Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    there's a lot more at stake than 500,000 if we can't create regulations and a more responsible ecological culture ahead of the point of no return.
    If you believe that propaganda.
    My question is: if the climate is changing, whether due to manmade or naturally or WHATEVER, how will we adapt to that?
    It's been changing for all of known history, and all of history as shown to us by proxy data.

First of all, we will adapt. Second of all, we cannot change climate near as much as natural forces do. Worse case scenario, CO2 accounts for about 1/3 of the warning we have seen since 1700, or about 0.25 C.

If CO2 was the only short term climatic change we had, then I would be concerned. Solar output is the source or 99% or more of the earth's heat. If the temperature of the sun increased by 0.05%, then the radiation of the sun increases by 0.2%. Can we really expect the temperature of the sun to remain that stable? Temperature/heat calculations are done with the Kelvin scale. 0 Celsius = 273.15 Kelvin. Assuming the average temperature of 15 C, or 288 K, 0.2% is a 0.576 increase in temperature. Indications are that solar irradiation has increased by as much as 0.3%, which would be a 0.764 increase in temperature. Don't the experts say that the Earths temperature has increased bu 0.7 to 0.8 degrees since 1700?

We have solid evidence that solar irradiation has increased by at least 0.2% since 1700!

What are we suppose to do? Send a water hose to the sun?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    politics.

Bill Gates is on this with his weather controlling machine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    politics.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    WC, by changing, I meant, changing to a climate that will be inhospitable for us.

I'm more worried about our ability to adapt to widespread climate change than I am about the reason for such climate change. I doubt our ability to recover from raised sea levels and the like.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    politics.

Anything like the Stargate Atlantis episode where a climate cooling experiment went bad?

Brain Storm, 5th season episode 16:

Rodney McKay is invited to a landmark scientific presentation by an old rival from his school days. The device appears to be a solution to global warming, but then everything goes awry. Guest Stars include Dave Foley, playing Malcolm Tunney, with Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson playing themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WC, by changing, I meant, changing to a climate that will be inhospitable for us.

I'm more worried about our ability to adapt to widespread climate change than I am about the reason for such climate change. I doubt our ability to recover from raised sea levels and the like.

What kind of change would worry you more? Warming? Or cooling?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

As long as we have a means to produce enough energy, I don't see a problem as long as we stay in any historical levels... for warmth. If we were to go into an ice age, in time, there would likely be no way to combat glacier ice growth in areas like where I live.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Early IPCC model predictions are ALREADY WRONG. Why would anyone have faith in their predictions 30-50 years into the future?
    People predicting heavier than air flight by 1890 were wrong! Why would anyone have faith in their prections 30-50 years in the future?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ultimate Global Warming Challenge is now increased to a cool half-a-million. Since the science is settled on this, why hasn't anyone won the prize?
    Is there anyone who seriously thinks this is meant seriously?

Is there anyone who thinks that the guy offering the prize wouldn't try the slimmest of arguments to weasel out of this if seriously challenged?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    What kind of change would worry you more? Warming? Or cooling?
    Either or, I guess. Anything too far outside our norms to be able to handle easily. (I'm not a scientist... don't expect anything too technical.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JunkScience.com, in its sole discretion, will determine the winner, if any, from UGWC entries. All determinations made by JunkScience.com are final.

---------- uh huh.

No entries will be accepted after December 1, 2008.
    The results of the UGWC will be announced on February 1, 2009.

Meh. I would want them to prove to me that the money exists before I would spend any effort on it.

I could offer a million dollar prize today, if I never had to pony up the cash...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Is there anyone who seriously thinks this is meant seriously?

Is there anyone who thinks that the guy offering the prize wouldn't try the slimmest of arguments to weasel out of this if seriously challenged?
    How, the test is clearly spelled out. What legal maneuvers could be made if the criteria was proved?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No entries will be accepted after December 1, 2008.
    The results of the UGWC will be announced on February 1, 2009.
    I didn't realize the time had run out.

It was there.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The fight against global warming is an epic fail and lost cause. You're never going to get every human being on Earth to go green. And I guarantee you that you're not gonna get humans to give up their cars in the fight against global warming either. So why bother? And when you think about it, why do you care anyway? If global warming is as bad as Al Gore says it is, what will it matter in 50 to 10 years? You will probably be dead and won't have to worry about it. And why worry about something that is out of your control? I'm not saying that you should pollute or litter but you shouldn't freak out about all of this green stuff. Take your trash out, recycle if you can, don't waste electricity i.e. don't leave lights on in rooms that you're not occupying and don't turn your AC down in the 60s or 50s. Common sense.

Thread Information