Gavin Schmidt is an interesting pundit. He has a good scientific background, but does everything he can to propagate the myth of Anthropogenic Global Warming. He has his own site called Realclimate. He recently coauthored a paper with the data that proves that solar forces account for most of the global temperature changes, but manages to make them less meaningful. This article was just published today:

Solar trends and global warming

Now I will select a past work of Gavin's work for one item:

The Lure of Solar Forcing
The sun provides 99.998% of the energy to the Earth’s climate (the rest coming from geothermal heat sources).
OK, what does that means that if we have a 15 C global average temperature?

Let's start here. 15 C is 288.15 Kelvin (K). 99.998% means that the sun accounts for 288.144237 K of that temperature, and geothermal forces account for 0.005763 K. The Kelvin and Celsius scales both have the same slope. Kelvin simply equals Celsius + 273.15.

OK now, what percentage of change makes a 1 degree change in temperature... Small... 1/288 is a 0.35% change, so it takes about 1/3rd of 1% to make a 1 degree change in temperature.

I'll take numbers from today's Solar trends and global warming article.

What does this mean? Well, according to Gavin's own work, solar irradiance was 1365 or lower in 1900 and 1366 or higher in 2000. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is 0.073%. Enough to make a 0.21 C change in temperature. Now if we go to the claims since 1700, we start at 1363 for 1700 and go to just above 1366 for 2000. That's a 0.22% increase, or a 0.63 C increase.

Heat applied and measured temperature of any object is proportional, as long as it doesn't go through phase changes.

There are factors that change short term reading, but the claim of increased CO2 since the 1700's cannot account for our increased temperature when solar activity clearly accounts for at least 0.6 C of that change since 1700.

Keep in mind. It appears our solar activity has peaked. Most scientists agree (excluding bought and paid for climatologists) that we are now in a cooling phase for at least the next two decades.