Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ever see that show MAX X?

It's like that with this Cartoon furor of Mohammed with bomb on head.

It's poor taste but hey that's free speech. They are going nuts over it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, protest is an exercise of free speech.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a tough test of intimidation for the press.

Will the press blink and back down?

The Egyptian-born owner of a French paper fired his top editor for publshing the cartoons.

Muslims in Europe have been and will continue to be a never-ending disaster for Europe.

The Muslim kids, esp the boys, drop out of school, no jobs, see widespread discrimination, ripe for radicalization and jihad, but they are European-born and hold local citizenship. Can't deport them.

Imagine if the 2nd generation Latinos born of illegal immigrants in USA decided they want to make jihad on USA and take back TX and CA for Mexico?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like the UK press already caved in

BBC NEWS

Straw condemns cartoon row press

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has condemned the decision by some European newspapers to reproduce cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad as "disrespectful".

But he praised the UK media for its "considerable responsibility and sensitivity" for not publishing them.

He said freedom of speech did not mean an "open season" on religious taboos.

British Muslims are preparing to protest outside the Danish embassy in London, after the cartoons first appeared in a Danish newspaper.

Among the images which have sparked outcry is one of Muhammad with a turban-shaped bomb on his head.

They have sparked protests across the Middle East.

On Thursday night a protest was held outside the BBC's Television Centre, after the corporation aired "glimpses" of the images, which it said it used "responsibly".

The editor of the Danish paper which first carried them has apologised, but newspapers in Spain, Italy, Germany and France have reprinted the material in a show of support.

'Religious taboos'

Speaking after talks with the Sudanese foreign minister, Mr Straw said: "There is freedom of speech, we all respect that.

"But there is not any obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory.

We have to be very careful about showing the proper respect in this situation
    Jack Straw

"I believe that the republication of these cartoons has been insulting, it has been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong.

"There are taboos in every religion. It is not the case that there is open season in respect of all aspects of Christian rites and rituals in the name of free speech.

"Nor is it the case that there is open season in respect of rights and rituals of the Jewish religion, the Hindu religion, the Sikh religion.

"It should not be the case in respect of the Islamic religion either.

"We have to be very careful about showing the proper respect in this situation."

'Question of judgement'

UK Muslims have denied that the reaction to the cartoons' reproduction has been a threat to freedom of speech.

It was a "question of exercising good judgement", said Inayat Bunglawala, from the Muslim Council of Britain.

This situation is ripe for exploitation by extremists
    Inayat Bunglawala, MCB

Mr Bunglawala told the BBC that any kind of cartoon that was derogatory to a race or group in a stereotypical way was "unacceptable".

"Of course Europe has the right to freedom of speech, and of course newspapers have the right to publish offensive cartoons. This was really a question about exercising good judgment," he said.

"Knowing full well the nature of these cartoons, they were offensive, deeply offensive to millions of Muslims, these newspaper editors should have exercised better judgment.

"Instead they have created a storm. This situation is ripe for exploitation by extremists.

"There is already a lot of tension between the Muslim world and Europe due to the war in Iraq and the current threat against Iran. It all comes at a very difficult time."

Demonstrators are set to gather at Regent's Park mosque in central London at 1400 GMT after Friday prayers and march to the Danish embassy in Sloane Street.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4676524.stm

Published: 2006/02/03 13:15:17 GMT

© BBC MMVI

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, protest is an exercise of free speech.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    free speech, I think the cartoons are kinda funny in a way,lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is the kind of thing that Muslims go overboard now-a-days. I mean moderates wouldn't really care, but it's just one cartoon in a EUROPEAN country. I mean who cares, people can get ticked off, but not call for murders. It's quite hypocritical of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL... I love that cartoon...

I remember on 9/11 they showed live Palastine celebrations, dancing up and down, burning our flag and Dubya effigies.

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IS THIS THE CARTOON IN QUESTION?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.

Sleeping With The Original Axis of Evil hussker's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh well...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's the outrage for all the terrorism in the name of Islam?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We must show respect, they don't. Like the terrorist bill of rights the
    dimm-o-craps want to pass. We have laws, rights and customs too. How
    bout they show a little respect. They can kiss where the sun never shines
    as far as I am concerned.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one of them.

Another showed the other Gods telling Mohammed not to worry, They All have been caricatured one timeor another.

Nasty stuff. Let's slaughter some infidels.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embassies burn in cartoon protest

Syrians have set fire to the Norwegian and Danish embassies in Damascus to protest at the publication of newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Protesters stormed the Danish site amid chants of "God is great", before moving on to attack the Norwegian mission.

Police fired tear gas to try to disperse crowds at the second site, but protesters broke in and set it ablaze.

The cartoons have sparked Muslim outrage across the world, following their publication in a Danish paper.

One depicts Muhammad as a terrorist. Any images of the Prophet are banned under Islamic tradition.

However, several European papers reprinted the cartoons, citing free speech.

The publications have prompted diplomatic sanctions, boycotts and death threats in some Arab nations.

In other developments:

* Palestinians protest in Gaza and the West Bank, as other demonstrators gather at the Danish embassy in London
    * A Jordanian editor sacked after publishing the cartoons is arrested
    * Iran says it should consider abandoning commercial and trade deals with countries where the cartoons have appeared
    * The Vatican says the right to freedom of expression does not imply the right to offend religious beliefs.

'We defend you'

Syrians have been staging sit-ins outside the Danish embassy since the row intensified earlier this week, when Damascus recalled its ambassador.

CARTOON ROW
    30 Sept: Danish paper publishes cartoons
    20 Oct: Muslim ambassadors complain to Danish PM
    10 Jan: Norwegian publication reprints cartoons
    26 Jan: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador
    30 Jan: Gunmen raid EU's Gaza office demanding apology
    31 Jan: Danish paper apologises
    1 Feb: Papers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain reprint cartoons

On Saturday, hundreds hurled stones and stormed the Danish site, before moving to the Norwegian embassy.

"With our blood and souls we defend you, O Prophet of God," they chanted outside the Danish building, which also houses the Swedish and Chilean missions.

Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with another reading: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

The embassy was closed, but it was not immediately clear if it was empty when the protests started.

Thick, black smoke rose from the building as firefighters struggled to put out the flames.

Ambulances rushed to the scene and dozens of policemen stood guard.

Danish 'distress'

In Copenhagen, the government called on its nationals to leave Syria at once.

On Friday, the Danish prime minister made a new bid to calm anger, by explaining his position over the publication to Muslim ambassadors.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen said he could never apologise for a newspaper's actions, but said he was "distressed" at offence caused.

The cartoons originated in Denmark's Jyllands-Posten paper and have been reprinted in newspapers in France, Germany, Italy, Hungary, the Netherlands and Spain - who say they were exercising their right to free speech.

Jyllands-Posten has apologised for causing offence to Muslims, although it maintains it was legal under Danish law to print the cartoons.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...st/4681294.stm

Published: 2006/02/04 19:42:14 GMT

© BBC MMVI

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I confess ignorance in this...but have there never been published pictures or shows depicting Jesus or some other Christian figure in a distasteful light? Any examples would be appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone can google for "Jesus cartoons" and find stuff, for example:

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...689434,00.html

Jesus cartoons get the OK
    13/04/2005 21:44 - (SA)

Athens - A Greek court has allowed a controversial Austrian book of cartoons portraying Jesus as a marijuana-smoking hippy to go on sale after it was previously banned for blasphemy.

Austrian cartoonist Gerhard Haderer initially had been found guilty and given a six-month suspended prison sentence in January for maliciously insulting the Orthodox Church and his book The Life of Jesus was banned in Greece.

The book, which had initially gone on sale in Greece in 2002, but was pulled from stores just days later after pressure from the country's powerful church, portrays Jesus as a hippy surfer who enjoys smoking marijuana with friends and celebrities, including Jimi Hendrix.

On Wednesday, an Athens appeals court ruled the book was not "blasphemous" and overturned the cartoonist's previous conviction.

Haderer had the support of many of the country's top cartoonists, who said the earlier court decision harmed the image of their country.

About 1 000 people had signed a pe ion, demanding the immediate lifting of the ban.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nordic uproar at Syrian protests

Denmark and Norway have condemned Syria for failing to stop attacks on their embassies in a row over the publication of contentious cartoons.

Syrians set fire to the Norwegian and Danish embassies in Damascus in protest at the publication of newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

The two Nordic countries said it was unacceptable that Syrian authorities had allowed protests to take place.

The two countries have called for their citizens to leave Syria.

'Inexcusable failure'

The US also criticised Syria's approach, saying it was "inexcusable" for such damage to be inflicted on diplomatic missions.

"The United States condemns in the strongest terms the burning of the Danish and Norwegian embassies in Damascus, Syria today, which also damaged the Chilean and Swedish embassies," a White House spokesman said.

"The government of Syria's failure to provide protection to diplomatic premises, in the face of warnings that violence was planned, is inexcusable."

Protesters had scaled the Danish site amid chants of "God is great", before moving on to attack the Norwegian mission.

The cartoons sparked Muslim outrage across the world, following their publication in a Danish paper in September.

One depicts Muhammad as a terrorist. Any images of the Prophet are banned under Islamic tradition.

CARTOON ROW
    30 Sept: Danish paper publishes cartoons
    20 Oct: Muslim ambassadors complain to Danish PM
    10 Jan: Norwegian publication reprints cartoons
    26 Jan: Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador
    30 Jan: Gunmen raid EU's Gaza office demanding apology
    31 Jan: Danish paper apologises
    1 Feb: Papers in France, Germany, Italy and Spain reprint cartoons

However, several European papers recently reprinted the cartoons, citing free speech.

The publications prompted diplomatic sanctions, boycotts and death threats in some Arab nations.

Two Jordanian editors who published the cartoons have been arrested.

Syrians have staged sit-ins outside the Danish embassy since the row intensified earlier this week, when Damascus recalled its ambassador.

Some removed the Danish flag and replaced it with another reading: "There is no god but God and Muhammad is the messenger of God."

The embassy was closed, and no diplomats were reported to have been injured in either attack.

Danish 'distress'

Outside the Norwegian embassy, police fired tear gas to try to disperse the protesters, but some broke in and set it ablaze.

Demonstrators also tried to storm the French mission, but were stopped.

On Friday, the Danish prime minister made a new bid to calm anger, by explaining his position over the publication to Muslim ambassadors.

Anders Fogh Rasmussen said he could never apologise for a newspaper's actions, but said he was "distressed" at offence caused.
    Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...st/4682388.stm

Published: 2006/02/05 03:52:11 GMT

© BBC MMVI

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion is the opiate (or in this case, the crystal meth) of the masses. This is just another case of a religion trying to impose their tenets on everyone.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Atheistic superiority complexes are the masturbation of the rest.

Religion is not at fault here any more than humankind in general is at fault. If these nutjobs didn't have religion they'd find some other cause for which to band together and impose their will.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how they chanted "God is Great", he insulted his prophet for Christ's sake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion is the opiate (or in this case, the crystal meth) of the masses. This is just another case of a religion trying to impose their tenets on everyone.
    Ernest Hemingway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was watching this PBS show about the U.S. revolution and people like George Washington. They where talking about how John Adams secured money from the Dutch and without that money we would of never won freedom. Now the Dutch are in this with Islam and we are too. Just thinkn' bout it.

Thread Information