bowen or Duncan but none of them cost a haul of picks. Spurs actually got those 2 for free, which allowed them to keep and pay 2 other future HOFers in their prime (also cos they accepted to leave money on the table). But in a vacuum, imagine the question was Bowen or Manu + Brent Barry on the team.
    You used one game of Min vs. Denver without Rudy to back up an ideia that the DPOTY is not required on the defensive end. One game is not indicative of what Min is without Rudy. As for the what if, you started the game not me tbh..

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people using these defense ratings and other stats that they have no idea what they mean, need to start watching more games. I am pretty sure no one here watched more than 3 Minnesota regular season games, so your opinion is pretty much irrelevant... And whoever thinks Gobert is not really a great defender and is not helping the Wolves, or did not really deserve the award is re ed.... Also, there should't be players getting any awards, if their team is bellow 50%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You used one game of Min vs. Denver without Rudy to back up an ideia that the DPOTY is not required on the defensive end. One game is not indicative of what Min is without Rudy. As for the what if, you started the game not me tbh..
    Nope, I never did that, not even personnally mentioned that game. I believe you're confusing.

Quite the contrary, I used full seasons stats and overall considerations to explain, whether you agree or not, why it's interesting to wonder what this MIN team could be with the stars/elite role they could have instead of Gobert, considering their great team defense (once again praised by their coach) and Ant's emergence (which are the to main points, not that one game).

Do I believe Rudy is a difference between a ship or not for MIN? No, I probably don't. Do I believe having a star wing next to Ant and Kat, and a good (but not Rudy's level) defensive C instead would give them better chances...I might be wrong but possibly, yes. Rudy has his limits that has to put him on the bench in the clutch sometimes.

As far as "what if game", I was also precisely setting the debate, and wondering, not making definitive assumptions, or dropping the empty "what will you say if if they win!". We're in WCF semis, let's see what happens before drawing conclusions one way or another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people using these defense ratings and other stats that they have no idea what they mean, need to start watching more games. I am pretty sure no one here watched more than 3 Minnesota regular season games, so your opinion is pretty much irrelevant... And whoever thinks Gobert is not really a great defender and is not helping the Wolves, or did not really deserve the award is re ed.... Also, there should't be players getting any awards, if their team is bellow 50%.
    There's worth... People coming evey other day (or weeks for Brazil) to drop a couple aggressive, patronizing posts, not taking the time to really read other members posts, then make them say what they didn't by caricaturizing and insulting them (for you) to look smarter themselves.

Absolutely no one here was even close to say whay you're mentioning.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 08:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timberwolves are the worst franchise in NBA history, iirc, in terms of winning percentage. Great to see them really going hard.

And they have to go hard now. They're entering a salary cap of Phoenix Suns proportions after this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope, I never did that, not even personnally mentioned that game. I believe you're confusing.

Quite the contrary, I used full seasons stats and overall considerations to explain, whether you agree or not, why it's interesting to wonder what this MIN team could be with the stars/elite role they could have instead of Gobert, considering their great team defense (once again praised by their coach) and Ant's emergence (which are the to main points, not that one game).

Do I believe Rudy is a difference between a ship or not for MIN? No, I probably don't. Do I believe having a star wing next to Ant and Kat, and a good (but not Rudy's level) defensive C instead would give them better chances...I might be wrong but possibly, yes. Rudy has his limits that has to put him on the bench in the clutch sometimes.

As far as "what if game", I was also precisely setting the debate, and wondering, not making definitive assumptions, or dropping the empty "what will you say if if they win!". We're in WCF semis, let's see what happens before drawing conclusions one way or another.
    you replied to a post mentionning it and reinforcing the point. I believe you are low ballin' Rudy impact but that's your opinion I guess. MIN is on the rise of course thanks to Ant becoming a superstar, KAT being healthy.. but also thanks to Rudy making an impact, for the first time he seems to gel nicely with the roster, he is being praised by the organization.. he is the best defender on the best defensive team of the league nuff said

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timberwolves are the worst franchise in NBA history, iirc, in terms of winning percentage. Great to see them really going hard.

And they have to go hard now. They're entering a salary cap of Phoenix Suns proportions after this year.
    They'll keep this rotation for one more season, but after that they'll need to make some difficult decisions because both NAW and Naz Reid will get paid and Conley will be too old.
    For about a year my take was that KAT needs to go, but he completely changed his approach and has been great this season. Still, he's on a supermax as the third most important player on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's worth... People coming evey other day (or weeks for Brazil) to drop a couple aggressive, patronizing posts, not taking the time to really read other members posts, then make them say what they didn't by caricaturizing and insulting them (for you) to look smarter themselves.

Absolutely no one here was even close to say whay you're mentioning.
    wtf ? where did I make an aggressive or patronizing or insulting post on this topic ?

Own your stuff tbh... a dude posted, MIN does not need Rudy look at that particular game without Rudy, Denver only scored 80, you replied that's an interesting take... it is not an interesting take, it is a dumb take followed by another not interesting take about what ifs... MIN is successful, has a shot to a CF, gave up assets to recruit arguably the best defender of the league having his best season of his career, but but what if. smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they face Dallas in the WCF, they are gonna need Gobert, Mavs bigs are not all stars but they move well off the ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 years ago the Rockets lost their first two at home to Phx which led to the appletation Choke City.

Time for the the Nikola Jokic invitational to start anew tonight and repeat

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

20 seconds mark
    Wtf? lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they face Dallas in the WCF, they are gonna need Gobert, Mavs bigs are not all stars but they move well off the ball
    Yup they do, and it's interesting you noticing this. Let's put some more oil on the fire:

Considering Dallas got a young Lively with one FRP (their own) under a rookie contract, and MIN got Gobert for 5 FRPs and a swap under a max contract.... Genuinely asking ST highly educated community, what do what would be better for Dallas: Lively + Kyrie + a couple quality role players or... Gobert?

Contexts are obviously different, and the comparison what it is, but the point is, no matter how succesfull the Gobert trade will be (let's wait), 5 FPRS and a swap are still a whole lot for an offensively limited 30 y.o big, all top defenser Rudy is. And when you see Ant's rise to supers om (big reason MIN is here), and MIN overall great team defense, it's intriguing to imagine the possibilties you could have had with that huge haul of picks to improve the team differently, adding more talent and still finding quality bigs for cheaper.

MIN may just not have anticipated Edwards would be that good that early. Don't know what they would retrospectively do if they did back then when they pulled the trigger with Rudy. Ringing would make the question irrelevant or inaudible obsviously.
    Last edited by JPB; 1 Week Ago at 12:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

20 seconds mark
    Someone forgot to turn off their mic

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tatum is Michael Jordan of Tobias Harris-es might be the best analogy in a while.

He's clearly a tier below actual MVP level players and not having anyone to step up when it matters the most will probably cost Celtics the le...unless Derrick can carry, that is.

Kobe fan honoring his idol.
    Now imagine what will his shooting splits look like when they start playing against actual contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll keep this rotation for one more season, but after that they'll need to make some difficult decisions because both NAW and Naz Reid will get paid and Conley will be too old.
    For about a year my take was that KAT needs to go, but he completely changed his approach and has been great this season. Still, he's on a supermax as the third most important player on the roster.
    They may have to move KAT regardless. That's just a wild amount of money to pay a non-MVP or non-All NBA type player. Those supermaxes are devastating. I'm sure some team will take that kind of salary on for some reason.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They may have to move KAT regardless. That's just a wild amount of money to pay a non-MVP or non-All NBA type player. Those supermaxes are devastating. I'm sure some team will take that kind of salary on for some reason.
    Now look at Jaylen Brown's supermax, he can't even dribble with his left, lmao.
    I'd rather have KAT than Brown.

But yeah, supermax contracts ruin franchises.
    Max to supermax difference shouldn't count against the cap for players drafted by that franchise.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now look at Jaylen Brown's supermax, he can't even dribble with his left, lmao.
    I'd rather have KAT than Brown.

But yeah, supermax contracts ruin franchises.
    Max to supermax difference shouldn't count against the cap for players drafted by that franchise.
    I totally agree. Teams being forced to decide between the supermax and trading their low-end All-Star (due to that star being disgruntled by being offered less than the supermax) is the opposite of the incentive that the supermax was supposed to create.

Your solution is an elegant way to give both sides what they want: more money for the player and cap-managed control for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bud would be a fool or offered truck load of money to go to that clown circus.
    The Suns are throwing money at Bud

Sources: Agreement between Budenholzer, Suns expected soon

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean its a good hire by phoenix. they cant make many changes to that roster, so all they can really do is get a coach that can hopefully make a better product with the same ingredients as his predecessor, and from the available options, i dont think anybody comes close to Bud

do i think it will work? nah. Durant just had his healthiest season in a decade, played as many minutes as anybody in the NBA, and they still were a mid team who folded like a lawn chair in the playoffs. cant bank on that again as he continues to age. will be 36 when the season starts.

imo they run back this team at least 1 more year. if they get up to a top 4 seed or second/third round, then they'll run it back another time. but after that they will by necessity sell off kd and/or booker. if theyre smart, they keep bud around for that long haul

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indys bonehead plays are

Entertaining game for sure.

Thread Information