Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be pleased with either Holland or Castle at 8, to go along with Matas or Risacher at 4

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him. I'd take him at 8.

A real defender on the Spurs. Wemby wouldn't be alone. Has some Kawhi in him. Spurs would no longer be a walk-over team. Wing defenders are rare.
    Last edited by SouthernFryd; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:22 AM.

from across the pond Anonymous Cowherd's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interestingly John Hollinger of the Athletic has Ron Holland as the top prospect in the draft

(2 Castle, 3 Clingan, 4 Sheppard, 5 Sarr, 6 Topic,
    7 Buzelis, 8 Dillingham. Risacher down at 13)

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interestingly John Hollinger of the Athletic has Ron Holland as the top prospect in the draft

(2 Castle, 3 Clingan, 4 Sheppard, 5 Sarr, 6 Topic,
    7 Buzelis, 8 Dillingham. Risacher down at 13)
    Yeah, this is why I am doubtful he will be available at 8

......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ron Holland was never going to slide past both Charlotte and Portland at 6 and 7, especially Portland who badly need a big wing. I can see Dilly sliding down to 8 if the Spurs skip him at 4 as I don’t think any of the 5-8 teams want a PG.

If the Spurs want Holland they’ll have to pick him at 4. There’s a good chance he’ll be there as I don’t think Hawks, Wiz or Rox will take him. Maybe the Wiz if they’re going purely upside but then there’s overlap with Coulibaly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be happy with Holland at #4 and Dilly at #8

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is chatter the Holland has questions about his character, and the Spurs usually steer clear of these players regardless of talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is chatter the Holland has questions about his character, and the Spurs usually steer clear of these players regardless of talent.
    Probably going to hear a lot of rumors 99% are just BS or stuff agents or teams are trying to sale to get the outcome they want..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pretty much team Holland at this point…

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the offensive highlights I've seen are in transition and opportunistic drives which is really just fine while he tries to work on his outside shot. His athleticism really shines in actual game situations at his NBA position so I'm not worried about any particular combine numbers. I'm biased towards this kind of player and I hope the Spurs think he's coachable. Just seeing that many Danny Green rundown transition blocks from a 15 game season is exciting.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay you're starting to sell me....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fwiw, not that it's worth anything at all, but Some of the enthusiast amateur groups like the No Ceilings crew were quite down on Holland, collectively having him outside the top 10 if I heard things right during the post lottery mock draft podcast

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fwiw, not that it's worth anything at all, but Some of the enthusiast amateur groups like the No Ceilings crew were quite down on Holland, collectively having him outside the top 10 if I heard things right during the post lottery mock draft podcast
    I mean I can't doubt anyone's having any opinion on any player this year. Is the guy gonna be good or suck? Yes. No. I don't know. It's Schrödinger's draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of the offensive highlights I've seen are in transition and opportunistic drives which is really just fine while he tries to work on his outside shot. His athleticism really shines in actual game situations at his NBA position so I'm not worried about any particular combine numbers. I'm biased towards this kind of player and I hope the Spurs think he's coachable. Just seeing that many Danny Green rundown transition blocks from a 15 game season is exciting.
    Ya - theres a lot to it and the more I watched the more I liked. Hollingers article really started to sell me as well and put things in a good perspective IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ron Holland? Yes, Ron Holland. Let’s start with the negatives first:

I think Holland is only going to measure 6-6 at the NBA Draft Combine, he shot a ghastly 24 percent from 3 in the G League, and his avert-your-eyes start to the G League season — including an 11-turnover game — had scouts shuddering.

Now, for the good news: He came into the year as the top-rated player on most boards, had better numbers with G League Ignite than any other one-and-done in its history … and somehow went careening down draft boards anyway, even in a draft year where absolutely nobody came in and claimed the top spot for themselves.

I don’t really get it. The biggest complaint with Holland is his lack of efficiency, but that was baked in the second Ignite built this roster. Virtually any teenager put in a situation where he has to carry a 30 percent usage rate is going to struggle; we saw it with LaMelo Ball in Australia and Scoot Henderson in Portland. Holland was no different, especially since he’s not a natural point guard in the first place. Playing on a team with no real creator, he often had to call his own number against loaded-up defenses.

Did he get tunnel vision once he put it on the floor? Absolutely. Was it so tragic to rule him out versus other non-overwhelming options? I don’t think so, especially as the season wore on.

Holland's numbers stack up well against Jalen Green’s with Ignite and are superior to every other Ignite perimeter player who has come through. That happened despite Holland missing the final two months of the season, when his increasing experience would have given him an edge and when the rest of the G League is at its most depleted due to call-ups and fewer assignment players.

In his Ignite season, Green posted a 15.4 PER with 61.3 percent true shooting; Holland had a 15.8 PER on 56.5 percent. The shooting numbers were bad, but Green played on a more coherent team and thus also was only asked to carry a 23 percent usage rate at this level, not Holland’s 28 percent. Also, keep in mind that Holland’s free-throw rate was pretty massive for a perimeter player; four free-throw attempts per game may not seem like much until you remember the G League shoots one attempt that counts for two points. Only 10 players in the whole G League matched his rate. And even with Holland’s brutal early turnover issues, his assist and turnover rates were essentially the same as Green’s age-18 season.

Green would be the No. 1 pick in this draft; I think Holland should be too.

The other reason to like Holland is his defense. His 3.5 percent steal rate stands out; some iffy gambles ed the total, but there is real talent (and fire) on this end. Overall, his rates of rebounds, steals and blocks compare favorably to former Ignite lottery pick Dyson Daniels, for instance, who has now become an awesome defender at the NBA level. I think Holland has similar pathways to being elite at this end.

On top of that, there’s the good ol’ eye test. I’ve seen Holland shoot a ton, both before games and during them, having watched him in person several times over the last year. He has a low push shot that needs some work, but he’s also not a 24 percent 3-point shooter. His 72.8 percent mark from the line is a more accurate tell on where he stands as a shooter — he isn't Stephen Curry, but his shot isn’t broken either. Just reaching the point where he makes one in three would make him a potent two-way wing, and that feels attainable.

Lastly, consider Holland’s age. With a July 2005 birthdate, he’s nearly a full year younger than several other players vying for places with him in the high lottery: He's six months younger than Rob Dillingham, nine months younger than Stephon Castle or Matas Buzelis and more than a year younger than Donovan Clingan and Reed Sheppard. Teams get caught on class year, but birth year is what matters.

It's not a slam dunk, and you could make a credible case for several players, but Holland has been the top player on my board since the 2023 Hoop Summit. He still has the best overall résumé.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sold

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean I can't doubt anyone's having any opinion on any player this year. Is the guy gonna be good or suck? Yes. No. I don't know. It's Schrödinger's draft.
    True. I wasn't posting merely as someone's difference of opinion, but in the context that some posters don't think there's a chance he slides even to 8. I was just offering something that could temper that specific pessimism.

And though they are of the amateur enthusiast set, I think 5 different enthusiast podcasters/video guys/writers that I followed or listened to their podcasts have been hired into NBA scouting departments the last few years. Coach Spins with the 76ers, the Hardwood Homies college kid (think it was the clippers), Matt Pennie (don't remember) and a couple of the Stepien alums. (Phoenix and Rockets???)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t see the Spurs drafting him unless they trade down from#8 and he’s still available.

SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd coming of Nephew?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You son of a , I'm in!

(Not really)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ive been saying for a bit that he's my #2 wing after Risacher. the non-shooting will be an issue early in his career, but wemby becoming more accurate from 3, Collins rebounding some, and our guard rotation hopefully including one of Dillingham/Sheppard could help counteract it. amen thompson worked out quite well playing as a forward without an outside shot when being surrounded by shooters like Jabari Smith at center after Sengun went down.

but his form doesnt look remotely as broken as the thompson twins, and he also jumped straight from the HS to NBA 3pt line

and as has been discussed in the other draft threads, picks 5-7 seem much more likely to be wing selections than point guards, so taking Holland at 4 has merit if we want to come away with a PG afterwards as well. i also wouldnt be opposed to giving up the #35 pick and a couple of other SRPs to move up a little from 8 to secure the PG we want

#35 feels unlikely to be a 2-way, and we dont want another rookie on the active roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I pretty much team Holland at this point…
    I'm with you. He is a solid #2 on my board behind Buzelis. Dillingham, Sheppard and Castle are right behind them (in that order) to close out my Tier I.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    has the 3rd best chance to be a bust out of the lottery players in my book.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    has the 3rd best chance to be a bust out of the lottery players in my book.
    sure but if you also asked me which player in this draft has the best chance to be a finals mvp in the next 8 years, Holland would probably be near the top of that list

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sure but if you also asked me which player in this draft has the best chance to be a finals mvp in the next 8 years, Holland would probably be near the top of that list
    probably true.

Thread Information