Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We hear some positives and some negatives about all the top draft picks, but what we should concentrate on are the intangibles. Sure two players can be 6 foot 5, but one will shoot just a bit better or one will play defense a bit better. However no player does it all.

What I look for is which player can help this team now, not two to three years from now when the team will probably have a totally different look. My example in this draft is Sheppard. Sure he's a tad smaller with a slight build but he has important skills like a good court sense, decent shooting and above average defense. A guard or two may be taken before him, but that might be a mistake. For example, Stef Curry and Rick Brunson, both small slight guys. Both had guards taken before them, but look where they are now, and how truly skilled they are now. Bet the spurs would have liked to have drafted either one of them in retrospect. I know Curry was drafted like 7th, but Brunson was a second rounder and Dallas just didn't want to pay him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop said that guys like Jokic and Jordan took seven or eight years to become true centerpieces.
    Jordan was MVP caliber by his second season and the best player in the league by his third season, while Jokic was MVP caliber by his fourth season and the best player in the league by his sixth season.

They didn't win championships until later because their teams weren't good enough.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan was MVP caliber by his second season and the best player in the league by his third season, while Jokic was MVP caliber by his fourth season and the best player in the league by his sixth season.

They didn't win championships until later because their teams weren't good enough.
    MJ was sixth in MVP voting averaging almost 29 ppg as a rookie. Allstar rookie too. He came into the league a top 10 player

Thread Information