Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Hill for starter...... Trade Parker for Oden... Parker isn't the same humble kid anymore. He's causing incidents with fans at airports, he's demanding to either be a starter or be traded, now he's blatantly making it known that he's getting in the best shape of his career now in order to prepare to leave the spurs to start the 2nd half of his career elsewhere after this season..... Wtf?!!
    Trade his ass now.... He's become too much like his wife -high maintenance

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wow, now i'm surprised.

It seems pretty clear that he won't be a spur next year...
    Two possibilities here, either that despite his big ego he knows that he ain't no franchise player and that td's career is coming to an end or that it had been said to him that he won't get a max deal from the spurs.
    Anyway if he made up his mind, you sure as look to move him right now to get some value in return. We can't afford to loose him to free agency without getting something back.
    +1

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him and try to get a good SG! Why let him go for free?
    We need a another big more than we need a SG. Even with Splitter "supposedly" coming, we still need another big that can protect the basket.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before everyone flips out, it's important to know the question before the statement. For example, the reporter could have said, "If San Antonio doesn't re-sign you when you are a free agent, how do feel about going elsewhere?"

And then Parker said (translated): "After next year i will have spent 10 years in SA. It's a great loop and a good challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave i can have another career, 8 or 9 years in another franchise."

I have seen reporters do it all the time in locker room, and then their articles never indicate what question was asked. It's good for sensationalism - but for actual journalism.

I'm not saying that's exactly what happened here, but I wouldn't get wound up about the statement until you know the question.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's true that the Spurs actively tried to trade Tony , then i dont blame him for thinking this way. It's a damn shame , that it has got to this. He sure is under-appreciated by fans but is a massive part of this team and it's history. He and Manu are the cornerstones of the team.The two the spurs need to revolve around going into the future.

From what was reported , both parties seemed on the same page leading up to the draft. Going by speculation it seemed otherwise. Spurs need to do
    their best to let tony know he's appreciated.

Tony in another uniform but the spurs, that is just hard to digest.
    All this talk are some pressure moves by Spurs and Parker around his extension:
    - Spurs put pressure on Parker by saying him they will trade him.
    - Parker put pressure on Spurs by saying he could go elsewhere next summer.

For the moment, both sides are just showing their muscles. Talks about an extension will start in July, let's hope both sides will be reasonable and reach an agreement.
    Yeah that's true. I haven't thought about it like that. I can understand it why he could have said it. Still, If he really said it like that, I think he should not have said it now. One year before. It could give mixed signals. But then again, as you say they are putting pressure

Before everyone flips out, it's important to know the question before the statement. For example, the reporter could have said, "If San Antonio doesn't re-sign you when you are a free agent, how do feel about going elsewhere?"

And then Parker said (translated): "After next year i will have spent 10 years in SA. It's a great loop and a good challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave i can have another career, 8 or 9 years in another franchise."

I have seen reporters do it all the time in locker room, and then their articles never indicate what question was asked. It's good for sensationalism - but for actual journalism.

I'm not saying that's exactly what happened here, but I wouldn't get wound up about the statement until you know the question.
    That's also possible. We don't know the exact context in which he said it nor is media to be trusted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I understand what you're saying here. But it's not like french readers care about where Tony plays. That doesn't make any headlines and that doesn't make the paper stand out that much.
    The only freaked ones are the french spurs (not especially Tony) fans wich means a handful .
    I'm french and maybe my countrymen won't agree but I read it this way : Pop and I talked, they tried to shop me but wouldn't get enough and dismissed the offers because they think we have one last chance to win a chip. I won't get a max extension because we ain't contender without TD at full force so I better seek money and le chances elsewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The internet article linked in the first post is a summary of an interview made for the newspaper. Since I've had the newspaper, I will tranlate the whole interview.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... but I read it this way : Pop and I talked, they tried to shop me but wouldn't get enough and dismissed the offers because they think we have one last chance to win a chip. I won't get a max extension because we ain't contender without TD at full force so I better seek money and le chances elsewhere.
    Sure, it could easily be read that way. It could also be that they didn't necessarily try to shop him, but got offers from the teams that he mentioned and turned them down. That his goal is to get a long term deal and that if San Antonio can't do that, he has prepared himself to make the best of going elsewhere.

Either way, I don't think it's that big of deal. Like someone else mentioned earlier, it's the same talk Manu had last year ... that he wanted a multi-year extension, that he loved San Antonio but you never know what could happen - he could end up elsewhere.

But just like with Manu, I think they'll end up trying to work out a good deal (for both sides) with Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I truly believe that if NY strikes out with the big name FAs this year that they will go after Parker next year with a max deal once Curry's contract is off the books.

You can't fix stupid..... E-RockWill's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much ado about nothing.......

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm glad TP is at least honest about his feeling 99% of the time. I can't hate the guy for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole interview:

Your ninth NBA season hasn't been the most successful one of your career. How do you feel about that?
    It's sure that it wasn't a good season, it was an average one. Every time I came back from an injury, I had another one! But when I think at it, I put it in perspective. I've been in NBA for 9 years and it's the first time I had a year like that. I have a hard time being disappointed. I've had a lot of luck since I'm in the NBA. However, I draw conclusions of this year for my future.

Is this difficult year the reason of you not playing the WC this summer?
    I've played a lot these past years. I've player the last 6 summers with FNT. I've always given the priority to FNT. This time, I've said to myself: "I will give the priority to Spurs". It's important for me too, it's my contract year and I have to play well. I think it's good that I take a full summer off and work on my body. After July 10th, I will have a physical trainer. I've never done that in the NBA! I think it well help me. And after an average season, I want to prove to everyone that it was just an accident.

Your have received some criticism for not playing the WC...
    Of course and it's logical. People say: " He is here, he isn't injured but he isn't playing!" but they don't understand that we aren't machines and that we need some rest. If I'm not playing well, if I'm not at 100% and I play the WC, they will also criticize me. I will never be able to win that argument.

Is spending some time with your wife been also a factor?
    It's sure that it was a factor. I wanted to spend some time with Eva. Since our wedding, I've played every summer with the FNT! (he smiled) In fact, I wanted more to please Eva than Spurs this summer!

And it's a crucial summer in your career. There is still one year left in your contract. Do you want to negotiate an extension with Spurs very fast?
    No, I don't. I rather wait to see where the big FAs will go this summer. I'm not in a hurry. I also really love SA and I want to stay for the last year of my contract to play with Tim and Manu. After that, I will be a FA and re-evaluate the situation.

And then maybe leaving Spurs?
    I will have been a Spur for 10 years. It could be the end of a great cycle and it could be a great challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave SA, I can have a second career with 8 or 9 years with another team.

However Spurs could trade you this summer. there have been some talks about NY and Portland.
    It's logical that there are some rumors. I've the highest trade value of the team. Anyway, I've talked with Pop and he says me that I will go nowhere. It's true that NY and Portland were the two most serious options but Spurs have said no to them.

Speaking about that, there will have rumors the whole summer with high level free agents.
    I will be huge. I will change the face of the NBA and for me, it's important. Next summer, I will know where everyone is and it will be easier to choose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what Portland offered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm also curious. They definitely have a couple of things worth accepting for TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Andre Miller, Webster, Rudy / Batum, picks, cash. Something along these lines, I would imagine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The whole interview:

Your ninth NBA season hasn't been the most successful one of your career. How do you feel about that?
    It's sure that it wasn't a good season, it was an average one. Every time I came back from an injury, I had another one! But when I think at it, I put it in perspective. I've been in NBA for 9 years and it's the first time I had a year like that. I have a hard time being disappointed. I've had a lot of luck since I'm in the NBA. However, I draw conclusions of this year for my future.

Is this difficult year the reason of you not playing the WC this summer?
    I've played a lot these past years. I've player the last 6 summers with FNT. I've always given the priority to FNT. This time, I've said to myself: "I will give the priority to Spurs". It's important for me too, it's my contract year and I have to play well. I think it's good that I take a full summer off and work on my body. After July 10th, I will have a physical trainer. I've never done that in the NBA! I think it well help me. And after an average season, I want to prove to everyone that it was just an accident.

Your have received some criticism for not playing the WC...
    Of course and it's logical. People say: " He is here, he isn't injured but he isn't playing!" but they don't understand that we aren't machines and that we need some rest. If I'm not playing well, if I'm not at 100% and I play the WC, they will also criticize me. I will never be able to win that argument.

Is spending some time with your wife been also a factor?
    It's sure that it was a factor. I wanted to spend some time with Eva. Since our wedding, I've played every summer with the FNT! (he smiled) In fact, I wanted more to please Eva than Spurs this summer!

And it's a crucial summer in your career. There is still one year left in your contract. Do you want to negotiate an extension with Spurs very fast?
    No, I don't. I rather wait to see where the big FAs will go this summer. I'm not in a hurry. I also really love SA and I want to stay for the last year of my contract to play with Tim and Manu. After that, I will be a FA and re-evaluate the situation.

And then maybe leaving Spurs?
    I will have been a Spur for 10 years. It could be the end of a great cycle and it could be a great challenge for me to go elsewhere. If I leave SA, I can have a second career with 8 or 9 years with another team.

However Spurs could trade you this summer. there have been some talks about NY and Portland.
    It's logical that there are some rumors. I've the highest trade value of the team. Anyway, I've talked with Pop and he says me that I will go nowhere. It's true that NY and Portland were the two most serious options but Spurs have said no to them.

Speaking about that, there will have rumors the whole summer with high level free agents.
    I will be huge. I will change the face of the NBA and for me, it's important. Next summer, I will know where everyone is and it will be easier to choose.
    Thanks for translating Bruno

Now we see more in the context where he said it. I've interpreted it wrong in the beginning. It's nothing. No need for panic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like he's as good as gone after next season. He said himself that he's not interested in negotiating an extension.

Trade him and get something for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like he's as good as gone after next season. He said himself that he's not interested in negotiating an extension.

Trade him and get something for him.
    No, he said he's not in a hurry. Relax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Andre Miller, Webster, Rudy / Batum, picks, cash. Something along these lines, I would imagine.
    I've heard in interviews from PGs saying that Andre Miller is the most underrated PG in the league, but he's 34 years old and that not enough bait. That, Rudy Fernandez, Nicholas Batum, on top of maybe Bayless and a 1st would have been alright, but I don't think it's worth giving up TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well that's a stupid thing to say.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sounds to me like they realize that this is the last year the spurs have to win a championship. Spurs probably will not resign parker because they do not think that he will keep him at that level.

Spurs always have a plan. They have invested serious money in this year and last year. After that, they will begin to rebuild. The run has to end and Tony being the youngest will be the player to go while Tim and Manu get to retire in the Spurs uniform. I hope we put up a good fight and make it to the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, he said he's not in a hurry. Relax.
    I am relaxed.

He said he's not in a hurry because he wants to see where all the big name free agents land this summer. Translation: I want to see which teams are gonna be contenders in the future. He already made it clear that he thinks the Spurs only have one more run left in them. Now he's talking about finishing his career with another team. Take off the homer goggles and read between the lines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for translating Bruno

Now we see more in the context where he said it. I've interpreted it wrong in the beginning. It's nothing. No need for panic.
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive got no problem with Tony saying that after 10 seasons in San Antonio he might want a change. He has paid his dues, been loyal to the franchise and deserves to see what he can get on the open market. Hopefully he decides to stay in SA after next year, but if not, I think 10 years is plenty enough to earn my respect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am relaxed.

He said he's not in a hurry because he wants to see where all the big name free agents land this summer. Translation: I want to see which teams are gonna be contenders in the future. He already made it clear that he thinks the Spurs only have one more run left in them. Now he's talking about finishing his career with another team. Take off the homer goggles and read between the lines.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. For as long as he gives his all next season, which I'm pretty sure he will, then all is good. Everything has an end my friend, and we sure made the most of what we had and will make a of a run with what we do right now ;-)

Thread Information