Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SA fan since 03 playoffs spursparker9's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Apparently, TD had too much help. Playing with hall of famer D-Rob, veterans, Manu, Tony etc. And Timmy stayed on 1 team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed obviously salty Duncan took a championship off him.

So funny how a 29th pick little Frenchie and a 57th pick? Argentinian who any other franchise could have taken is considered too much help?

2003 especially was a 2nd year Frenchmen getting benched for Craig Claxton lol who, Manu 6th man, Robinson an old dude who had already announced his retirement. Bowen a SF who can't dribble, can't pass, can't do anything but defend

Sheed obviously so bitter Duncan took the 2005 championship right out of his hands.

Only all time greats make average help seem all time help

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation: Duncan doesn't fit their narrow minded definition of blackness.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching all these former players try so hard to push their agendas wherever they can and then watching Timmy joke around with RJ puts things into perspective.
    Who cares what people say? Accolades speak for themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed and Bonzi staying butthurt I see. 2005/2006 was a long time ago, let it go y'all. KG is the Walmart version of Tim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed obviously salty Duncan took a championship off him.

So funny how a 29th pick little Frenchie and a 57th pick? Argentinian who any other franchise could have taken is considered too much help?

2003 especially was a 2nd year Frenchmen getting benched for Craig Claxton lol who, Manu 6th man, Robinson an old dude who had already announced his retirement. Bowen a SF who can't dribble, can't pass, can't do anything but defend

Sheed obviously so bitter Duncan took the 2005 championship right out of his hands.

Only all time greats make average help seem all time help
    Sheed and Bonzi staying butthurt I see. 2005/2006 was a long time ago, let it go y'all. KG is the Walmart version of Tim
    can't forget Sheed getting skunked by Duncan and the Spurs on the 99 run when he was with Portland too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed didn’t age well at all. He sounds punch drunk.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Duncan aint black enough.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a shame Sheed is so Sheed...because he's one of the most talented players ever. Right up there with all the great bigs. He could have been a champion several times over if his head was actually on straight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, Duncan is not someone they would hang out with at the club and hence that's why they picked KG over him. It's the reason why I never take these current and former players seriously when it comes to their assessments of other players because it's based on whether they like that player as a person.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG was undoubtedly in a worst situation than TD.

Having said that, if Spurs had KG and Wolves had TD - we’d have no chips and Wolves would have multiple.

Really s me up how TD is considered to having all this great help, when players like Kobe and Magic had fellow Top 10 big men. Like Lebron and Jordan, TD elevates roleplayers. That’s what true all time greats do.

Sheed sounds and looks like he’s smoking crack.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Objectively, Duncan was better; as others have said, his T-Wolves teams would have been better with him than KG. KG only managed one ring with a ‘super team,’ correct? Him, and Pierce, and Ray Allen, and (then-good) Rondo, along with several other good role players.

Subjectively, Rasheed is biased and not someone whose opinion on the matter you should trust; he’s bitter Duncan deprived Rasheed of at least one (Spurs best Pistons) and probably two (Spurs beat Blazers) championships. Bonzi probably feels the same way, but I barely remember him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed and Bonzi smoking the wrong za

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed also thought it was a good idea to leave Horry open, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would anyone care what these weedheads think.

Tbh, Duncan being super low key works against his legacy but this goes way beyond the ordinary under appreciation. If he’s fine and cool with it then so should we. He’ll always get pushed down a few spots on the all time lists. Same will happen to Jokic eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 knuckleheads propping up another knucklehead over HOF top 10 or higher all timer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have seen a Tim Dunker vs KG playoff series.

Critical Game 4 MN vs Lakers 2003.
    MN up 2-1, can send the Lakers packing.

Kobme Bryant 7-25 with 17 FTAs.
    MN still lead the entire game until it was thrown to the Lakers in the 4th.

It was as rigged as the 2002 Kings game.

Kiwi, Advanced Stat Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (Don't yell at me too badly)...

There are smart people (e.g, Ben Taylor of thinking Basketball) who have KG above TD all time as a player in their prime, as his mobility on defense was better (not as good at the rim), he was a better shooter in general (though, not as good of a post player). There are things that KG was better than Tim at, and if they played in the current era of pace and space, and you anticipate a movement of KG out to the 3 point line rather than his 20 foot jumpers, I'd rather have KG over Tim.

I have TD above (primacy of rim protection, willingness to play as a 5 so the Spurs could access the lineups with Horry / Bonner which were +/- monsters), but I don't think it's outlandish to think KG was better as a player.

A lot of the difference comes down to accomplishments, and soft things like Tim's ability to mold his game over time and fit into different offensive roles, and adapt as a leader that kept the team together. Those leadership skills / intangibles are incredibly valuable as a franchise player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG: 1 ring as 3rd option

TD: 4 rings as 1st option, 1 ring as 2nd best player on the team

this is like saying Harden is better than LeBron

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There are smart people (e.g, Ben Taylor of thinking Basketball) who have KG above TD all time as a player in their prime, as his mobility on defense was better (not as good at the rim), he was a better shooter in general (though, not as good of a post player). There are things that KG was better than Tim at, and if they played in the current era of pace and space, and you anticipate a movement of KG out to the 3 point line rather than his 20 foot jumpers, I'd rather have KG over Tim.

I have TD above (primacy of rim protection, willingness to play as a 5 so the Spurs could access the lineups with Horry / Bonner which were +/- monsters), but I don't think it's outlandish to think KG was better as a player.

A lot of the difference comes down to accomplishments, and soft things like Tim's ability to mold his game over time and fit into different offensive roles, and adapt as a leader that kept the team together. Those leadership skills / intangibles are incredibly valuable as a franchise player.
    1. Being white, wearing glasses, speaking in a monotone voice and using advanced metrics doesn't make you "smart".

2. Era adjusting, which has become popular with comparisons, is foolish. We can only judge them within' the context of the era they played in and Duncan's superior rim protection, post defense and low post scoring made him more valuable.

The latter, in particular, led to being the most valuable thing in the sport, which was the hub of a championship offense, in a way Garnett's jump shooting never could.

It's the same reason why Olajuwon was better than Robinson and there's a wider gap between the peak "catch-all" metrics between them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whose “KG”??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KG was undoubtedly in a worst situation than TD.

Having said that, if Spurs had KG and Wolves had TD - we’d have no chips and Wolves would have multiple.

Really s me up how TD is considered to having all this great help, when players like Kobe and Magic had fellow Top 10 big men. Like Lebron and Jordan, TD elevates roleplayers. That’s what true all time greats do.

Sheed sounds and looks like he’s smoking crack.
    what worse situation you talking about? he fkn was earning like 6/10 of the wolves salary cap, cant build if ur franchise player aint taking paycuts,

rasho won 2 rings with td, but couldnt win in minne with that pos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I love watching thinking basketball but the heavy reliance of +/- was the general basis for having KG over duncan. It could be due to multiple things. The bench players was worse for KG than for Duncan, the entire system designed to be around only one player.

Defence wise duncan and KG were equal in my eyes. KG was more versatile but duncan was more impactful in those days due to the general styles.

KG also didn’t have the low post game required in those days while duncan was a master.

Finally, in terms of leadership KG just isn’t on the same level as Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheed a multiple time recipient of Duncan sending his ass on vacation. Obviously he's not gotten over it.

Thread Information