Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diamantidis is the best Diamond in the World - NBA will see him in October but never like a player of the league.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spanoulis = MVP of Acropolis tournament in Athens against Italy, Lituania, Slovenia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spanoulis = MVP of Acropolis tournament in Athens against Italy, Lituania, Slovenia.
    wgaf

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    V-Span gave a new interview in a Greek newspaper where he talks about the Rockets, Van Gundy, Adelman, Yao, McGrady and other things as well:

You'll face Houston in a friendly game soon (11/10/2007), how does that make you feel?

I'll feel strange for sure, I was there for a year, many things happened. In the end though it's just a friendly game, it's about the team getting better and ready for the next season and that's where our focus will be. It's Rockets vs. Panathinaikos, not Rockets vs. Spanoulis.

Won't you feel like you have to prove something?

No, I'll do what I do in every game and that is play my best so that my team can win. It's not important for me if I play well or not as long as my team wins.

How would you describe the year you had in Houston?

Strange... it surely wasn't like I expected it. I left Greece with dreams but things didn't work out my way. But in basketball, as in life, you don't always get what you expect and in that case you have to make sure that you get something out of even a bad situation and I think I did get something out of this.

What do you think you gained?

It was an important experience for me. I had this dream to play in the NBA since I was a child. For better or worse, I've debunked it. I know now that all this advertising, all this fuss about the NBA is just a myth and nothing more. At least that's how it seems to me...

Was it different or harder than you expected?

No, not harder. Different. It was the difference that made it difficult for me. Different way of life, many games, hardly any training, an undisciplined way of playing and too much individualism, people care more about themselves than they do for the team. That kind of playing just doesn't work for me. Of course, I'm talking only about myself, I know that there are many other players who don't have a problem with that. And I should add that I'm refering solely to my experience with the Rockets; if I was in a team with a more "European" kind of mind-set maybe things would be different.

There has been a lot of talk about your negotations with the Rockets administration last summer, about the things they had promised to you and so on. What is the truth behind all that?

I had talked with the GM, Carroll Dawson. He had come to Athens to talk with me many times. I had already explained to him my mindset, my character, the role I want to assume in the teams I'm playing in. I had told him I wanted to be an active part of the team. I'm not saying that I expected to have the same role I had in Panathinaikos and Greece. I knew that I'd be a rookie with many things to learn, but I wanted to be sure I'd have some function in the team. He had assured me that things would be exactly as I wanted them, that they needed me a lot and that to them I was a player who would play many seasons in Houston and become a valuable player for the team. So after all that, and since the NBA was a childhood dream, I agreed to play there. But things turned out different.

What was the first shock for you?

It wasn't a matter of "shock". First of all I thought that there was contact between the GM and the coach but it turned out that they hadn't talked about me at all. Van Gundy doesn't usually play rookies or Euro players and I was both so it was difficult for me. I had done my homework of course, I knew Van Gundy's reputation beforehand so I spent a lot of time talking with the administration before I joined, telling them there was no way I'd go there unless I had an important role in the team. They managed to convince me that I wouldn't have any problem so I went there.

Your relationship with Van Gundy, things that he said, like that they got Tsakalidis so you could have someone to whine to, how much of all this was true?

In all my life I had the at ude of a man, fair and square. I never had any problem with a coach in my career. On the contrary, I have great respect for the role a coach has in a team. As a player, my job is to follow his instructions for the best of the team. It was just a matter of me and Van Gundy not having the same mindset. He would say one thing in front of me and then say something different behind my back. What you said about Tsakalidis really happened. After a training session he talked to me and said that he was very pleased with my improvement and that if I continued like that I was sure to find my role in the team. He said that I deserved to be in the NBA and that I would become an important player for the Rockets. He said he wanted us to end all our previous disputes. I told him that I respected him and that I would gladly forget all our problems so that we could have a good cooperation. That was two days before Jake signed. Once Jake signed, Van Gundy came out and said that thing about bringing him there so I could whine to him. Two days ago he told me that he didn't want to create any more problems between us and then he went and made a comment like that. I don't hold any grudge against him though, every person has his own quality and standards and I respect that.

Did he ever tell you "I don't see you as part of the team's rotation"?

Yes he did, in spring. He told me: "I don't know you as a player. You weren't my choice and I don't know how to use you. I don't know what kind of player you are, I don't know if you're a winner or a loser. I've seen a couple of DVDs of you playing but I can't form an opinion solely from that." During training, we almost never played against eachother (the players), so he couldn't see me in the court either. At least I had a very good relationship with the players, they were all great guys.

And with McGrady? Because that was written as well, that your relationship wasn't good.

I had a great relationship with Tracy. He believed in me, as did Yao. I respected all of them, because they treated me like an equal, despite all their years in the NBA. And in a very difficult year for me they managed to make me feel better.

Have you talked with any of them since you left Houston?

Yes, I've talked with Battier, Novak, Yao has called me once... I'll keep in touch with some of the guys because it's worth it, it's important to keep friendships like these active.

What about Adelman? Didn't his effort to get you to come back influence you at all?

No, it didn't influence me. I had already made my decision not to come back because NBA didn't fit me. I have great respect for Mr. Adelman and what he did was incredible. It's a very big honor for me that such a well-known, distinguished and experienced coach would call me and try to explain to me how much he wanted me in the team. I didn't expect that. It really surprised me, pleasantly of course. He treated me entirely different than Van Gundy. He knew a lot about me, he had watched many of my European games with Panathinaikos and Greece, he had even watched some of the training sessions at Houston and he told me he didn't understand at all why I didn't play last year. He told me that this year things would be different for me and that he had every intention to utilize me to my full potential. But I had already made my mind and I don't like changing my decisions once I take them.

With all due respect, doesn't that make you a little stubborn?

(Laughs) No, I'm not stubborn. I'm just a realist and I know what's better for me, I know what makes me happy and at this point that was coming back to Greece. Still, it was a privilege to get a phonecall from a coach of the calibre of Adelman and hear all those good things he had to say about me.

McGrady talked to Adelman and told him you should stay, and Morey said that your ability to penetrate is equal to McGrady's. Didn't all that praise make you even for one moment to reconsider your decision?

I thank them a lot for their praise. But I had made my decision. When you're in a situation where you don't feel good about yourself, you're not enjoying what you're doing, the best thing to do is to leave like a gentleman and with your honor intact and I think that's what I did.

Do you regret now that you went to the NBA?

I don't regret anything. I've never regreted a choice I made. I'm happy I made my childhood dream a reality, because if I hadn't, I would always have it in the back of my mind, that I had the chance to go to the NBA and didn't take it. I would always wonder what might have happened. Now I know myself better and I know which way and philosophy of playing suits me.

Would you ever return to the NBA?

The NBA is out of my mind now. I had a lot of time to think about it and I can honestly and with a cool head say that the way of playing and way of life just doesn't suit me.

So you wouldn't try it again?

No, no! I wouldn't because European basketball suits me better. I'm 100% sure of that now.

But if you had played more, wouldn't you change your mind? If all the things they had promised you were realised, wouldn't you stay?

I would stay but only in order to honor my contract. I'm not the kind of person who doesn't honor his contracts. I never left a team in the middle of the year. So I would probably stay all 3 years but then I would leave once my contract was over. It wasn't so much a matter of playing or not, it was a matter that I simply didn't enjoy my life there. I had a very bad time. I made some new friends, met some Greeks that helped me a lot, some good people to whom I'll be eternally grateful, but in the end it all comes down to the fact that the way of life there just doesn't suit me.
    Last edited by magic; 08-23-2007 at 10:37 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA is out of my mind now. I had a lot of time to think about it and I can honestly and with a cool head say that the way of playing and way of life just doesn't suit me.

So you wouldn't try it again?

No, no! I wouldn't because European basketball suits me better. I'm 100% sure of that now.
    So much for the idea that he might join the Spurs next year. Interesting that nowhere were the Spurs mentioned at all.

We had already decided that if I was to stay in the NBA, my brother would come and stay with us as well, despite that meaning that he would have to abandon his career in Greece. This just shows how strong the bond in my family is.
    kudos

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Well maybe the Spurs will have him in 2008.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe we'll get someone who wants to play in the NBA and has the ability to do so.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it was the wrong coach in the wrong place for him
    or
    the wrong coach (so stupid this coach man! ) in the wrong team.

Can't Start Threads Kill_Bill_Pana's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billy want me to say one last thing to fans of San Antonio here.

Spurs did want Billy and he was to intend to leave after this year from Greens of Athens as he has opt out after first year of his contract.

But Billy tell me Greens make his buyout very big to try to stop this from happening. Billy's agent sent copy of the buyout, which is $4.55 million in the USD money to Spurs front office.

When Spurs see this and since NBA team inform Billy's agent they can only pay $500,000 in the USD to the buyout, Billy realize that he would have to pay $4.05 million USD to the buyout.

So because of this Billy will play next 3 years in Greece. But he tell me that while he is saying to press he will not return to NBA, he say this mostly for Athens fans of Panathinaikos benefit and assurances.

He do intend to play in NBA after his 3 year contract is over, and he play with European style team. He now say he might possible still play with Rockets after he got another call from coach Adelman recently. Coach Adelman if he sign another contract with Houston would still like him. Billy and his agent finally decide only to play with European friendly teams in NBA.

Spurs, Mavs, Raptors, Suns, Rockets if Adelman still there only.

Billy would not play for Rockets this year or next year because he feel fans hate him, but after 3 years he say they forget.

So sorry guys but because Greens gives Billy huge buyout he has to stay. Greens did this because first time they signs Billy he has small buyout and Greens lose him to Rockets for almost nothing. This time they make sure this not happen with big contract buyout.

Billy understand just Rockets old coach that is so mean and biased and he feel in 3 years he be ready for NBA as starting point guard. He set goal to be undisputed top player in Europe and whole world outside NBA over next 3 years. He then signs MLE and starts in NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My heart weeps for Billy and the contract he failed to read.

Call us when he stops being such a colossal, whiny .

And when he gets good at NBA-type basketball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks. We don't play play European basketball here in San Antonio, WE PLAY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BASKETBALL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right on Mr. Body - read the damn contract before signing! After three years he wants to come over and play? At 33? Yeah that's gong to work real well. And who is going to fork over good maoney for him? Not many. Not at 33 and no NBA experience. See ya Billy!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right on Mr. Body - read the damn contract before signing! After three years he wants to come over and play? At 33? Yeah that's gong to work real well. And who is going to fork over good maoney for him? Not many. Not at 33 and no NBA experience. See ya Billy!
    he'll be 28 in 3 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In 3 years, he will be 28. Still not that young, but a big difference from 33.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, I'm too slow

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Well maybe the Spurs will have him in 2008.
    So much for getting him in 2008. Yeah maybe by then he'll have learned not to turn the ball over.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll wait to see how he changes his story next week.

Now I just think he's too stupid to be a Spur.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billy understand just Rockets old coach that is so mean and biased and he feel in 3 years he be ready for NBA as starting point guard. He set goal to be undisputed top player in Europe and whole world outside NBA over next 3 years. He then signs MLE and starts in NBA.
    Bench Parker, start V-Span !!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I thought I read were he was turning 30 this year and didn't check his bio. Sorry my mistake. Then if he is going to be 28 that changes things. But three years is a long time in sports and anything could happen. I though originally that he would be a good fit for us but family comes first. Table this for future consideration. Spurs need to make a decision on their 15th spot. Veteran for the short run or youth to develop.

Believe.
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Billie say..
    Billie say play Olympiakos..
    Billie say..me suck..
    Billie say..me no good NBA play..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sucks. We don't play play European basketball here in San Antonio, WE PLAY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BASKETBALL.
    World? World is in USA or USA is in the World? ...

Wait and see the 2 October games and then send your message again...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Centers
    Fabricio Oberto
    Francisco Elson
    Ian Mahinmi

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Robert Horry
    Matt Bonner

Small Forwards
    Bruce Bowen
    Michael Finley
    Ime Udoka

Shooting Guards
    Manu Ginobili
    Brent Barry
    Marcus Williams

Point Guards
    Tony Parker
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Jacque Vaughn

I could live with that.
    Could you still live with that, or is this year's version better?

PG
    Parker
    Hill
    Vaughn

SG
    Manu
    Mason
    Finley

SF
    Bruce
    Ime
    Hairston