Page 299 of 352 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 8783
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Free agency is a thing. They can get shooting there. They can also trade for it.
    Really? Haven't thought about that ...^^

We're talking probabilities here and drafting at least one player with shooting abilities makes a lot a sense when shooting was the primary weakness (with IQ and passing) of the team.

Drafting 2 non shooters has to be one of the lowest probability imo

2 new non shooters + Sochan + Tre = min 1/3 of the roster unable to shoot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Riascher projects as a high-end role player and Salaun has star upside, and they’re both similar players and even both French, why is one widely regarded as a top 5 pick and the other barely top 10?
    Because they aren't similar players.

The main difference between them is BBIQ. Behind that overused term, there are things like feel for the game, being smart, reading the game/opponents well, making the right play at the right time...

Risacher has an elite BBIQ. It is quite rare to see a player that advanced at this age. Stephon Castle is a also remarkable in that area and that's also why he is projected as high as he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know about Salaun. It's not so much that he's raw, he just looks stiff.
    He's not gonna be a first option on offense, but he has a chance to be a OG Onunuby type two way player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hawks were supposed to win the lottery in 2025, 2026, and 2027 dammit. Not in 2024!
    Just give them the pick back and get Dejunte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The main difference between them is BBIQ. Behind that overused term, there are things like feel for the game, being smart, reading the game/opponents well, making the right play at the right time...

Risacher has an elite BBIQ. It is quite rare to see a player that advanced at this age. Stephon Castle is a also remarkable in that area and that's also why he is projected as high as he is.
    Come on, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, Risacher is more unique prospect and talent, is more like a giant SG with his smothness and fluidity, could be something like 6'9" KCP

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Tiddy is the pick at 8. I don't hate it, don't love it either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Riascher projects as a high-end role player and Salaun has star upside, and they’re both similar players and even both French, why is one widely regarded as a top 5 pick and the other barely top 10?
    Because Risacher is expected to be a great 3 and D wing and those will always be much more valued than a low floor high ceiling 90% bust rate athletic wing

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Tiddy is the pick at 8. I don't hate it, don't love it either.
    Tbh, it's not a bad outcome long term.
    If PATFO gets Salaun, it would mean Wemby's camp had an influence.
    It would be great if he develops.
    If not, we wasted a #8 pick to show Wemby's camp that they shouldn't expcet the front office to draft or trade for his friends ever again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, it's not a bad outcome long term.
    If PATFO gets Salaun, it would mean Wemby's camp had an influence.
    It would be great if he develops.
    If not, we wasted a #8 pick to show Wemby's camp that they shouldn't expcet the front office to draft or trade for his friends ever again.
    Yeah, I like Salaun has a prospect so I'm not the most objective guy. I like the upside swing when you have 2 top 10 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those who aren't aware, he's a good friend with Victor wembanyama. Their sisters played ball together and they've known each other since I want to say 2017.For what little it's worth. Vic said he's never seen a player improve as much, as quickly, as Salune Did over the last 2 years And that he has a absolutely maniacal work ethic
    Which is good to know because the dude is so extremely damn raw
    I've had him as high as fourth on my big board at one point. And as low as 27th.
    Some games he just looks like someone who's a couple of years in an NBA system away from undoubtedly blowing up and becoming something special
    And in other games he looks like a giant middle schooler playing in a Dad coach league who barely knows what the heck he's doing.
    I think the Spurs connections are probably very real. Our gm has a very, not hidden, affection for long rangy jumbo guards/wings with theoretical ball skills.
    I think it would be one of a risk but I could see them even taking him 4 If does well in workouts. There's probably a good chance One of Castle/topic/ Shepherd/ dillingham Will still be there at 8 And they can still pick up a solid guard prospect while swinging for the moon with arguably the highest upside prospect in this class (Who also feels like he may have one of the highest chances of busting)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reason I would get the pick is if he really is this work-obsessed maniac who is in the gym for all hours of the day and night… which that’s what Victor said and according to duncan2150’s report. …these types should never be underestimated. The last workhorse we had was Nephew, tbh…
    I agree, but it brings the question of why he is so currently.. like wouldn't he have figured it out already?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I like Salaun has a prospect so I'm not the most objective guy. I like the upside swing when you have 2 top 10 picks.
    Right now I don't really trust PATFO because their recent drafts have been questionable, to say the least.
    But they surely know more than us.
    At the end of the day, I don't care who they draft, as long as it's a success.
    If we get one long-term starter out of these two picks, I'll be happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree, but it brings the question of why he is so currently.. like wouldn't he have figured it out already?
    He’s 18, and playing in a grown man’s league for the first time. When you jump up a level, there’s an adjustment period.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying that Saluan is a strong candidate in the 6-10 pick range for a while now. Becomes even more of a possibility now that the Spurs have two top 10 picks.

I have a strong feeling he's the pick at 8 with the only question being if he gets past the Blazers at #7.

Teams are going to fall in love with his theoretical upside especially if Aaron Gordon continues his strong postseason play (similar body/archetype).

He's 2 years away from being a contributor but I think the Spurs are fine with developing him after they cut bait on Wesley/Branham after next season tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been saying that Saluan is a strong candidate in the 6-10 pick range for a while now. Becomes even more of a possibility now that the Spurs have two top 10 picks.

I have a strong feeling he's the pick at 8 with the only question being if he gets past the Blazers at #7.

Teams are going to fall in love with his theoretical upside especially if Aaron Gordon continues his strong postseason play (similar body/archetype).

He's 2 years away from being a contributor but I think the Spurs are fine with developing him after they cut bait on Wesley/Branham after next season tbh.
    Why would you draft for theoretical upside? A team should take wild swings of the bat at upside when they have no franchise talent... or they have enough good talent and are already contending. We already have Wembanyama; we don't need theoretical anything. We need really good support players. If any of those support players become great, that's fantastic. Swinging on upside is great in the late lotto, not here, and not for us.

This is the worst time to get some guy just sitting his ass on the end of the bench (and Austin) taking up a roster spot for three years before he miiiiiiiight do anything. We have six lottery picks coming in the next three years. We have a different lottery pick this year.

Let's focus on actual players. Leave the theoretical players to those teams on theoretical timelines, lost in the mist of time, who don't know when they might strike gold. We didn't strike gold, we struck an atom bomb. We don't need a 5% chance at a good player in three years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would you draft for theoretical upside? A team should take wild swings of the bat at upside when they have no franchise talent... or they have enough good talent and are already contending. We already have Wembanyama; we don't need theoretical anything. We need really good support players. If any of those support players become great, that's fantastic. Swinging on upside is great in the late lotto, not here, and not for us.

This is the worst time to get some guy just sitting his ass on the end of the bench (and Austin) taking up a roster spot for three years before he miiiiiiiight do anything. We have six lottery picks coming in the next three years. We have a different lottery pick this year.

Let's focus on actual players. Leave the theoretical players to those teams on theoretical timelines, lost in the mist of time, who don't know when they might strike gold. We didn't strike gold, we struck an atom bomb. We don't need a 5% chance at a good player in three years.
    First of all, I fully agree with you that I'd rather have players who could contribute right away, but who are those players in this draft class?
    It's all theoretical upside.
    We need shooting, playmaking and perimeter defense. How many players in this draft are projected to be good in at least two of those?
    I'd honestly like to hear which players could start contributing right away, in your opinion.

There's Knecht, but he's just a shooter/scorer. Can't playmake and is a really bad defender.
    There's Dillingham who could be an offensive star, but is a big risk due to his size and even if he does become a 25ppg scoer, he'll undoubtedly be one of the worst defenders in the league.

Everyone else is a theoretical upside player. Shooters can't defend, defenders can't shoot. Playmakers like Topic can't do either.
    I guess bigs look to be safe picks, but we have our starting center.

The other issue is that there aren't any good players who are realistically available and fit the timeline.
    I mentioned Cade is my pipe dream, but he's not available and it's pointless to talk about him or someone similar.
    Not even the likes of Herb Jones or Naz Reid will be available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would go easy on Salaun. He's a end of first round pick on a good draft you take a flyer on.

It's always a bit annoying when the first thing everyone repeats about a prospect is "He's a hard worker, he'll improve". You can translate it by: Raw, limited, lot of work to do, which is true for Salaun who doesn't have star potential at all.

I like the kid but he's just not a natural, doesn't have that feel for the game like Zach does for example... He stands out a bit in the french league becasue of his physicality and agressivity but that won't be enough in the NBA to be probably more than a mid-bench player/3rd stringer, if he actually belongs. there's nothing about him you could say he's even just good at and could become his bread and butter in the NBA.

He's closer to Sidy Cissoko than Risacher, and if he can get 10-12 min/ game in the NBA on career, that would already be a great success imo. Smoke screen from the spurs if you ask me. they're probably not interested while they already have Sidy.
    Last edited by JPB; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:36 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First of all, I fully agree with you that I'd rather have players who could contribute right away, but who are those players in this draft class?
    It's all theoretical upside.
    We need shooting, playmaking and perimeter defense. How many players in this draft are projected to be good in at least two of those?
    I'd honestly like to hear which players could start contributing right away, in your opinion.
    Theoretical upside = a player who cannot contribute right away, anytime soon, and whose virtues are not exactly apparent. Theoretical.

Every other player discussed can contribute either right away or pretty soon with some success. Reed, Risacher, Clingan, Sarr, even Cody Williams, are going to be far more ready.

Ousmane Dieng is Salaun, Salaun is Ousmane Dieng. OKC picked Dieng late in the lottery, spending extra for him, and he was perhaps worse this year than last year. Salaun's production this year was really, really bad. He's not a good player. (Yes, he'll have a good game here or there, but what is needed is consistency.) He's not ready and you have to squint to see a possibility of readiness down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would go easy on Salaun. He's a end of first round pick on a good draft you take a flyer on.

It's always a bit annoying when the first thing everyone repeats about a prospect is "He's a hard worker, he'll improve". You can translate it by: Raw, limited, lot of work to do, which is true for Salaun who doesn't have star potential at all.

I like the kid but he's just not a natural, doesn't have that feel for the game like Zach does for example... He stands out a bit in the french league becasue of his physicality and agressivity but that won't be enough in the NBA to be probably more than a mid-bench player/3rd stringer, if he actually belongs. there's nothing about him you could say he's even just good at and could become his bread and butter in the NBA.

He's closer to Sidy Cissoko than Risacher, and if he can get 10-12 min/ game in the NBA on career, that would already be a great success imo. Smoke screen from the spurs if you ask me. they're probably not interested while they already have Sidy.
    When people talk upside in the NBA, they often mean the physical gifts are there but the player doesn't know how to play basketball. Then they hope the player can learn how to play basketball, but they never do.

It's like that Arrested Development meme: "People always think it will work for them, but it never does... but it might for us."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every other player discussed can contribute either right away or pretty soon with some success. Reed, Risacher, Clingan, Sarr, even Cody Williams, are going to be far more ready.
    We're not wasting top10 pick on a backup big.
    Reed will be a great shooter, but there's a chance he ends up being a Patty Mills. He's an undersized shooting guard. Can make some passes, but can't run an offense.
    Risacher? I'd also like him, but his shooting is not a sure thing.
    Sarr won't be there at #4.
    Cody Williams? Isn't every scouting report saying that he's too slow and unathletic?

Ousmane Dieng is Salaun, Salaun is Ousmane Dieng. OKC picked Dieng late in the lottery, spending extra for him, and he was perhaps worse this year than last year. Salaun's production this year was really, really bad. He's not a good player. (Yes, he'll have a good game here or there, but what is needed is consistency.) He's not ready and you have to squint to see a possibility of readiness down the road.
    I'm not saying Salaun would contribute more than Risacher or Williams, I'm just saying that none of them look like they'll be good enough to push Jeremy to the bench.

When people talk upside in the NBA, they often mean the physical gifts are there but the player doesn't know how to play basketball. Then they hope the player can learn how to play basketball, but they never do.
    I fully agree with this. That's why I mentioned Sekou Doumbouya yesterday.
    One of Risacher or Salaun will surely be the next Sekou Doumbouya.
    Long, French forward who never puts it together.

It's up to PATFO to decide who will be the best wing in this draft and get that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sorry if this has already been posted. Bodes well for us and that #4 spot tbh.
    Last edited by SpursFan86; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

Thread Information